Nice Buck..


ILSNIPER1

Recommended Posts

But, again.. in less that perfect conditions. All of the nice bucks are coming out late in the evening & it's hard to get any good shots of them. Anyway, I saw this one tonight w/a second buck that was a little bigger but, by the time he came out it was to dark to get any shots of him.

This is the only "usable" shot I got of either of them.. & this is his south end as he was walking off. He's a nice buck but, nothing like what I'll be seeing in a couple months. I just cant wait till the crops start drying & come out & it gets the big bucks moving mid-day in good light. I'll get some awesome shots of some of these monsters then!! lol

Later, Phil B.

Big_Buck_08-09-05_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Nice Buck..

Phil, brother, believe me I feel your frustration.. low light scenarios are so tough to shoot under.. yet that is the prime time for wildlife.. what kind of cam do you have? (or is it a frame from video)

I might have a couple suggestions.. Looks like a nice buck.. too bad the photo quality doesnt do him any justice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Nice Buck..

Shutter,

I'm using a Konica Minolta Dimage Z5, this was just a pic, not a video capture. I either leave the camera set on auto or sunset, (still new to the digital camera world & "manual" photography) all of these pics are taken right about 5-10 minutes before dark & in fog/haze.

The pics I've taken in good light turn out just fine, there clear & sharp w/good color.

Everyone,

Yes, they are nice bucks but, I'm after their daddy.. he's a BIG 8 point with kickers & stickers everywhere! lol He makes these two look "small." As most of you know, we have some very nice bucks here in Illinois & most of the bucks I see during season are quite a bit bigger than these. As I said before.. I'm trying to get some good clear shots of them for all to see.

Thanks All, Phil B.

Here is a quick pic I took of a flower out the window of the truck from about 8-10 feet. This is a 100% crop, the flower is only about the size of a quarter. Flower_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Nice Buck..

[ QUOTE ]

still new to the digital camera world & "manual" photography

[/ QUOTE ]

open your camera manual and read up on the "shutter priority" setting. what happens when in auto mode and when in low light, is that the camera slows down the shutter very slow in order to allow enough light to expose the photograph. This is a problem because hand shake can be evident because the shutter is open for so long. Putting the camera in shutter priority mode at a value of about 1/100second will be just fast enough to prevent much hand shake.. you need to hold your breath, and really try to hold still when you press the shutter though. this may underexpose (eg photo will be dark) the photo some.. if you are in really really low light, you might be able to bump the EV value up to help out.. if that doesnt help, it is just too dark to shoot anything.

the other thing you might want to look into is a teleconverter, so you can zoom in even closer. There are some good ones out there, I have had good experiences with some of the olympus tcons.. not sure if they work well with your cam though.. yours will take a telephoto, you have to get an adapter tube though

minolta_tube.jpg

is that buck photo a crop? how far was the buck in that pic you took? about 60-70 yards?

post up or pm me with questions, I'd love to help you out.. I fought low light problems all the time.. extremely frustrating..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Nice Buck..

Shutter,

I'm getting ready to order the adapter & teleconverter, the Z5 has Anti-Shake built in. I've read that if you are using a tripod (in my case a monopod) you should turn the AS off!? I have tried it both ways & get about the same results. I have read some of the manual, I'm going to try & sit a finish going threw it in the next day or so. There are some settings that this camera has that are still untouched.. I don't know how to set them YET!?

As for the camera.. it will take awesome pics, I just have to figure out how to make it take them!? lol

Most of the shots I've been taking are probably 300+ yards to about a mile. lol The camera has 4x digital zoom but, as most everyone knows.. digital zoom SUCKS! 2X digital isn't bad though.

The bucks above are at the far end of this strip of CRP at about 250-300yrds but, there has been times in the past I have caught them feet from the road & w/the 12x zoom I can get them as they run & as they usually do stop about 100yrds out & turn around to look back.

Here is the same spot the two bucks were at yesterday, I took these tonight (same conditions & time) from the same spot (the road) to give you an idea of how far it was.

Thanks for all the help, I'll try as you suggested & report back tomorrow & let you know how it went.

Later, Phil B.

Wide_Zoom_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.