HarvDog Posted August 26, 2005 Report Share Posted August 26, 2005 So why is it bad to dry fire a bow? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
popgun Posted August 26, 2005 Report Share Posted August 26, 2005 Re: Dry Firing I'm going to assume you're serious. Without getting into the whole Physics thing about opposite and equal reactions etc.. Have you ever fished with a casting reel and did not put your thumb on the spool before the bait hit the water? It is called backlash. Same principle with a compound bow, crossbow, or even a simple re-curve. With the exception, that the backlash is more extensive, expensive, and dangerous. You will crack the limbs on a re-curve bow, break cables, cams, etc. on a compound. "Just don't do it." Or...at least warn everyone everyone around you what you plan to do before doing it. ....popgun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VTbowman Posted August 26, 2005 Report Share Posted August 26, 2005 Re: Dry Firing The weight of your arrow is suppose to take a majority of the bow limbss stored energy. The heavier the arrow the more it will take from the string via the limbs. If you have zero resistance to your string then once your string hits brace height the bows limbs have no where to deliver the stored energy and it can cause a back lash and very viollent vibrations and stress throughout the entire bow. The cams, wheels and their parts taking the brunt of it. It could bend your axles, crack the limb tips, break the cables and string. Or none of it. Its just depends on how well your bow is put together and maintained... Nothing you should do thats for sure but will not comletely ruin a bow if its done. Most times nothing happens to your bow but man its scary... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NY_Bowhunter14 Posted August 26, 2005 Report Share Posted August 26, 2005 Re: Dry Firing i was lucky i accidentally dry fired once... ( i felt like an idiot) anyways i was lucky enough to not have to bow blow up on me... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JimT Posted August 27, 2005 Report Share Posted August 27, 2005 Re: Dry Firing The only times I have dry fired is when I had some glue on nocks fall off right the the release.... Dry firing is not good for your bow at all. The bow is taking everything instead of sharing it with the arrow... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HarvDog Posted August 27, 2005 Author Report Share Posted August 27, 2005 Re: Dry Firing Thanks for the information. I just wanted to understand exactly why so when people ask me why, I can explain it properly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MCH Posted August 27, 2005 Report Share Posted August 27, 2005 Re: Dry Firing Honestly?? The first time I grabbed a compound, I dry fired it.. On purpose... Heck, I didn't know no better. I had bought the bow off of e-bay, took it out of the package, dry fired it, then bent down and read the warning on the bottom of the limbs.... OOPS! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest kyhunter1 Posted August 28, 2005 Report Share Posted August 28, 2005 Re: Dry Firing dry firing is *&%^ on the cams! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Kat Posted August 28, 2005 Report Share Posted August 28, 2005 Re: Dry Firing [ QUOTE ] Honestly?? The first time I grabbed a compound, I dry fired it.. On purpose... Heck, I didn't know no better. I had bought the bow off of e-bay, took it out of the package, dry fired it, then bent down and read the warning on the bottom of the limbs.... OOPS! [/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the laugh Kev.....lol, we all make mistakes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Smitteken Posted August 28, 2005 Report Share Posted August 28, 2005 Re: Dry Firing I compare dry firing to hitting a golfball. When you take a practice swing you aren't putting as much force into it. But when you are actually trying to hit the ball and miss it all of the energy come back to your body. It feels like you could break your back. All in all the energy has to go somewhere, so if it doesn't go with the arrow it goes back through the limbs. OUCH. I cringe thinking about it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.