2009 RT Alaska Moose Hunt

mrswtnhunt

I'm not 100% sure William, but I'd have to say Steve aimed that one at me, due the comments I made about the down right tossing around I took in a small plane from Denver to Gillette in one heck of a thunderstorm ... ;)

It was one heck of a free fall, roller coaster ride ... enough of a ride to give me a migraine .. :jaw:

Worth every minute of it, once I was there ... :)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello to everybody from Alaska!!! We are all sitting here in Kathleen's garage. We all made it fine. A few had some flight problems but we all made it. The train ride from Anchorage was amazing. We did see some moose from the train. We are fixing to head to town and get everyone's tags and grab a bite to eat. Thanks to everyone for wondering about us. My hubby and I have talked several times and he will post updates for us. More later.

Hmmmm, not sure if this is aimed at Luke or who.:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Was my wife and 13 year old daughters first time ever on a plane, and I was a little nervous. They actually enjoyed the flight from Chicago to Anchorage on the larger plane, and my wife has quite a story to tell when she gets back about that flight and how her being a nurse she was called on for help. The plane they were on from Memphis was apparently a very small plane and it was quite a bumpy ride in some bad weather, probably not the best feeling for them as first time fliers. lol.

I was more nervous about their connection and their bags than anything else. Stepfather was a pilot and he always had small planes and later on ultralights. Flown too many times when I was younger(both small private planes and on commercial flights large and small planes), and agree that it is for the most part much safer in the air than on the ground.

Maybe so Steve, don't know. I will continue to check in here and also in Christina's blog and post updates as I get them. They should all be on the train, and the train should be getting ready to leave for Seward.

The season opens for them on the 20th. They will get settled in today, and everyone will get their tags and anything else they need and get their guns checked out and ready.

no, my poking fun was meant for everyone. just keep in mind that it was only meant to be good humored fun. i'm very happy everyone got there in good shape. this is the start of something great. wish i were there.

Hello to everybody from Alaska!!! We are all sitting here in Kathleen's garage. We all made it fine. A few had some flight problems but we all made it. The train ride from Anchorage was amazing. We did see some moose from the train. We are fixing to head to town and get everyone's tags and grab a bite to eat. Thanks to everyone for wondering about us. My hubby and I have talked several times and he will post updates for us. More later.

Now I know you're there! Glad you enjoyed the train. My wife and I did too!

...we were all pretty much squared away with our gear, packs by the the time it got dark last night....lol-

-Catrina and Christina and I picked blueberries for on top of everyones' cereal this morning....

-assembling rifles, loading the range gear...-headed out to the range for a bit-

-Kirk and Terry hiking out to the lake, and a spur -of -the moment mystery guest hike out to the lake late morning...Norm and Two fly out with the boat motor, fishing gear and gas in the floats at 3:00pm(dep. on weather of course- things can change quickly-)

-the girls and I are heading up either into the bowl of Mt Alice, or up Bear Mtn for a 9 or 10 hr excurision today....-going to meet up with the guys out at the lake in 2 days -we hopefully will have at least a bear down before then....maybe will surprise the guys....

-I fill the clouds will lift early afternoon....-don't pay attention too much to the weather reports.....

-us girls will update here, tonight-

-so awsome that everyone is finally here.....

-kathleen

Sounds like things are quite busy already .... :)

I'll be looking for that update tonite .. THANKS Kathleen .. :)

Try and get a group picture if you can .. that would be awsome .. :)

Talked with Catrina this morning she said things were very busy there. Said her time is flying by, also said it is kind of a surreal feeling. Catrina said my disassembled .270 looked to have made the trip fine,:cool2: whew(that was a concern). Hopefully after they get it put back together it is still dead on for them.

Yep, put up some pics and or a video clip;) if you get a chance Kathleen. Going to be rough waiting until the girls get home to see all the pics they have taken.

Mystery guest, hmmm.;) Now I would not be at liberty to take a guess at who that might be now would I.:rolleyes::D:D

Got a good feeling that someone is going to fill a tag tomorrow.

...we were all pretty much squared away with our gear, packs by the the time it got dark last night....lol-

-Catrina and Christina and I picked blueberries for on top of everyones' cereal this morning....

-assembling rifles, loading the range gear...-headed out to the range for a bit-

-Kirk and Terry hiking out to the lake, and a spur -of -the moment mystery guest hike out to the lake late morning...Norm and Two fly out with the boat motor, fishing gear and gas in the floats at 3:00pm(dep. on weather of course- things can change quickly-)

-the girls and I are heading up either into the bowl of Mt Alice, or up Bear Mtn for a 9 or 10 hr excurision today....-going to meet up with the guys out at the lake in 2 days -we hopefully will have at least a bear down before then....maybe will surprise the guys....

-I fill the clouds will lift early afternoon....-don't pay attention too much to the weather reports.....

-us girls will update here, tonight-

-so awsome that everyone is finally here.....

-kathleen

It is so awesome these folks are getting to experience this. It really makes me smile. I pray everyone stays safe and continues to have a great time.

Say hi to Terry and the Kids from me and Mary. It would have been great to be there.

Seems someone knows the answer to a secret .. spill the beans Mr ... :hammer1:

LMBO.:D:D:D I may be wrong Luke, could be more than just the one I know about. Little birdy did tell me of one person who made the trip who was a surprise though.;)

Sorry bud, gonna have to wait for Kathleen to say who, sworn to secrecy.:taped::rolleyes::D

What is the name of this lake you guys are going to, and which side of the lake will you all be hunting on ?

I'd like to know where you are at and look it up on google earth.

They are at Crescent Lake Steve.

Now I know you're there! Glad you enjoyed the train. My wife and I did too!

The girls really enjoyed the caribou sausage you suggested too Leo. ;):cool:

The girls really enjoyed the caribou sausage you suggested too Leo. ;):cool:

Oh Yeah! That's stuff is great! Glad they liked it. I'm glad they were serving it on the train when they went.

After about 15 minutes on that train you really really start to feel like you are in Alaska. It's very humbling.

OK, this is Crescent Lake :)

Click on pics to enlarge:

[ATTACH]3984[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3985[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3987[/ATTACH]

This is one of the trail into Crescent Lake that they may be hiking.

Great pictures

Link:

http://neilmoomey.com/trips/2005_Crescent_Lake/

This may even be the Forestry cabin they are staying at, although there are a few along the lake.

IMG_6247_600.jpg

Here are a few pics I pulled up off of Google earth.

The first one is the Crescent Lake area.

CrescentLakeAK.jpg

This is the Crescent Saddle Cabin. (Not sure if this is the one Kathleen is refering to or not.)

CrescentSaddleCabin.jpg

The next two are the scenery at and around Crescent Lake.

CrescentSaddleshore.jpg

CrescentLakeIslands.jpg

Yeah, it sure is beautiful and wild looking country Jeff. I forgot about these pics.

well..... c'mon. where's the updates?

Don't know if Kathleen will post an update tonight or not, but they should be getting back soon Steve. Assuming it is still light out in Alaska right now. My daughter called waking me up about an hour ago, they were about to head back in.

Norm and Mike did get flown in to Crescent Lake on the float plane today. Everyone should be out hunting tomorrow.