Wyoming Antelope @ Steve B's

Swamphunter

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve: A question: I have hunted antelope in North and South Dakota (stalking and decoying) with no luck. I am always aware of the rattlesnake that might be in the area. This Sept. I will be hunting around the Cheyenne area and will try a blind near a water hole. I will sent up three different blinds and choose the best. Should I be concerned entering these blinds with a snake in them. In other words do the snakes migrate to the blinds for more cover then other places on the plains??

thanks

the dog (doc marty)

Steve: A question: I have hunted antelope in North and South Dakota (stalking and decoying) with no luck. I am always aware of the rattlesnake that might be in the area. This Sept. I will be hunting around the Cheyenne area and will try a blind near a water hole. I will sent up three different blinds and choose the best. Should I be concerned entering these blinds with a snake in them. In other words do the snakes migrate to the blinds for more cover then other places on the plains??

thanks

the dog (doc marty)

you bet you check your blind for snakes. all the time. one bite is all it takes to ruin your hunt.

the rut about to start and the antelope are herding up and travelling a bunch. things seem to be picking up some.....:)

The tent sleeps good. My 2 nights at Steve's were peaceful rest. Steve is a great host with a great family.

Snakes? Hot dry plains + watering holes with frogs= snake possibilities.

Antelope? You better believe there are antelope at Steve's place. We set up 2 blinds the morning I left. At the first location we saw 2 bucks sparring and a bigger one annoyed by their antics. He knew it wasn't quite time yet. The rancher drove by and said a buck was at the tank we had set a blind up on. We peaked over the hill at another other blind and saw a doe and 2 fawns hitting the water- so to saw the antelope are hitting the water--- yes and yes.

Steve had a neat spot with a low watering hole. You have to keep your head on straight if you sit this blind. The antelope have tons of acres to roam, but you won't see them till they are 50 yards out. Once we set up the blind and popped up over the hill there was a buck watching his does. We drove out and saw 4 bucks rubbing a small tree- can you anticipation?

thats great.. how many times have you found snakes in the blind, or had them come in while you were in there.

how many times? never. but they are there, they like the waterholes and they like the shade. so i always look.

got a bit of bad news. the tink moblie is having problems and tink won't be able to make it. looks like randy o has a nice hay bale blind.