Wyoming Antelope @ Steve B's

Swamphunter

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Steve! What are you guys doing about the meat? Are you guys taking it to get cut and wrapped or are you all doing it yourself? I was thinking of saving some money and quartering and bagging it up and putting it in a cooler on ice and butcher it when I get home. That's usually what we do when we go rifle antelope hunting here in SD. :cool: Your thought? :confused:

Dakota :)

The way I understood it Dakota, is that it had to be cut and wrapped before leaving the state. I could be wrong though. :)

buckees blind is still hot. there are 2 real shooters hanging out there. i am done hunting for a few days i have to go back out to the mountains and reshoot my pics. the story is a sad one. but im going to get to see the Tetons and Yellowstone again. :)i plan on getting back on sat and hunting some more and leaving early mon day morning.

Tony

buckees blind is still hot. there are 2 real shooters hanging out there. i am done hunting for a few days i have to go back out to the mountains and reshoot my pics. the story is a sad one. but im going to get to see the Tetons and Yellowstone again. :)i plan on getting back on sat and hunting some more and leaving early mon day morning.

Tony

Yay! I get to meet Tony! :D Hey, how much does it cost to get it processed and wrapped? :confused:

:cool:

Edited by Dakota

Originally Posted by Dakota viewpost.gif

Hey Steve! What are you guys doing about the meat? Are you guys taking it to get cut and wrapped or are you all doing it yourself? I was thinking of saving some money and quartering and bagging it up and putting it in a cooler on ice and butcher it when I get home. That's usually what we do when we go rifle antelope hunting here in SD. :cool: Your thought? :confused:

Dakota :)

The way I understood it Dakota, is that it had to be cut and wrapped before leaving the state. I could be wrong though. :)

Might want to do some checking with your state as well as with Wyoming there Dakota. I know Randy(Randy in Wisconsin) and I have talked some about transporting any deer I may kill up there home. Tennessee does not allow deer from that state as well as any other that have had reported cases of cwd into the state unless the meat is completely deboned. Best as I recall it said nothing about it needing to be wrapped or packaged. My plan was like yours, since I am driving, will take a large cooler with me and pack quartered deboned meat in ice and take care of packaging it all when I return home. Any skull has to be clean as well.

Dakota,

When I got my antelope in 2007 it cost me 75.00 to get it processed and frozen. It has to be off of the bone to take it across the state line.

See you next week,

Randy

Thanks for that info. For years I have taken my whitetail home from Wyoming just quartered out and done the rest at home. Looks like if I am lucky this year I will de-bone him before leaving.

good luck to all

the dog

Dakota,

I can't quite remember but I was thinking it cost me around $120 to have mine caped for mount and processed... otherwise you could always bone it yourself to save a few bucks. I might still have my receipt at home... I'll let you know if I find it.

Thanks Whisky! :cool: I'm thinking I might just bone it out there and see if I can get a little help with the cape just to save some cash. I need to pick up a Mathews dead-end stop for my Monster before I leave too. $120 isn't that bad...but now I'm questioning the wisdom of purchasing a doe tag when I get out there. :no: Well...I guess I can always be like Luke and miss! :D Just kiddin' you, bud! ;) Hey Randy, are you bringing the Monster out? :D Lisa Vileta says hi by the way. :cool:

:p:D

Thanks Whisky! :cool: I'm thinking I might just bone it out there and see if I can get a little help with the cape just to save some cash. I need to pick up a Mathews dead-end stop for my Monster before I leave too. $120 isn't that bad...but now I'm questioning the wisdom of purchasing a doe tag when I get out there. :no: Well...I guess I can always be like Luke and miss! :D Just kiddin' you, bud! ;) Hey Randy, are you bringing the Monster out? :D Lisa Vileta says hi by the way. :cool:

Now that you've seen me shoot, you might want to be careful there my friend .. :p:D

I still haven't figured out what happen with my shooting out there .. guess it just wasn't meant to be .. ;)

I wonder how Ken, Tony and the rest are fairing ...

I wish I could divert the plane to Gillette on my way home from here. The trip sounds like a blast.

It cost me an extra $200 to process and have my antelope caped for mounting. That includes the 50 quart cooler to pack it home on the plane in. It one of those with the wheels and luggage handle on it. Had to leave some meat there with the Beilgards as the weight was over fifty pounds. That was fine with me as they certainly deserved to share in the bounty.

speaking of missing. dang. yesterday, randean called and told me to get home that there was a big buck in the yard. well, i went and saw a huge one with 12 or so does, bedded right down from my front door. i called ken and told him to get out of his blind an meet me on the road. we looked at the buck and drove up my drive, parked, crawled on our knees to the edge of the hill. ken got high enough to range him at 32 yards. the entire herd was bedded with the buck closest and broadside. i told ken to draw, stand up and shoot. he did, but it was one inch low. we saw the buck good and i'd put him at 16", 7" paddles, and a very heavy 83 b&c. dang.

from kens blind (jjl's blind) we'd been watching a very nice buck for 3 days. it just never worked out where he came to water. well, today he took his time and came in. after being within sight of ken for over 2 hours, he moseyed down to the waterhole... and laid down 110 yards away. with 4 does. finally, at 6 pm, he got up with 1 doe and came to water. 42 yards. he jumped the arrow and we got a clean miss. maybe tomarrow....... tony went to yellowstone park today and a very nice buck has been taunting robert all day. he's still out at 7 pm. i'm going to have dinner.

no, i spoke with kathleen for an hour yesterday. she & terry are bushed from the hunt. also, they spent over $4,000.00 of their own money to make that hunt a dream and are pretty well tapped out. folks just don't know how much money it takes to put on a hunt like this. anyway, terry & kathleen plan to recouperate in seward.

I'm telling ya ,, there's something in that WY air out there ...

These are shots that Ken and I can make consistently ...

I hope he gets another crack at a nice buck with better results, because I for one can know frustrating it can be ..

Good Luck Ken ,, and rest up Steve .. :)

quit lying, luke. you're just happy someone is in the barrel with you. :clown:

I'm telling ya ,, there's something in that WY air out there ...

These are shots that Ken and I can make consistently ...

I hope he gets another crack at a nice buck with better results, because I for one can know frustrating it can be ..

Good Luck Ken ,, and rest up Steve .. :)

Ya got that right. I think it's those wide open spaces. Kinda gets to ya. Makes ya feel naked or something..:)