Jeramie Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Man still critical after four snake bites July 15, 2005 OKLAHOMA CITY --A man remained hospitalized in critical condition after being bit four times by two different snakes. James Cave, 47, was at a garage Sunday about 100 feet away from his home when he felt a sharp pain in his foot, his wife, Gloria Cave, said. When he reached down to grab his foot, a pygmy rattlesnake bit his hand and his other foot, she said, and he stumbled backward and fell over a barrel, landing on a copperhead snake. That snake bit him on the right foot, then in the groin, Gloria Cave said. Within minutes, his mouth was swollen and he was vomiting, she said and their son, Andy, and a neighbor drove him to Shawnee Unity Health Center where he was treated with antivenin and rushed by helicopter to St. Anthony Hospital. Neil Garrison, naturalist at Martin Park Nature Center in Oklahoma City, said it's unusual for someone to encounter two venomous snakes at one time. He said the pygmy rattlesnakes, timber rattlers and copperheads exist in patchy parts of central Oklahoma's ecosystem but generally aren't a threat to humans. Garrison said snakes aren't looking for a fight and don't strike unless they're provoked, stepped on or humans simply get too close to them. "Don't put your hands and feet where you can't see," Garrison said. "If you venture out in the yard at night, take a flashlight." Unity Health Center spokeswoman Linda Brown said the hospital has seen a rash of snake bites in recent weeks, and they've kept an ample supply of antivenin stocked to meet the demand. She said if venom enters the bloodstream it can cause neurological problems, so patients with serious bites are sent to larger hospitals in Oklahoma City. For the past few days another Cave son, Aaron, has been burning brush and clearing out areas around his parents' home where snakes could be concealed. A neighbor has been doing the same on his property, Gloria Cave said. She said her husband and the snakes have lived peacefully together on the property for 20 years and before the snakebites he had refused to kill snakes around their home. Now, he feels the situation has changed to kill-or-be-killed, she said. ------ Information from: The Oklahoman, http://www.newsok.com Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HuntingInMaine Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) That poor man! I hope he recovers quickly without any side effects. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MUDRUNNER Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Holy smokes,I thought I had bad luck! That sounds like a lot of venom,hope he makes a full recovery.It's a good thing he wasn't home alone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gator Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) My wife told me about that this morning. Poor dude, I couldn't imagine what that would feel like. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Palssonater Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Talk about a bad day to get out of bed! Man poor guy... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Muff Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Like I always say "the only good snake is a dead snake" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AaronS Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) [ QUOTE ] That snake bit him on the right foot, then in the GROIN [/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Poor dude, I couldn't imagine what that would feel like. [/ QUOTE ] Nor would I want to! Zoiks!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RyanH Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Thats not good at all! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dogdoc Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) now that is what you call bad luck! I was brush hogging last week and saw a snake slither out of a brush pile. If I see a snake I'm catching it. Sure enough I caught the thing at it was a young copperhead. Checked out the fangs for a few minutes the humanely disposed of him. Most snakes are good snakes and great for the ecosystem but poisoness snakes get a quick decapitation from me. todd Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rut-Nut Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) WOW- I thought I had a bad day last week when I found a hornets nest the hard way(4 or 5 stings on the left ear)....................................guess it could have been worse!!!!!!!! I'll take 4 bee stings over 4 snake bites ANY day!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DSGB Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) If it weren't for bad luck, I'm afraid he'd have none at all. I hope he recovers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest INHunterman Posted July 19, 2005 Report Share Posted July 19, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) And I thought I had bad luck, I hope he pulls through. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
spyderpancake Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) look on the bright side, at least he didn't get a water maccasin after him too! sounds like something that would happen to me lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
preacherman Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) sorry to hear about that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
archerjg Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) I hope that he recovers quickly. That is one bad day indeed. Archerjg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) That was a bad day. Copperheads are pretty mean, have not seen quite as many of them around here this year as we usually do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christsavedme Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Man that isn't a bad day...that one of those days you pray you never relive. God bless him....poor ole fellow! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Squirrelhunter91 Posted July 20, 2005 Report Share Posted July 20, 2005 Re: Now thats a bad day! (Snake Bites) Things happen... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.