Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????


VTbowman

Recommended Posts

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

Most of the advertising is ignored...I just keep saying: "Just get back to the hunt"!!!

What bothers me the most out of all of it is not the stuff they push, I can take it or leave it, its the shot selction I have seen lately.

If I have seen 5 broadside shots lately I'm a millionaire smirk.gif

It seems that everything has been killed lately by a quartering towards shot....and its picked up sometime the next day...luckily(wonder why) smirk.gif

I wonder how many deer or elk have never been found by taking shots like that?

Its apparent how on some of the photo's of when they find the game, you never get to see the whole animal, that would be because the coyotes have eaten the back half off!

I just say to myself this simple statement when the commercials come on:

"What do I really need to kill a deer with"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

In the past year or so, I've grown to hate them all.

Primos is about the only one I can stomach anymore.

Dury's has to be about the worst as far as product placement. I can't stand any of their shows.

Road Trips was a good concept, but I think it has gone too far away from hunting and there is too much product endorsement there too.

Realtree has all the potential in the world, but the boys still can't resist those fake set up and cut away shots. I can't stand that stuff. Loose all the fake cut aways (like the Primos concept ) and RT would probably make the best videos out there. They have the names, the best access to hunting locations, the largest budgets (a guess, but I bet it is correct), etc. That should make for the best videos. LOOSE THE FAKE CUT AWAYS RT ... PLEASE!

North American Whitetail would be awesome if someone would stuff a sock in Stan's mouth.

Jackie Bushman simply needs to crawl back under a rock.

I could go on and on about all the horrid ones on the Men's Channel. Wow are they bad.

Anymore, I watch a little bit of them and simply change the channel because they are so bad. I have to be real desperate for entertainment to sit through an entire show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

I enjoy watching the hunts and seeing the big deer, but i hate listening to them talk about products for more than half the show. I do enjoy Realtree Roadtrips though because they show more of the hunting camp situations and show more than just products.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

I enjoy some of them and there are some I won't watch. As far as advertising goes, the more a show pushes a product during the hunting part of the show, the less likely I'll watch it. Remote controls were made for commercials. smirk.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and I agree with Doc too. I cant remember the last time I watched one that taught me anything new or has shown me anything different then what I have seen 100000x already...

But in all seriousnes how much more could there be anyways... LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here are a few of the things that I would like to see during the hunting show time slots.

Tracking- I know there are experts on tracking (not bloodtrailing). I'm not talking about nice steaming hot tracks in the mud that anyone can follow, but some of the tell-tale signs in leaves and other terrain that could be of great benefit to scouting and hunting trips. I would like to see a program devoted to identifying some of the more subtle signs and analysis of tracks left by animals. Also, some tips on what the various types of sign mean and the methods of aging the sign that we do see.

In fact, any programs that feature woodlore, would fit very well with the Saturday morning hunting shows.

I would also like to see something on how to set up a comfortable hunting camp in the wild. Tips on what to take that gives you the most benefit per pound etc. The variations on this theme could include everything from backpacking to cabin camps to horseback hunts to RV hunting camps.

How about a program dedicated completely to blood-trailing. We don't always get that perfect shot that drops the animal in its tracks. Also, bloodtrailing is not just an eye test to see if you can follow the crimson trail. Wounded animals do some pretty tricky and strange things. There are certain things that tell you the condition of the animal. There are tricks used if the trail is finally lost. We all know a lot of this stuff, but few of us know ALL of this stuff. Plus an occasional review is never a waste of time.

How many weeks worth of serialized programs could be used on the art of scouting? Here again we know a lot about scouting, but none of us know ALL about scouting. I'll bet there are a lot of methods of scouting and analysis of sign that most of us self-declared experts have never even thought of before.

Programs on scouting would naturally lead into stand selection. For ground-standers, there is also the art of stand construction that is never discussed on any hunting programs, and yet there are many hunters who rely on ground stands. Features that ground stands should have, ways to make them look natural, and other considerations are things that would be useful.

How about some tips on game treatment after the kill. Yes, that is a delicate subject for those with weak stomachs, but it is another topic that is never discussed on these shows.

Couldn't we all use some advice on how to gain access to private land. There are some ways to make good first impressions, or approaches that work best for gaining permission. This is a subject that is becoming more and more important every year.

How about some shows that detail planning out-of-state hunts. There's a lot of material there that you never see on TV.

Another wildly popular topic that is completely ignored by the TV hunting programs is the state methods of deer management. Did you ever wonder where some of the numbers come from that are published by some of the state game management agencies? Why are these such a mystery? The states publish game population numbers ...... Where do these come from? Some of us know, but I'll bet most don't. There is so much information that could be passed on, and so much interest in it, that I can't imagine that the subject has not been even scratched yet.

