big game hunting

brudaman340

I was wondering where i could do a cheap hunt for a big game animal with results. I would like to travel and hunt big game animals all around the country. I would prefer it to be an animal that new york state does not offer. Another thing is that i really want a trip that will be successful because that will keep me wanting to travel and hunt. When i say successful i dont mean just a kill i mean that i want to at least see game animals im after. I am willing to do a do it yourself hunt also, but what is an easier animal to spot and stalk, or call, or still hunt for, etc.

lope hunting

Hey buddy: I have the answer for you. Pronghorn antelope in Wyoming. Reasonably priced, tons of critters and if you go with the right outfitter or the right place on your own you will have a blast. We are a Realtree Recommended outfitter so they let us post our address in here.

http://www.antelopeoutfitters.com/

Toll free number is listed on the site if you are interested in talking about it.

good quality

Hey Guys:

One question was how big are we taking. Quite possibly the best overall outfitter for antelope in the state. I would stack our average up against any outfitter in the state. We do not take a ton of hunters so we can regulate the age class of the bucks we take. Last year was a bad year with a series of of three spring snow storms that put a huge stress level on the animals. Compound that with a record breaking summer infestation of grasshoppers and it makes for a tough season. The 08 season did not produce any B&C lopes for us, however we did send all of our archery hunters home with true P&Y trophies. Our rifle bucks this year most likely averaged mid 70s. That being said... last year we did take 6 true B&C lopes. Most years we do take several Booners.

Now about the cost. One guy here stated that was too much money. While $1950 seems like a lot of money, I have done the research on the market. OUr hunts should be selling for $2500 for what we have to offer. One of the most popular RT Prostaffers in the forums can tell you how good the area we hunt is. Ask Steve B. about our quality.

I usually do not say much in the forums about our hunting operation because it seems that no matter what you say... when an outfitter says something in a forum where there is the annonimity of not having to talk face to face and justify one's statements, almost always produces someone who has better, bigger, tougher, meaner, prettier, cheaper or some other superlative.

The fact is this guy asked for help and I believe so strongly in the lope hunting being the best fit for his question. We truly are the best there is at the best hunt to fit his request. Hands down, without controversy, a Wyoming pronghorn hunt is the best fit for a first western big game hunt. The cost is very acceptable comparatively speaking and the excitement is always there because you are always seeing game. I know of no other big game animal that is out and about all day and sleeps nights like humans. That is accessable to the everyday hunter. OK sure the mountain goats and bighorn sheep but how many folks have a tag for that one in their wallet. Like I said accessable.

All of this being said... Antelope Outfitters is a Realtree and Bone Collector recommended outfitter for a reason.

You can come out and take your chances on a DIY hunt and some will do quite well. However think of this; public land DIY hunters average right around 9 inches on their lopes. Statewide average including outfitted and private land hunts is 11 inches. Our average at Antelope Outfitters in a bad year is 13 1/2 and in a good year exceeds 15 inches honestly. OUr 08 season produced 2 lopes over 17 and 5 others over 16.

Outfitted hunts are not for everyone. Some folks can't afford them and some folks won't afford one. Studies at Montana State university have proven the outfitted hunt is best hunting bargain available. The average number of hunters years to kill a 6x6 bull elk is 99 years for a DIY hunter. It's less than 5 for outfitted hunts. The first elk harvest for an outfitted hunt is less than one third the cost of the first DIY elk harvest. I know there are exceptions but this was an 18 year study, Last I was informed any way.

So you can take your chances. One key thing to remember, if you go on an outfitted hunt and have a bad hunt and you did not check references, its your fault. Also there are things in nature that can mess up a hunt. CHECK AS MANY REFERENCES AS YOU CAN, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO OR WHO YOU GO WITH. Antelope Outfitters has been in business around 40 years. In all that time the hunter harvest rate has been 100%. Where else can you have odds like that.

Good luck to you guys.

