JimT Posted July 9, 2005 Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Last year I picked up a Model Seven in .243 Win pretty much for me to use from time to time, but mostly to have to pass down to my daughter. I am wondering if I should have got her a little bigger gun, something she can grow into. Something like a .308 or .270. With the low recoil loads that are coming out I am pondering selling the .243 and getting another Savage, probably a Weather Warrior 116. This gun with a good scope should suit her very well for many years. She will only be seven in a few months, but she will be hunting with me in a short four years. Suggestions? Keep the .243 or sell it? I do not need it, as my 25-06 handles my long range situations well. What do you think? I am thinking reduced recoil loads now, full power loads later....? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tedicast Posted July 9, 2005 Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. Jim...How about a 7mm-08? A little easier recoiling than a .270, or a .308. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest ronin Posted July 9, 2005 Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. Heck, I like the .243 for myself and I'm 220 lbs. I prefer the wssm cartridge personally. I like it because I can shoot varmits all year long with it and I bump it up a little with Barnes Triple Shocks for bigger game such as our local deer. I'll try that for the first time this year. My friend just had this same dilema that he thought about for several weeks. He ended up going with the traditional .243 and he ordered the Savage from me. I have the weather warrior in 300 RUM. I really like this rifle especially the price! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnf Posted July 9, 2005 Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. I'm 36 and my 243 is my favorite deer rifle. I'd say save your money and stick with what you have, or maybe step up when she's ready. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AJ Posted July 9, 2005 Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. I sence some magnumitis setting in. I don't see a problem. The .243 Win will kill any deer that walks on this earth. I have a Rem Model 7 chambered in .243 Win and it works just fine for deer. There is nothing that a .308 Win will do to a deer the .243 won't. I suggest you carry the .243 for a year and see how it really performs on deer. She will also enjoy shooting the .243 Win a lot more than the .308 Win as it has less recoil. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JimT Posted July 9, 2005 Author Report Share Posted July 9, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. Thanks guys..I should have stated also that I plan on bringing her and my son black bear hunting some day. If they ever get drawn for moose pernits they will need a higher power rifle for that also. This was the thinking behind this. Start off with the low power/recoil loads, let them grow into full power loads, and have a jack of all {Maine} trades rifle. Not "just deer" guns. My .270 Win will be going to my son. He will be all set. A.J.- You know how I feel about the big mangleums..lol...They are not needed 95% of the time in this country. Nope. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
too_pointer Posted July 11, 2005 Report Share Posted July 11, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. [ QUOTE ] I sence some magnumitis setting in [/ QUOTE ] Only you buddy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted July 12, 2005 Report Share Posted July 12, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. The savage .243 my wife shoots with core lokts sure is effective on deer. Thats what my 9 year old will hunt with on the youth hunt this year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest J_Owens_66 Posted July 14, 2005 Report Share Posted July 14, 2005 Re: Internal Dilema.. Killed a 175Lb 9 point w/ a drop tine last deer season at 384 yards by Bushnell Range Finder. Had my Ruger shooting hand loads right around 3000 Fps, 95 Grain Nostler Ballistic Tips. Yes, the .243 has lost alot of energy at almost 400 yards, but if you can put the bullet in the right spot..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.