What do you do with your harvested coyote?

fly

I've never taken a coyote, but given the chance I would.

No one hunts them much and they can reduce turkey populations quickly. I gave one a hair cut at 30 yards while archery deer hunting yesterday.

After the shot I started to think about what I would do with one if I got one.

I heard about rugs and mounts, but is there any other use you all have with a dead coyote? I might do a rug for my first one, but then what?

If you have any pictures of rugs or mounts I'd like to see them.

I usually leave them unless it is close to the house. Buzzards got to eat too.

I want them gone period. They are rough on the turkeys and the fawns, not to mention they could easily take down a calf, which would cost me money.

Never have really considered a rug on a yote, but wanted to make a mount/rug from the grey fox I shot a few weeks ago. Unfortunately that little booger must have found a nearby hole in the side of one of these hills because we never could find it, rain washed away what blood there was.

I'm thinking they would make a nice rug-style wall mount for a den. I have some good DIY descriptions of how to prepare and tan your own hides. That would make a prtty good winter project.

Any more after the first one, and I would consider selling the furs. No, I'm not going to get rich, but it might help pay for the ammo or something.

Doc

Guest oddg241

Fur Buyers

Check your newspaper want ads for fur buyers. Some years the prices get pretty good and with a lot of snow the hides will be better than the mild winters. You don't even have to skin them. They buy them whole. At least out here they do.

This time of year, with their thick fur, they can make a neat wall mount. But usually I don't have much left of them, so I cut off their tail and hang them on the fence or gate! Kinda neat driving by and seeing 4 or 5 tails blowing in the wind!

In some parts around here, hunters will hang the yote carcass on the fence next to the road. That's sort of an old tradition in these parts!

In some parts around here, hunters will hang the yote carcass on the fence next to the road. That's sort of an old tradition in these parts!

I'm guessing it's an old tradition that probably does not endear a whole lot of non-hunters or put them in a very supportive frame of mind.

Doc

Doc, hogs and coyotes are considered evil in some parts of Texas. They eat the deer feed and chase the game. When I was in Iraan,Tx last year on a Rio hunt, the ranch manager made us promise if we saw a predator or a hog/javelina we would shoot it. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a anti hunter or even someone to object to coyote carcass mistreatment down there.

It shows others you are doing your share of predator control by hanging them on the fence. It is Texas ,not NY where we need to tip toe around our sport not to hurt others feelings or encourage the anti hunting sentiment.

Yeah.......I suppose. To me it just seems to be a bit of "in-your-face" that may lose it's real significance on those that aren't hunters or farmers. I don't know......it's just something that I probably wouldn't do, and really can't see any good reasons for it. It seems like it would be much easier to just throw them in the grass rather than making some big display of rotting corpses. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose that comes from living in a whole different part of the country with a whole different culture.:confused:

We hear so much about how hunters should respect their kill, and that is one of the pro-hunting mantras that we try to sell the public. This practice just seems to directly oppose that thought. At any rate, I suppose it's not a big deal. It just kind of struck me a bit wrong is all.

Doc

Thanks for the suggestions.

Most people around here don't like coyotes much but wouldn't be fond of seeing a dead one out on display either. Now if I lived in one of the uptight local sub-divisions that require non-colored christmas light displays and portable basketball goals only I'd hang it up just to get their yote (I mean goat).:D

• 2 weeks later...