Bugleward

Edited by bugleward

Im just saying that that kind of money is not the kind of money i have to go hunting out west. You are saying that everyone you had come hunt there has harvested a antelope? Do you have package prices? Also, about how many people come hunt there per year? Are the tags over the counter or are they drawings? I also do not really care if its over 13 inches if its 9 thats fine. I mean its my first big game hunt out of my home state and i just want to have a successful trip. Not so much come home with a trophy because anything will be a trophy to me. I am only 20 years old so i have a long time to travel for trophies if i ever plan to.

a DIY hunts out west are kind of tough if you havent done them before. it is better i think if you hook up with someone thats been there before and knows the ins and outs. going with an outfitter is another choice, but its going to cost you a lot more than a DIY hunt, but the knowledge you gain is awesome.

im going with an outfitter for my first Elk and mule deer hunt in Montana. im hoping to gain a lot of knowledge so i can do a DIY hunt in the coming years.

for me the whole license tag thing out west is so confusing its not funny. you have to draw for some areas, then you need to know what area to apply for the tag, you need to know if theres any land available in that area and last are the animals your after in that area.

having someone thats done it before or lives in the area to provide all the information is best. but going with an outfitter is probably the best choice for a first hunt.

heres the nice antelope i took in Wyoming last year.

100_0844.jpg

Tony

more on western hunting

Hey brudaman:

I fully understand the desire and economics of DIY hunting. I personally cannot afford to go on outfitted hunts and I do like the satisfaction of DIY. However, I do know the industry very well. You said you had to be successful. In that case you should go with an outfitter and pay the extra bucks. If you are willing to pay your dues and learn the craft of western hunting then by all means start with the pronghorn. It is the cheapest and probably the easiest to be successful on. Most of the states they live in are abundant with them and public land to hunt them on for a DIYer. However, bear in mind the tags for the good DIY spots are usually fairly difficult to come by. Our tags where we outfit are 100% and usually there are plenty of left over tags available even into the season. And yes we have been !00% successful for over 40 years.

The only problem i have with paying an outfitter is that i do not want to spend the money and not shoot anything. Then i am losing a lot of money but, the only thing i can say that i would gain is experience. I looked over everything on your web site and everything looks good i did not call any references though. When do you have to be booked by for say the 2010 year?

No doubt the outfitters sponsered by RT are great to work with, but I got burned on my first bear hunt in Canada using an outfitter. Two grand in 2000 and didn't see a bear for 5 days! The outfitter (Black Bear Lodge) promised 90% success rates. Well the group of 18 hunters before my group managed one bear and the group of 18 I was in managed 5 (one shot by a frustrated "hunter" at a city dump). That's 6 bears / 36 hunters = 17% success rate. That's really bad for bear hunting.

After that I do all my hunts myself. I drive my travel trailer to Idaho in the spring and bear hunt now. I went with a buddy in spring 08 (didn't get one) but the experience was so much better! My buddy had an encounter from his tree stand with one at 20 yards but didn't close the deal. Anyway we are going back this spring with a 3rd friend. The trip will cost me about 150.00 for hunting/fishing license and a couple bear tags, 1200.00 for gas (split 3 ways = 400.00). Add food costs (another 200.00) and since I have all the gear from my 08 hunt the whole trip (10 days) will be under $1000.00.

Now if I get one then the taxidermy work will increase the cost depending on what I have done and how many I get.

DIY hunts take a lot more prep work and are way more challenging, but also more rewarding (which is what hunting is all about to me). Having tried in 08 and failed will make it that much better if I do connect this spring.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Might be too far being from new york, but a friend and I did a diy two week elk hunt for under $1000 a piece. 500 for license, 275 for gas, 100 for food, 75 for drinks. Seen hundreds of animals, ten branch bulls, he got a 6x6, I got a 5x5. I will admit the unit success was only 9% for either sex, but there is alot of people that don't want to put in the leather to find the elk.

Might be too far being from new york, but a friend and I did a diy two week elk hunt for under $1000 a piece. 500 for license, 275 for gas, 100 for food, 75 for drinks. Seen hundreds of animals, ten branch bulls, he got a 6x6, I got a 5x5. I will admit the unit success was only 9% for either sex, but there is alot of people that don't want to put in the leather to find the elk.