Well, the list goes on and on. It really isn't too hard to come up with hunting show ideas that the average hunter would be interested in. It certainly shows that there is absolutely no reason for these shows to be getting redundant and even boring. I'll bet every one of you could come up with hunting show themes that would be completely new. It really doesn't take a great imagination or a great deal of creativity, but it seems that none of the current hunting show producers have a clue how to break out of that same old tired format.

Doc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

In the past year or so, I've grown to hate them all.

Primos is about the only one I can stomach anymore.

Dury's has to be about the worst as far as product placement. I can't stand any of their shows.

Road Trips was a good concept, but I think it has gone too far away from hunting and there is too much product endorsement there too.

Realtree has all the potential in the world, but the boys still can't resist those fake set up and cut away shots. I can't stand that stuff. Loose all the fake cut aways (like the Primos concept ) and RT would probably make the best videos out there. They have the names, the best access to hunting locations, the largest budgets (a guess, but I bet it is correct), etc. That should make for the best videos. LOOSE THE FAKE CUT AWAYS RT ... PLEASE!

North American Whitetail would be awesome if someone would stuff a sock in Stan's mouth.

Jackie Bushman simply needs to crawl back under a rock.

I could go on and on about all the horrid ones on the Men's Channel. Wow are they bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Derek.

[ QUOTE ]

Tracking- I know there are experts on tracking (not bloodtrailing). I'm not talking about nice steaming hot tracks in the mud that anyone can follow, but some of the tell-tale signs in leaves and other terrain that could be of great benefit to scouting and hunting trips. I would like to see a program devoted to identifying some of the more subtle signs and analysis of tracks left by animals. Also, some tips on what the various types of sign mean and the methods of aging the sign that we do see.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know why you never see this Doc? Personally I think it's because you and I know just as much if not more than the "stars." I know this might be taboo to say this on this site, but come on, these guys behind and in front of the cameras aren't much different than you or I. I don't think they hold the Holy Grail when it comes to hunting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

I think most of you know where I stand on this issue. The shows and their commercial driven format have long been a pet peeve of mine. Sure, "someone has to pay for the show," but why is the content of most limited to the kill and hold up the horns. There is so MUCH MORE to hunting that fails to be addressed.

Doc brings up a lot of the things that I long to see as well. I don't see a change in the format as long as the producers of these shows are driven by the dollars rather than the the reason they are in the business in the first place.

THE HUNTING

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Tracking- I know there are experts on tracking (not bloodtrailing). I'm not talking about nice steaming hot tracks in the mud that anyone can follow, but some of the tell-tale signs in leaves and other terrain that could be of great benefit to scouting and hunting trips. I would like to see a program devoted to identifying some of the more subtle signs and analysis of tracks left by animals. Also, some tips on what the various types of sign mean and the methods of aging the sign that we do see.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know why you never see this Doc? Personally I think it's because you and I know just as much if not more than the "stars." I know this might be taboo to say this on this site, but come on, these guys behind and in front of the cameras aren't much different than you or I. I don't think they hold the Holy Grail when it comes to hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't argue with that Chris. The main difference between us and them is they spend all their time hunting where really big bucks live. Also, many have (at least part of the time) guides, outfitters, or locals keeping tabs on the deer they are going to hunt too. I'm not knocking them for that but the simple fact is most of us just can't do that. We have to do it on our own. I don't mind that either because what we bag probably means more to us because of what we put into getting it done. Most of the serious hunters I know are at least as good as the stars when it comes to woodsmanship skills.

However, I've also seen some hunters first hand that thought they knew what they were doing but really needed help and guidance. That's both around home and on out of state do-it-yourself hunts. I've even had to orient some around some properties from maps I had while hunting out of state. I just don't understand why some people won't learn how to interpret a topo map and an aerial photo. It's just not that hard. There's some people here at home that I honestly believe they couldn't track a dripping orange paint bucket back to the bucket. I've just had to track too many of their deer and their childrens deer that weren't that hard to track. crazy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

If you don't like watching the TV shows because of the commercials then just by the Monster Bucks, Primetime, The Truth, or any other video series. The shows are just watered down hunts from the videos. I use to watch hunting shows religiously, now I can only stand to watch them if I remembered to DVR them so I can fast forward through the BS. The worst are the shows that spend 2/3 of the time pimping products and or have the fake/set up camera shots. I like when they show the deer staring directly at the camera then they cut to the hunter drawing his bow then the cut back to deer and the deer hasn't moved an inch then they show a front on shot and there is no camera on the side of the hunter. How did they get the shot of the hunter coming to full draw? To listen to the Drury's you would think you can't hunt whitetails without scent blocker clothing and gear and a biologic food plot. That show is so over produced. I love the commercials where the Drury's say that they are video producers and without biologic they wouldn't be able to get the footage they do. You are not video producers your spoiled rich kids doing a glorified school project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

I watch it for the tips and technique that they use to get this trophy game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tips and techniques? That's my complaint .... they never show you anything that you have not already seen 500 times.

