Your Realistic Dream Hunt?

Jeramie

Everyone has the far reaching dream that will likely never happen (for me that is Africa).

However, what about that one that can happen? What would it be for you? Im very torn between three things. None show even a hint of happening in the near future but eventually id like to make one or all three happen.

Colorado or Wyoming Elk - I actually had the chance several years ago but didnt have the cash. Now im really kicking myself for not taking that chance. I could have taken the trip to Colorado for a week for $500. Again, I was much younger and $500 was a LOT of money back then.

Northern States, Black bear with a bow. - Of all of the hunting shows some of my very favorites are the bear hunts with a bow. One of these days id love to be over a bait barrel waiting on a Bruin.

Wyoming Antelope - I drew out for Oklahoma Antelope last year. I shot a doe and it was a blast. However, it was cumbersome. It wasnt exactly a well oiled plan. When were went to Yellowstone several years ago I was amazed at the amount of speed goat, especially around and NW of Cheyenne. It was incredible. I saw some HUGE bucks too. Its been on my To Do list every since....

So what are your someday obtainable hunts?

Realistic?

This year(just a few days away) going on a bowhunt to Wisconsin to hunt with Randy, my first hunt more than 2 miles from home. Ummm yeah, well they are not exotics but even after killing a number of whitetails with the gun of course I still regularly dream of big whitetails and have yet to get that first buck with the bow.

Hopefully next on that list of realistic hunts will be taking my two older daughters with me next October for a week to hunt with Steve Beilgard in Wyoming for antelope and mule deer. Put in for pref points, so should not be any issue getting our tags. Nicole our middle daughter will not be able to hunt(she is only 8 now), but she will likely get to tag along. Think I am really more interested in going after a mule deer than anything else, just something about mule deer. Also plans for a hunt with Frank(rookieee) next November for whitetails, really looking forward to that too.

After that the following year hopefully for elk with my oldest daughter, already put in for pref point for her for elk. Will see what happens there.

Something I would like to hunt before I die is caribou, would like to go on a trip just the wife and I after the kids get older. Don't know if we will ever be able to, of course the wife still has a moose and black bear on her mind, don't know if there is anywhere we could ever attempt a combo hunt for all three of those critters.

South Dakota elk: cow tags aren't hard to get for rifle, but I'd like to draw a cow or bull tag for archery.

South Dakota Custer State Park elk: giants are shot every year and it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for bulls.

South Dakota Custer State Park antelope: this year was the first year they offered it.

Wyoming or Montana archery elk

Sasketchewan archery black bear

:cool:

I've been applying for a Utah once in a liftime elk hunt for a few years now... will probably take another 10 or so years to build up enough points to get drawn. Also, I'd like to do an elk and mule deer hunt in Wyoming someday.

I'd also like to finish out my turkey slam... would like to go to the Black Hills for my merriams and maybe Texas for my Rio Grande. After that, I would possibly try for the goulds and ocelated as well.

I've been applying for a Utah once in a liftime elk hunt for a few years now... will probably take another 10 or so years to build up enough points to get drawn. Also, I'd like to do an elk and mule deer hunt in Wyoming someday.

I'd also like to finish out my turkey slam... would like to go to the Black Hills for my merriams and maybe Texas for my Rio Grande. After that, I would possibly try for the goulds and ocelated as well.

Let me know if you can make it out, I've hunted that area before for longbeards. It'd be nice to meet up somewhere. :cool:

Dakota :)

Ah yes, my dream hunt... Well a couple years ago I wrote a story about my dream hunt for a weatherby contest. Many may remember I took second place with that story. I sure wish I would have kept a copy, for some reason I didn't. To make a long story short, my dream hunt was a hunt out west with my dad who is now 73. We actually had a trip of a lifetime lined up with a very special outfitter and my dad backed out. He said 20 years ago it would have excited him more. So I was going to go with one of my best friends and then, well, my divorce started...

Whats my dream hunt now you ask? I'm not real sure. I'd still like to go on the trip we had planned but I'm having fun making someone elses dream hunt come true for now...;):)

Let me know if you can make it out, I've hunted that area before for longbeards. It'd be nice to meet up somewhere. :cool:

Thanks, I definitely will... I'd like to go this next spring if it works in the budget. I need to do a little research soon to see when to apply. I'd also like to hit Wyoming for turkey as well on the same trip.

I have lots of dreams.....

Hunt whitetails in one of the following Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois or Kansas.

Anywhere out West to kill a beautiful white tipped Merriam Gobbler.

Anywhere out west for a Mulie buck.

Anywhere out west for a bull elk.

Anywhere out west for a Antelope buck.

I think that is all.......hope to accomplish some of this before my life ends. My biggest challenge seems to be getting something else that wants to go that is as serious as I am about going.....

I feel like I am living the dream in Montana. So blessed to be able to scrape up a living here and have the opportunity to hunt many different species. But, I have long dreamed of a trophy whitetail hunt in Alberta or Saskatchewan - I think this could happen someday, but perhaps not until the youngins are out of college - we'll see.

For those of you dreaming of a hunt in Montana, please don't hesitate to contact me and I will do the best I can to help out in any way I can.

May all our hunting dreams come true someday :)

I suppose my realistic dream hunts would be elk hunts in Arizona and Utah. I plan to start putting in as soon as I graduate and have my first job. I also want to go to the Yukon for moose.

My real dream hunt would be Africa and hopefully someday I am lucky enough to do that.

My dream hunt has already been completed when Steve B. invited me out to Wyoming to hunt Antelope with him and some true Realtree friends.

Steve B. actually invited me to come out and hunt years earlier when he and his lovely wife Rilda came to Vermont for a visit, I never thought in my wildest dreams that it would ever come true, but you have to know Steve, the man is true to his word in every sense.

Tho I didn't get to tag a goat for a mount, I got to spend time with Steve and his great family, and even got the bonus of meeting and spending time with some new friends here from the Realtree family.

I would love to bear hunt with archery tackle somewhere, soon tho ... :)

Wyohunter-----looks like WY can fill your dream hunt. There are good moose there, I got mine a couple years ago @ Big Piney. Black Bear you can still bait---in WY I think.

I've done most of my dream hunts----Bighorn, Mtn Goat, Elk, Bear, Antelope, Cougar----all here in Colorado. moose in WY. Been to South Africa for plains game. 3/4 of the turkey slam----Rio, Merriams & Eastern

I still would like to see the far north----Caribou hunt or maybe an interior grizzly. Another trip to South Africa but you can go there when you are in your 60's. CB

Thanks, I definitely will... I'd like to go this next spring if it works in the budget. I need to do a little research soon to see when to apply. I'd also like to hit Wyoming for turkey as well on the same trip.

I did just that this past spring. Non-resident turkey tags are similarly priced for both states. I'd recommend hunting in late April, that way you're less likely to encounter snowed-in logging roads on the SD side. I harvested my WY Merriams but had to eat my SD Black Hills tag due to that very dilema. :(

My brothers and I want to take our Dad back out to Wyoming or Montana for a Mule Deer Hunt. My Dad, Uncle and Grandpa used to go out to Wyoming in the late 60's with some buddies of theirs. They hunted near Jeffrey City and always talked about going back but never did. Grandpa is now 90 and Dad is 67. We want to take Dad out there at least once before he is too old to hunt that way.