Bull Moose Pics From Today

Guest BCBOY

Here are some pics of a decent bull that hasn't been found by the LEH boys yet. This is the only bull I saw today. I did see a nice grizz today though. He was a little quick for the camera though. frown.gif

It has been a great moose season thus far. I have seen over 15 mature bulls. Too bad I haven't seen a legal spike/fork for the general season but there is still a few weeks left.

I took these pics through the spotting scope.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Re: Bull Moose Pics From Today

Ryan,

I didn't put the stalk on this bull because I don't have an Any Bull Tag. Only Immature (spike/fork) bulls are open for General Season. Any Bull Tags are applied for through Limited Entry Draws. I was unsuccessfull in the draw this year. I have had some good luck over the years getting a Bull Tag. 4 tags in the last 8 years. So I would imagine next year is my turn again. smile.gif

Co Bob,

I saw a decent bull chasing a cow last Sunday. But I saw 3 cows today and no bull was around them. I would think that the majority of the rut is over now.

Getting a moose out of the bush is a lot of work. It normally involves lots of help and the animal being quartered or even cut up even further. Quads are a big asset as are lots of winch cable and a chainsaw. It is totally doable to do a solo pack out by deboning on the spot and making a lot of trips. But the best place to kill a moose is close to the road. grin.gifgrin.gif

They have a general season for immature bulls in order to give those who didn't get drawn a chance to still hunt moose. Spike/fork bulls are quite rare. Over the last dozen years that the season has been on, I have only harvested 1, and that was last year. It is truly a chance encounter but still a lot of fun. And if you do find one, they are really great eating and you get a whack of meat to go with it as well. Putting the majority of bulls on LEH has really helped out our herds. We can control the numbers of bulls harvested and still allow large mature bulls like the one in the pics above to be able to do most of the breeding. Our bull to cow ratios have increased dramatically and so have our twin calf ratios.

Cool pic! What are you using to get the picture from so far away? Do you just hold the camera up to a spotting scope? I have tried this a few times ........but it is tough to get it right.

I hear moose meat is the best of all deer. Some day I'd like to hunt them and find out grin.gif