Planning an Elk hunt...

Jorden

...and was hoping you guys could help me on a few things. We are looking into booking a hunt with me, my brother, my dad and grandpa and are considering hunts in colorado, montana, new mexico or utah. We are looking for an outfitted hunt so do you guys know of good outfitters you have hunted with or heard of. Also, what units are good ones to apply in with chances at decent bulls.

Those are really some wide open questions. A little info, for most of the good units, you are either going to need to be real lucky or you will have to buy a landowner tag, which will normally be in addition to the outfitter cost.

In Colorado you can buy over the counter elk tags for the open units in 2nd & 3rd season, but your odds of a good bull are low. The draw tags are based soley on who has the most preference points.

In New Mexico, you have a true lottery system, no pref. points or bonus points, but you can up your odds of being drawn by signing up with an outfitter before the draw.

Utah & Wyoming both have a points system, where part of the draw goes to those with the most points and parts goes in a random draw, weighted towards those with the most points, but someone with no points does have a chance.

I haven't figured Montana's draw out yet, it seems to be a bit more complicated.

One suggestion I would make to someone who is new to the western states way of doing things is you might want to subscribe to The Huntin' Fool. They have a monthly magazine that goes in depth in each state on how to apply for their draw. They also have recommendations on what they feel are the best units in the state, of course the odds of being drawn in those units are long, but it does help you understand what needs to be done. They also have a list of recommended outfitters.

If you have some more specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Those are really some wide open questions. A little info, for most of the good units, you are either going to need to be real lucky or you will have to buy a landowner tag, which will normally be in addition to the outfitter cost.

I am not looking for the best units with the biggest bulls, just one where you have the opportunity at decent ones

I haven't figured Montana's draw out yet, it seems to be a bit more complicated.

Read in my Cabelas T.A.G.S. magazine that it is their opinion that your money is better spent applying for tags in other states...found that interesting

Montana is actually quite simple - if you are using a guide, you are guaranteed a tag using a specific guide as your sponsor. You can only hunt with that guide though - I believe the cost in 2008 was $1400 per person. If you don't want to use a guide then you simply apply for a non-resident tag ($590) and if you get it, you can hunt anywhere in the state (according to the regulations for each district) with or without a guide. You are also eligible to apply for a trophy district once you have drawn your general tag. As you can see, the cost is significantly more to use a guide, but the tag is guaranteed!

Sorry I don't have much info on specific guides, but there are plenty of guides with web pages. There are lots of great places to hunt and plenty of quality guides in the state. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Mark