Swamphunter Posted September 15, 2008 Report Share Posted September 15, 2008 I am switching over the bullets that I am shooting from Sierra Pro Hunter 150gr SPT's and also 180gr SPT's. I am shooting these with IMR 4350 powder. I would like to mix things up a bit and maybe shoot a ballistic tip bullet as my rifle does not have a drop floor plate...and after several times of loading and unloading, the tips of my lead bullets tend to take a bit of a beating. Plus I am a tinkerer...just need to muck with it....I would like a bullet suggestion for whitetails out to about 175-200 yards, but mostly at less than 75 yards. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted September 15, 2008 Report Share Posted September 15, 2008 Maybe try the 180 gr. Speer Grand Slam. It has a protected type lead nose and is also murderous on whitetails and about anything else in N.A. I believe you can get a Partition like that as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mailmanmark Posted September 17, 2008 Report Share Posted September 17, 2008 Bullet suggestions Try the Barnes TSX. A little pricey but well worth it. I've had excellect results in a .270 and I'm sure .30 would be no different. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redgreen Posted September 20, 2008 Report Share Posted September 20, 2008 The mangled tips will not affect accuracy. The tip is shed long before the bullet arrives on target. I have found that the ballistic tips are too fragile for my liking. You can try the grand slams or the mag tips, but if the sierra's are working, why fix it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bowhntr Posted September 26, 2008 Report Share Posted September 26, 2008 Two words...Nosler Accubond Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bwlacy Posted September 29, 2008 Report Share Posted September 29, 2008 Barnes TSX I shoot them in a .300 H&H. I've shot whitetails from 90 to 300 yards with the 180's and have had great results on all of them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.