Got a Michigan Bear Tag....Suggestions for anything!

Hey,

Well this is the second tag i have had the first was kind of wasted with only a few days spend hunting and limited ability on my behalf since I was 16. SO, any one know good baits to use, I have a few recipes for turning 100lbs of corn into candy using 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of molasses and some sugar and salt all mixed together in a wheelbarrow. Also I am going to hunt with my bow but I will be taking my new ruger super blackhawk 44 mag.

OK any info you got on

what to look for in a good location

what to do to keep bait fresh (if that matters)

what makes good bait

how to/good ways to start a bait location

where to get bait other than corn

Any tips/tricks you can share

any ways to save money since i'm kind of poor being a college guy

:gunsmilie::gunsmilie:

Edited by MichiganHunter

Sorry I missed your post

I have a kill tag here in Wisconsin starting the Wednesday after Labor Day. We use anything you can get your hands on like bread, granola, candies, ice cream cones, bakery, frostings, grease and on and on. No Meat or Fish!!!!!! It is not legal here. We have to place it so it is not accessible to deer but it can't be in anything man-made. Hollow stumps work the best. Use Liquid Smoke to get the bears to find your baits. It can be smelled from a long ways.

Also for the bow, don't set your stands too high as you don't want a steep downward angle on a bear. Plus their vitals sit a tad further forward than that of a deer. A double lung hit is a must!!!

ok I'll have to pick up some liquid smoke, where have you had luck getting bait stuffs?....just dumpster diving, I got family and friends saving some stuff but don't know how much I will get. What did you think of my corn mix idea? I have several family members who are collecting cooking grease for me, I think here in Michigan you are allowed to use meat and fish but I will have to look at the regs again. Thats a good tip on not going to high, so is 10ft too high?.....I will look up so pics of bear vitals

Thanks for taking the time to help me out PotashRLS, cant wait to share some pics of my bear with you, and to see a few of yours.

Edited by MichiganHunter

I plan on being mostly in 15ft. ladder stands with a 2nd hang-on for a camera man.

Bait can be hard to find unless you talk to some locals who bear hunt or run bear with dogs. They will have bait connections. Your corn thing will work but it may get a bit $$$. Your feedmill probably sells molasses, that will work poured over the bait. Don't put the grease on the bait, pour it around and on the trees. When the bear lay to eat at the bait site, they will lay in the grease and spread the scent everywhere they go, hopefully attracting more bears. Put the liquid smoke in a squirt bottle so you can spray it up in the trees. You can also dilute it so it lasts a little longer. It will still have lots of scent to it after diluting, just don't do it too much.

I have a feed mill by me and I think I can get a 55 gallon of corn for like 20 bucks so I was thinking about 110 gallons of corn and some molasses for each 55 gallon drum, I was able to get a good deal on my drums, $10 each. Oh and here in Michigan we can use meat or fish scraps and other legally harvested game. Thanks for all the tips PotashRLS, I'll send some your way if I get any good ones.....OH I do got one I can share, as far as setting up/starting a bait station, an older guy who has like 6 or 7 bears was telling me that he will go in the first day he is going to start baiting and clear the area he said, to start a small camp fire and use a small pan and cook some cheap bacon in it, than cook up some dog food in the same oil/grease then put out fire and bait the area and poor out all the grease and dog food on and around the camp fire...making sure it dont relight the fire but that is supose to get the smell out there real heavy.