Doc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

You know why you never see this Doc? Personally I think it's because you and I know just as much if not more than the "stars."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably true. I guess we would have to come up with a whole new line-up of "stars". grin.gif Opportunities are there for people who really know their craft. If the current set of professional hunters were really interested in making a real good series of programs, I suppose they would have to go out and obtain some subject matter experts and use them as guests on their shows. Actually, all too rarely, I have seen a few half-hearted attempts on TV of some outdoor shows experimenting with this idea.

Doc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

Well this post generated more then I thought. LOL

I think Doc and I are on the same wave length.

Definately the phrase. Seen it. Done it. been there. etc. Apllies for most, if not all, hunting shows.

I too would like to see more of the "work" part of hunting, not the 3 seconds of adrenalin , and semi ok hit, and then someone holding horns 10 hours later...

More tracking, field dressing techniques, processing tips, trophy/cape steps to do after the recovery, unguided set ups in states or areas you have never been to before, etc....

This is where a 1 hour formet would shine.

You could include ALL aspects of a complete hunt, from scouting to tree stand placement to the actual kill, then go into tracking, field dressing, and transporting to the taxidermist for those that would be mounted.

A total hunting show not just the kill and photo ops...

JMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I watch it for the tips and technique that they use to get this trophy game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tips and techniques? That's my complaint .... they never show you anything that you have not already seen 500 times.

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about us guys who have not been hunting all of our life. I may not agree with everything I see and hear, but I do learn some stuff from them....things that my dad never had the opportunity to teach me. And another reason that I enjoy the shows is because it gives me a break from the rest of the "garbage" reality shows on primetime T.V. It seems like now a days, you have one of three choices...........you can watch the kissy, kissy stuff on NBC or ABC or CBS or you can watch hunting shows or no T.V. at all. I think I will just what through the mess and watch a little hunting! grin.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

Well this post generated more then I thought. LOL

I think Doc and I are on the same wave length.

Definately the phrase. Seen it. Done it. been there. etc. Apllies for most, if not all, hunting shows.

I too would like to see more of the "work" part of hunting, not the 3 seconds of adrenalin , and semi ok hit, and then someone holding horns 10 hours later...

More tracking, field dressing techniques, processing tips, trophy/cape steps to do after the recovery, unguided set ups in states or areas you have never been to before, etc....

This is where a 1 hour formet would shine.

You could include ALL aspects of a complete hunt, from scouting to tree stand placement to the actual kill, then go into tracking, field dressing, and transporting to the taxidermist for those that would be mounted.

A total hunting show not just the kill and photo ops...

JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. RT has come close to achieving this lately, but could use more IMHO.

Makes you wonder. I've seen this type of thread at least 4 or 5 times over the past 3 years, and it seems the "professionals" aren't listening. There have been plenty of guys in this forum that say the same thing all the time. Show us more of the pre and post hunt, and we don't get it. confused.gif

Like I said, RT has done better with this than anyone. I remember Scott coming in here last year or the year before and asked the forum "what would you like to see in the videos" and I'm sure he relayed that to the RT boys because we now see some more pre and post hunt. The one scene I really liked in the one MB video (I think it was 13), was Bill, Michael and David hemming and hawing over what stand they were going to hunt in the evening out in Montana. I thought that was a great scene because that's exactly what I do with my buddies. Talk over strategy and bounce ideas off each other.

We need more of that though IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

I watched Deer and Deer Hunting Television yesterday and came away somewhat pleased with their format. I didn't catch the whole show, but they showed different stand locations and WHY they picked them. In a scenario that most of us would find ourselves in the staffer was right up in the tree and show and telling the where and why. He also made a point about attaching that safety belt and showed it in each scene.

There was not one advertisement on a strap or a stand that begged to be bought. This is what I as a deer hunter want to see. There is never too much to learn. The guy shot a decent buck as well and was very genuine in his emotion when he recovered it.

This is what I am talking about when I say that RT and the other top video producers fail in educating the hunting public

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Do you really enjoy those huntin shows????

[ QUOTE ]

I enjoy watching Double Bull Outdoors on the Men's channel. It comes on every wednesday at 12.30 P.M. I can sit and watch Double Bull and eat lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Men's channel you guys are talking about that Spike TV? or is it actually called the mens channel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.