Antelope hunting

fisherguy

Guest Colorado Bob

Re: Antelope hunting

Antelope hunting is just plain FUN. As far as which rifle or caliber. That's just a lot of opinion & bias. I personally would steer clear of the 710. I would look at a Savage if cost is a factor. It's very accurate & the Accu-trigger has been getting great reviews. Caliber----well antelope are not tough to kill. I use a 30/06 but a 270 would also be a great choice. If you plan on future hunts---elk, mule deer, black bears------ The 30/06 is never a bad choice. The 300 WSM does not gain that much over the ole 06----then add in the additional cost in ammo----I'll stick with the 30/06. Good Luck, CB

Antelope---for a DIY hunt---WY is the best choice. Lots of speed goats & public ground. They are a ton of fun to spot & stalk. They have great eyes--you'll need to use the lay of the land to plan your stalk.

colorado bob has it right. there are more antelope in wyoming than people, and more than all the other states put together. match that with 52% of the state being pulbic land, and you'll have a good shot at getting an antelope. (punny, huh). the light 243 is a great gun, as is the 25-06. but, if you bring a heavier gun, go with a lighter bullet. bring good binocs and/or a spotting scope. antelope have 10 power eyes, can run at 72mph, and have same hearing as a whitetail. read that last sentence again, as it means 1) no running shots, 2) you'll have to see them first and stay hidden, and 3) be quiet. looks like a great year for antelope. light winter, and good horn growth.

Guest Colorado Bob

G-Daddy-----Sounds like your are set to go. You'll have a blast. Antelope hunting is the most fun hunt I think there is. One word of advice is to skin the antelope as soon as possible. Get the meat cool--quick. Also if you are planning to a mount of the antelope. The hair is loose & is prone to slipping. I caped mine & got it to the taximermist as soon as possible. I put some dry ice in the cooler with the hide until i got it to him. Check with your's----maybe you'll have to freeze it to make it back.

CB

My son is the taxidermist - although he's not yet done an antelope. I'll pass your advice on to him. Our outfitter has a few freezers available. This will be our first hunt for antelope as we have gone exclusively for mule deer in late November before. The outfitter had the opening week available and asked us to try that instead of later. There will be three of us and he said at least two should draw antelope tags.

the only time i went antelope hunting i used a 270. dropped the goat like a rock at about 300 yards. my dad also used a 25-06. i wouldnt recommend much more seeing how almost every antelope i have ever seen shot have just dropped. i dont know if they are weaker than a deer but i havent seen one run off after being shot.

Guest Colorado Bob

hunt--gun Antelope is an excellant DIY hunt. Go to WY. I would say it would be 100%. You just have too not shoot the 1st one you see. Look at few----try & judge what is a good looking goat. Then go have a ball. If you blow a stalk----no big deal they are more antelope just around the bend.

G-Daddy-------You'll have a ball. I guarantee it won't be your last antelope hunt.

[ QUOTE ]

hunt--gun Antelope is an excellant DIY hunt. Go to WY. I would say it would be 100%. You just have too not shoot the 1st one you see. Look at few----try & judge what is a good looking goat. Then go have a ball. If you blow a stalk----no big deal they are more antelope just around the bend.

G-Daddy-------You'll have a ball. I guarantee it won't be your last antelope hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet deal c-bob!! I am going....just dunno when. smile.gif Going to look some stuff up and hopefully get a trip planned out for the future!!

[ QUOTE ]

25-06 is all you need get a nef single shot with a good scope and pratice a lot and antelope have eyes compared to 8x and the speed is 60mph

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the 25-06.......flat and fast.......and they are equally tough on deer also.... wink.gifI used my Remington 700 in a 25-06 to shoot this goat at a Nikon ranged 303 yards, this last October..... smile.gif

173902004RifleAntelope2-med.JPG

Here is the whitetail I downed with it last November....

173902004RifleBuck-med.JPG

I may have alot of other calibers in the cabinet, but the 25-06 is and always has been my go to rifle....from coyote to antelope to deer.......it does a fantastic job. wink.gif

Awesome pics inrut. Seen them before, but I have to admit, you take some of the best trophy pics on RT....they never get old. .25-06 has been on my "to-get" list for several months now. Plan on getting it in a 98 Mauser action and then finishing and bedding a walnut thumbhole stock....should be pretty sweet. Thanks again for the pics!

Im going on my first hunt in WY this up coming October, just outside new castle. Does anyone know of any good internet sources with information on these guys. All I know is they have great eye sight and run like the wind. Im left handed, but Im going to borrow my buddies Rh Ruger 25-06. I think it should work fine.

[ QUOTE ]

Im left handed, but Im going to borrow my buddies Rh Ruger 25-06. I think it should work fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make the first shot count. wink.gif Or, you could go buy an H&R Handi Rifle in the caliber of your choice (I know I would pick .25-06) for around $200!!!!! Maybe less!! Heard they are deadly accurate and you can add barrels!! But again, you'd have to make the first shot count, but honestly, that's the way I like it (uh-huh, uh-huh grin.gif)

Typical shot range if you do your homework, and do a put on a good stalk, is gonna be in the 150-250 yards range...sometimes necessity calls for a little longer......shoot within your means, don't take pot shots....

To me it is better than venison.........it is usually the first meat to leave my freezer during the course of the year...........the key is to skin the animal as fast as possible and get the meat colled down asap......I take a couple extra coolers with me full of ice, and a 5 gallon jug of fresh water. When I get a "goat" down, I skin and quarter it on the spot, wash the quarters up, and get the meat on ice........no chance for it to ruin then.........and if it is during the rut, try to keep from touching the hind legs and then the meat if you can......I try to loop some nylon rope and peg them off, to keep from transferring that ruttin' scent from the hair to the meat.....wash your hands a couple times as you go.......it may seem like alot of extra work, but believe me, it will pay off when it's on your plate...trust me.... wink.gif

Guest Colorado Bob

hoyt------I use 150 grain bullet out of my 30/06. Anything smaller IMO is a varmit bullet & will "explode" on impact----creating a larger & shallow wound. The 150 punches thru the ribs or shoulder & will take out the lungs. CB