horst Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Well, me, the wife and my 2 older kids took off last Thursday for the Black Hills, the baby had to stay home with his Grandma which turned out to be a good deal since everything was either uphill, or downhill and I woulda had to carry him Had a blast out there, its very pretty country and the wildlife,parks, and things were unbelievable.Stayed at Wall Drug thursday night and Friday morning we went throuh part of the badlands.It was unlike anything ive ever seen before. Friday afternoon we went on into the black Hills and got a hotel room in Rapid City.Sadly with Sturgis starting the 8th things were filling up, they were jacking prices on the rooms, and we didnt have much choice but to stay in the Holiday inn there. Somehow my 4 yr old daughter got interested in the caves out there.I thought sh would be scared to death of them but she was facinated and I would up going through 2 of them with her, the Crystal Caves and Mt Rushmore caves.She also drug mre to the presidents slide at the bottom of Mt Rushmore.You ride a chairlift up and ride a sled down whats basically a bob sled ramp 2000 ft back to the bottom.Scared the crap outta me but she wanted to go again Apparently shes not scared of anything During the next 3 1/2 days we went through Custer park, Mt rushmore, another park{cant think of the name right now, my minds still kinda fuzzy this morning} right below custer, went to the Mammoth dig in hot springs, and a lotta other places.Yesterday morning we got up and went to Deadwood before heading home and I really wish I woulda had more time to spend there, its a really cool little town full of nice people.We also took a couple hours in Mitchell to goto an archiological dig they had going on there in an old indian village, it was very cool. Only down side to the whole trip was my brakes took a crap on me driving through the steep hills and stuff out there.Turns out the rotors were warped and the hills were to much for them to handle in that shape, things started locking up and popping and I didnt know if we were gonna make it back to Rapid City That year Explorer apparently had the hubs built right into the rotors and it wound up costing me 500$ to get them fixed.On the bright side we rented a car for that day and it only cost me 30$.It had the stickers still in the windows for Mt Rushmore and another place and pretty much paid for itself in the money we saved on fees getting in Like I said Sturgis was getting ready to start and the bikers were really pouring in, I seen some awesome bikes and met a lotta interesting people out there.But back to the hotel room situation, heres what happened while we were checking out.There was another couple waiting for a room when we turned the keys in.Ours was the only one available.I thought we were getting screwed paying 120$ a night for it.Apparently as soon as we checked out the rtes for that room doubled, they charged the people waiting at the desk 250$ a night for the same room Hows that for highway robbery. Anyway I got a million picturs being developefd and shot almost 2 hours of videotape, mostly of the wildlife running around.It was very expensive but Id love to do it again and would recomend it to anyone whos never been there.Ill try to post some pics tonight if my film gets developed.Unfourtanately after the 9 hoyur drive home last night with 2 tired kids I feel worse now then I did before I left Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AaronS Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Glad to read that you had a good time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
need2hunt Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Sounds like a great time!! I've been pheasant hunting out there and stayed in Chamberlain, that's the little town on right just before you hit the Missourri River. Went out to Sturgis in 2001 I was working a booth for the company I worked for then. We actaully stayed in a hotel IN sturgis, don't remember the name of it but I remember that you couldn't find it listed on the internet. Our ad agency was in charge of setting up the lodging for us, we were planning on getting in at midnight or later so I made the agency guy call a couple days before so they would KNOW we would be there. Good thing we did because the guy double booked the entire hotel and we would have been out of luck otherwise. I don't remember but I'm betting we paid more than $250 a night. Anyway I'm rambling... glad you had a good time!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
waterfowler_gal Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Sounds like a well deserved trip... Did you go to Wind Cave or Jewel Cave? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RyanH Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Sure sounds like you have a blast! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
huntn4bucks Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Sounds like you had a great time. Welcome back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
too_pointer Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD I'm glad you had a great trip, I knew you would. Living out there for a few years was wonderful !! Mike Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JoshM Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Glad you had a good trip.....I was kinda enjoying the quiet here on the forums Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted August 2, 2005 Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Sounds like a great trip Chris. My wife and I were talking about doing a trip like that next year. I think my kids are old enough to appreciate something like that, and I've never been to the Dakotas or Montana. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
horst Posted August 2, 2005 Author Report Share Posted August 2, 2005 Re: Im back from SD [ QUOTE ] Did you go to Wind Cave or Jewel Cave? [/ QUOTE ] We went to Jewel Cave.It was the first one we went to and turned out to be the most strenous one to get into.For those not familiar with it I believe it goes down something like 1/4 mile into the ground, its 180 steps to the bottom and the stairs are almost vertical, kinda like the steps up a bunkbed.The cave never gets above 45 degrees so everythings very wet and cold.I loved it but my wifes got a bad knee and she also had an asthma attack coming out, and my son was kinda freaked out by it so they didnt go into anymore of them with us.I wanted to hit wind cave but we ran outta time and $$ after we had to get the breaks fixed, guesse thatll give me a reason to go back though, not that i really needed one [ QUOTE ] Sounds like a great trip Chris. My wife and I were talking about doing a trip like that next year. I think my kids are old enough to appreciate something like that, and I've never been to the Dakotas or Montana. [/ QUOTE ] Id highly recomend it if you never been there, it was a blast and youll have as much fun as the kids, maybe more LOL. I found out some of the tours like the one in Deadwood are actually a good deal if you have the kids along.Theyll really learn a lot about the history of the area from the tour guides and it keeps em interested the whole time.Were already talking about going again, next time were gonna wait till later in the year though, it would be cooler outside and they said you could go into the parks and hear the elk bugling.It was hot enough while we were there the animals werent as activce as they will be in the fall. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TreeStandBowHunter Posted August 3, 2005 Report Share Posted August 3, 2005 Re: Im back from SD Welcome back Horst. Glad to see that you had fun and enjoyed yourself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
preacherman Posted August 3, 2005 Report Share Posted August 3, 2005 Re: Im back from SD sounds like you had a great time! welcome back! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.