Rifle Elk Hunts

Jorden

So my gramps and I are trying to plan a elk hunt for next fall as my graduation gift. He wants to go rifle hunting since he doesnt really shoot a bow anymore. My question which states, if any, offer rifle hunts during the rut. Ive hunted elk with the rifle once already and it was awesome but I would like to experience the excitement of the rut. And since my gramps wants to rifle hunt, I wanted to find out in which states you can hunt with a rifle during the rut.

Arizona & Utah both have rifle hunts, but you have no chance of drawing in Arizona and practically no chance in Utah unless you both have max points.

New Mexico you will have a slim chance at drawing, but I don't think they actually have any rifle hunts in the rut.

The first rifle in Colorado is usually after the rut.

Not sure about Wyoming.

Idaho I do not know when their hunts are, but they have been an open draw, no points, but are considering going to points of some type, so that may be a state to watch.

Montana, I have not been able to figure out their draw system, so have not even looked at their seasons.

A couple of other options out there that may fit your needs would be to change from rifle to muzzleloader. In most states ML are an easier draw and an earlier season than rifle (i.e. in or closer to the rut).

Another option would be to look into buying a landowner tag. That way you can basically bypass the draw system. But for a rifle tag in rut, plan on using a lot of zeros on the check.

The last option that I can think of right now would be to look into booking with an outfitter. Again, for a rut hunt, you will be paying a premium for it.

I am not sure of Montana's dates and how it coincides with the rut, but I am pretty sure the outfitters have guaranteed tags. Do not think that is the case in AZ or UT.

I would say check Montana as they have tags for the outfitters and NM has a special draw for nonresidents using an outfitter. Those are probably your best choices. Hopefully if someone else has some more info they will chime in.

Has to be elk?

I'd look into something else if breaking the bank is a concern. Going with an outfitter gives you the best chance, just go into it knowing you'll pay 3-4 thousand per hunter and have a higher chance of going home without a trophy bull than with one.

Elk hunting in many areas of Montanna and Idaho is poor these days due to the onslaught of wolves. I was in Missoula MT and Lolo ID a few weeks ago and spoke to many local elk hunters about the elk population and hunting. They told me calf survical is dismal and bugling is all but silent these days. Elk are learning to keep quieter which keeps wolves from finding them. They are also staying on private ground more since private land owners shoot wolves on site.

Backcountry pack in trips might be OK in areas the wolves have not had their way with yet but I'd certainly be asking for references and asking the references about the impact of wolves.

Unless high fence hunting is an option, I'd be looking into pack-in hunts. That way you get a great experience even if the hunting isn't that great.

Good luck!

I am not sure of Montana's dates and how it coincides with the rut, but I am pretty sure the outfitters have guaranteed tags. Do not think that is the case in AZ or UT.

I would say check Montana as they have tags for the outfitters and NM has a special draw for nonresidents using an outfitter. Those are probably your best choices. Hopefully if someone else has some more info they will chime in.

You are correct about outfitter sponsored tags in Montana for now - they are guaranteed. This may change based on on-going legislation. The general rifle season in Montana starting this year opens on the 4th Saturday in October which is the very tail end of the elk rut. You can still hear bulls bugling and rut activity happening, but when the war begins on opening day, that pretty well puts an end to it for good.

There are three hunting districts in western Montana that open to rifle hunting on September 15th every year (Districts 150, 151, and 280). These districts all occur in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area which is considered backcountry and very remote. There are guides who hunt this area and will pack you in. I have never done this hunt, but understand it is tough, with few elk and thick brush. It is however in the heart of the rut!! Some monster bulls in the Bob also. Check with the outfitters and call references. Plenty of grizzly bears in the Bob also....

If you want to come in November after the rut, there are many outfitters to choose from and again, the tags are guaranteed! Good luck and if you decide to choose Montana, let me know and I will answer whatever questions I can for you.

Mark