Can a hunting bow be used for target archery competitions?

Laaksonen

Yes and no.....I always used my hunting bow...thats what I hunt with, thats what Im going to shoot...HOWEVER..if you are going to shoot competively,and be serious about it, I would think you would want a bow that is all set up just for that purpose. You have to decide if you are just shooting for fun to keep your form & fun, OR are you going for $$$ Competition bows are far more accurate than what your hunting bow will be. Then you have to decide if you want to spend the $$ to get into Comp...its not cheap, and there are a ton of events you can go to. And do you have the time get into the target league schedule...

Myself, I did not want to spend the $$ and didnt have the time..so I shot a few 3-d events just for fun with my hunting bow to keep honed up during the summer months.

Edited by Mathews XT Man

Yes, you can and yes I do. I've got four ROSS Cardiacs with two of the set up for hunting at 67# and two fo them for tournaments set at 60# These bows are identical with the exception of the rest and the poundage. I use a WB for hunting and have Golden Key Premiers for tourney's, I use GT X-Cutters for my tournaments and CX Maxima Hunters for hunting. All of my bows are set up within 6 fps of each other so the pin gap stays the same from bow to bow and I don't have to do any readjusting for myself when hunting season comes around. I know that not everyone has the luxury of having extra bows, but I came across great deals on these bows when ROSS and G5 were having their fallout. I hated for years to switch from tournament set up to hunting set up so close to the season, so I swore I'd always have two different bows but set up the same.

I think that you can compete with a QUALITY hunting bow, not an entry level hunting bow. I regularly beat the guys with expensive setups and scopes with my hunting bows with pins every week at the summer leagues. I shoot my G-5 Primal and an old Ross CR337. Shot a 204 last night to come in second. The guy that shot first used a Mathews Monster setup for target work. He shot a 206. I don't even use a stabilizer.

You can use ANY bow for competitive archery. ANY BOW. Set it up for whatever venue you want to shoot and PRACTICE. Thats the only thing that will help you shoot higher scores.

To many people think that a "target" bow is so much more accurate than any other bow, in all actuality they are no diffrent than any other out there. The diffrence between a hunting bow and target bow is the color, and from what I have learned that dont give you any extra points.

You can use ANY bow for competitive archery. ANY BOW. Set it up for whatever venue you want to shoot and PRACTICE. Thats the only thing that will help you shoot higher scores.

To many people think that a "target" bow is so much more accurate than any other bow, in all actuality they are no diffrent than any other out there. The diffrence between a hunting bow and target bow is the color, and from what I have learned that dont give you any extra points.

If you don't get a quality bow, rest, etc. and you shoot it enough to be good it will wear out and fall apart and frustrate you. Quality equipment needs alot less attention.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

i have to agree with Ultratec1 on this one.

for example a 2005 Hoyt Ultratec with XT 2000 limbs and cam and a half in camo is not less accurate than the same bow in target colors and a fancy stabilizer. the bows are equal.

too many people think they have to have a target colored bow and fancy gear to shoot indoor target, 3d and Field archery. nothing could be farther from the truth. i know of one guy who shot Indoor target with his hunting bow and won a National championship.

again practice with your setup, practice good shooting form and proper shot execution and you will go a lot further than a guy with a fancy bow and poor form.

some like to drop the amount of pounds they shoot if they are using there hunting bow. if your hunting with 70 lbs, you might get a little tired if you shoot a 60 shot 5 spot round. if it possible drop the poundage a little and shoot your same form.

this is my Indoor target setup.

2008_Hoyt_ProElite_004.jpg

this is my hunting bow.

IMG_0574.jpg

but if i put my target gear on my hunting bow im sure it would be just as accurate. its just that the target bow is a little more bling factor and looks nice.

so go ahead and just your hunting bow. practice your shooting form and have fun.

Tony

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...