my 2009 pronghorn

wyohunter

I need to get out west for one of these pronghorn hunts!! My owner went last year and took one with his crossbow something happened to the bow and he made a bad shot and went through the bucks eye socket and couldnt get it out.So he left it and got it out later,boiled it and has it in the store withe arrow in its eye!!!

I need to get out west for one of these pronghorn hunts!! My owner went last year and took one with his crossbow something happened to the bow and he made a bad shot and went through the bucks eye socket and couldnt get it out.So he left it and got it out later,boiled it and has it in the store withe arrow in its eye!!!

Congrats again!:D

Whats the story behind that bad boy?

not much of a story to tell... after a very windy opening day, winds up to 50 mph, my buddy and i seen some dandy billies all over this public land area in wyoming, not being able to close the deal, untill later in the afternoon, when he took a big diggered billie that measures around 14 inches, we looked at a few more that evening, then headed home. He had to work the next day, so i headed out alone, thinking in my head, that i would take the first billie available and not hold out for the biggest... which i have done before and paid the " no meat in the freezer" penilty. so off i went on my 4 wheeler, checking in each draw, away from the normal spots... glassing as i went, i noticed this billie on another hillside, so i wheeled closer to get a better look at him.... figured i'd stop at the crest of that hill, then get off my 4 wheeler to have a look, well on my way up, i seen a doe spying me, so off on the gas, i coasted back down the hill enough i was out of site..... cursing myself for riding up so close..... i get off, gather up my rifle, look up to see that doe checking me out... OH GREAT... i think as i watch her... then she comes closer, not sure of what i am, or what im doing... then he follows her in... i get a good look at him, and deside he will do just fine, but she gets nervous and trots off, taking him with her, i croutch down and side hill along side them, they pop over the hill, i raise the rifle up, but he doesnt give me a good shot, back on the trot they go.... i expected them to leave the county by this time, but i side hill the other way and they appear around 150 yards away... he is quartering towards me, i hate that shot, but figured i have pressed my luck so far, i settled in on him and slowly squeesed the trigger, hearing that WHOP..... he stumbled off about 15 yards and fell dead

a little here and a little there, and he would of made it...lol no biggie, im proud of it

As you should be! ;) The one I shot in Wyoming was nowhere near that size and I'm especially proud of it, particularly because I took it with my bow. :cool: Still, it'd be nice to take a buck of that caliber this weekend. :D

Dakota :)

What killed him? :confused: He looks much bigger than that! I would have guessed him at 78-80 B&C. Scoring aside, that's a heck of a buck! :eek: I'm hoping I can find one close to the size of him this weekend around Belle Fourche. :cool:

Dakota :)

The biggest difficulty in estimating scores on pronghorns is getting a feel for what mass measurements they'll net and how much prong they have.

I agree this antelope sure looks like a 78 inch pronghorn but like Wyohunter said it just takes a little here and there to miss it. In this case 1/4" more mass per measurement and 3/4" more prong per side and bingo 78 inches! You might guess the prong length right but accurately identifying a 1/4" more mass per measurement per side is extremely difficult!

Typically more than half the score of a pronghorn is determined by mass and prong length. Yes some "stretch" horn antelope violate this. Even though they have super long horns they aren't guaranteed to score as high as a pronghorn with shorter horns and heavier paddles. Mass and prongs are ten separate scoring measurements. A major portion of the score is contained in these measurements. These measurements are much more difficult to guess than horn length.

With pronghorn it is very possible to be looking at two big bucks and having to choose between them. If one is long horned and one is a little shorter but heavier, I'd shoot the heavier one every time.