Wyoming Antelope

Brad6639

Well I just checked the Wyoming Fish and Game website and saw that me and my father drew our non resident antelope tags for zone 23. We will be hunting on a 14,000 acre ranch and its basically one of the types of hunt where we do the scouting and all that fun stuff, and if we are successful we pay the landowner 150 bucks for the buck (I guess out there they call it a trespass fee??) Anyways we will be arriving for the rifle season but Im going to try with a bow at first and if that dont work my backup is my ml or my 300 mag. Has anyone hunted this area before? I have already gone ahead and got a renzoe buck antelope decoy, a double bull darkhorse blind, a vortex 20x60 spotting scope with window mount and tripod, and my regular vortex diamondback bincos that are 8x42 and then I still want to get a good backpack. What should I plan on for gear as Im not sure of the climate at that time of year. Our plans are to pull out a trailer and buy a freezer out there when we get there and plug it in and let it frost up, and then if we get one cut it up ourselves (we do 8 or so deer a year) and then Ill cape it out myself as Im starting a taxidermy buissness and need to do my own stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck! I drew a tag for the same unit as well. :cool: When will you be going out? Antelope don't take up much room, you should be able to get two goats boned out and sitting comfortably on ice in a 160 gallon cooler. My dad and I have done this before here in South Dakota during the rifle season.

Dakota :)

Good luck! I drew a tag for the same unit as well. :cool: When will you be going out? Antelope don't take up much room, you should be able to get two goats boned out and sitting comfortably on ice in a 160 gallon cooler. My dad and I have done this before here in South Dakota during the rifle season.

Hey Dakota........................

Could you please post a pic of that 160 gallon cooler.

I'm just curious....................

JJL

JJL

I wonder what the airlines would charge to fly that cooler full of meat back to the east coast ..:jaw: :wacko:

Save your self a lot of trouble. Call to the nearest town that you will be hunting by and find the local butcher shops then take your speed goats in to them and have them cut up and flash froze. Then for the trip home just have it packed in dry ice and boxed. They should have the heavy waxed boxes just for this. That's how I brought my elk home from western WY. It took me 24 hours to get back to WI. and the meat was still froze good and had plenty of dry ice left. That way you can spend more time scouting and hunting rather than fussing with a downd animal.

Airlines won't allow dry-ice. For driving it's fine, however if you fly it had better be just frozen meat. You'll get home quicker flying so just frozen meat usually makes it.

Don't even try and sneak it into a cooler on a plane, if they happen to catch you it's a $25,000 fine and a whole bunch of other crap. Things have sure changed since 9-11-01.

I wonder what the airlines would charge to fly that cooler full of meat back to the east coast ..:jaw: :wacko:

Depends on what it weighs............it's already oversized I'm sure. So there's $125. Now usually it's $4 per pound for every pound over 50. 160 gallon cooler should hold 400-500 lbs of meat. That'll set you back a couple of grand for sure. One more reason to shoot the little guys.................:hammer1:

JJL

lol I think that was a typo...it's actually like 90 or something...idk... It's a long cooler (about 4ft. long) though. :cool: We drive out too, so we're able to just pop it in the back of the vehicle and go.

lol I think that was a typo...it's actually like 90 or something...idk... It's a long cooler (about 4ft. long) though. :cool: We drive out too, so we're able to just pop it in the back of the vehicle and go.

It's probably one of those 150 Qt. (not Gal.) Xlarge Marine coolers :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...