tedicast Posted October 24, 2004 Report Share Posted October 24, 2004 There are 2 areas near my home, where it is very common to see black squirrels. As for hunting them, I don't see why you couldn't, as they are just a color variation of a grey squirrel. Where I normally see them are in residential areas though. I have never seen one while hunting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ZooBear Posted October 24, 2004 Report Share Posted October 24, 2004 Re: black squirrels We have a few black squirrel here, but they are Fox squirrels not greys. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fisherguy Posted October 24, 2004 Report Share Posted October 24, 2004 Re: black squirrels MOst of the squirrels in southern ontario are black, but nobody seems to hunt them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LifeNRA Posted October 24, 2004 Report Share Posted October 24, 2004 Re: black squirrels I have seen black and red squirrels. Although, the game commission says there are flying squirrels I have not seen any of them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tedicast Posted October 24, 2004 Author Report Share Posted October 24, 2004 Re: black squirrels Why did this post get moved to varmint and predator hunting room? Wouldn't the upland and small game room be where it belongs? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NY911Bowhunter Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels I used to work in Yonkers, which is a large urban city that borders the Bronx (you know, DA BRONX!). I was working one of my first tours with a guy who lived there all his life, and I saw a bunch of BLACK squirrels!!!! Never saw a gray squirrel - all black ones. You don't even wanna know what they called them!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
huntinsonovagun Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels I have seen one from a stand I hunted 2 years ago. I saw him several times I went there. Certain areas have lots of them. They are just have a dominant melanistic gene I guess. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DSGB Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels We have fox squirrels that are black. Some all black, some grey with a black head, but most are black with a tiny white spot on their nose. Cool animals for sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jeramie Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels Yep, we have them. I have one I want to get mounted. Its actually a fox squirrel with a black underside. Its pretty cool. Everywhere he is suppose to have orange (red) is actually black. I also hunt in another area and I saw a black squirrel all the time (solid black). I finally went back to get him but never saw him again. Im afraid he cashed in him chips. To bad, he would have made an awesome mount! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turkeygirl Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels I see black squirrels once in awhile on campus and alot in cities. I rarely see them in the actual wilderness of the woods but I can say I did shoot a wild black squirrel which was cool. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted October 25, 2004 Report Share Posted October 25, 2004 Re: black squirrels you're seeing the melanistic phase of the gray squirrel. around here you can shoot them. never have seen them in the woods. i have at parks and in the neighborhoods. we have a local town here that has a population of them and albinos. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
carbonhunter Posted October 26, 2004 Report Share Posted October 26, 2004 Re: black squirrels Where is muggs when i need him. I went to kent state university home of the all black squirrel. i kid you not there where hundreds of them and they where def. black 365 a year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shaun_300 Posted November 13, 2004 Report Share Posted November 13, 2004 Re: black squirrels black and red squirrels are all over the place here! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted March 5, 2005 Report Share Posted March 5, 2005 Re: black squirrels Yep, just another color phase of the gray squirrel is all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
too_pointer Posted March 5, 2005 Report Share Posted March 5, 2005 Re: black squirrels Probably half of them around here are black. I guess it depends on the area. too_ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
spyderpancake Posted March 6, 2005 Report Share Posted March 6, 2005 Re: black squirrels We have two different kinds around here-the standard gray, and then fox squirrels, which are black, white, or red. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
otdrzmn04 Posted March 6, 2005 Report Share Posted March 6, 2005 Re: black squirrels in olney il. they have alot of solid white squirrels, pretty cool to see Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted March 6, 2005 Report Share Posted March 6, 2005 Re: black squirrels [ QUOTE ] in olney il. they have alot of solid white squirrels, pretty cool to see [/ QUOTE ] Yeah, I saw an article on those squirrels once. There's a local town around me that used to have a fair population of albino squirrels. Don't know if they were fox or grays though, I haven't seen one in a while. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Bonemass Posted March 7, 2005 Report Share Posted March 7, 2005 Re: black squirrels I see Black squirrels near the Quad Cities IA. Here closer to home we had some squirrels with white patches or tails,but they eventually turned red. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dodge4x4 Posted March 8, 2005 Report Share Posted March 8, 2005 Re: black squirrels never seen a black one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
carbonhunter Posted March 8, 2005 Report Share Posted March 8, 2005 Re: black squirrels Kent State University has tons of black squirrels, Eric will back that one up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
longislandhunter Posted March 11, 2005 Report Share Posted March 11, 2005 Re: black squirrels We have one area in my neighborhood that has quite a few black bushytails running around. As the others have said, they are just a color variation. You can legally hunt them just like any other grey squirrel in New York, but I've never run across one while hunting. If I ever do I'd probably get it mounted for my den, would like neat. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wisconsinboy Posted March 11, 2005 Report Share Posted March 11, 2005 Re: black squirrels where i hunt there are gray, black and fox squirrels. when i was little i remember white squirrels in my grandmas back yard Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
muggs Posted March 11, 2005 Report Share Posted March 11, 2005 Re: black squirrels [ QUOTE ] Kent State University has tons of black squirrels, Eric will back that one up. [/ QUOTE ] Sorry Aaron, I don't stop in this room to often. Yes, you're right, in Kent it's rare to see a squirrels that isn't black. They are black all year long and they carry a dominant gene, if a black squirrel mates with a grey, the offspring will be black. In the 1960's a University grounds keeper, who happened to be an avid hunter, took a trip to Canada. While he was there he saw his first black squirrel and became fasinated, so he trapped 6 and brought them back to Kent State and released them. In the 4 1/2 decades since, those six squirrels converted nearly the entire population of Kent squirrels. They have since spread, and I even see them in Chardon, about 30 miles north of the University. And that is the story of the famous Kent black squirrels... in case you were interested, if not, to bad, you already read it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest outdoorgirl Posted March 11, 2005 Report Share Posted March 11, 2005 Re: black squirrels no black squirrels here just grey and red....i did see one black one in Va on vacation one time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.