ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 My treestand has good background cover now with leaves on the trees but once they fall, I'll be out in the open. I'm 15 ft up and the tree is a fat one but thats it. What do you guys do for stand cover once the leaves are gone? Won't I stick out like a sore thumb and if I blink I'll get busted? Do you just hope to see the deer before they get so close and then hope to blend in with the tree? Right now, the deer are really close before I even see them. This is because of leaves. I'm looking forward to the leaves dropping with the exception of those that cover my back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover If it is a permanent stand I cut some cedar limbs and attach to the stand. Climbing stands you are just stuck with being seen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jbeck Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I try to put the tree between me and the approching deer. I usually try to get up higher when the leaves drop, this puts me out of there per. vision. Good luck with it though, it is dificult Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Hutchies must sit in my stand I use zip ties to put cedars all over my stand. They stay green for a long time and are absolutely quite! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Yep and with cedars you get a natural cover scent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Author Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Cool! We have plenty of cedars available. I have a ladder stand and would like to go higher but would have to try to find another compatible section of ladder to do so. Do you attach cedars from top to bottom of the ladder? What about on the tree behind the seat? Tree is fat, zip ties won't work on the tree itself. Maybe some twine? And when do you attach the cedars? From the start of season or after leaves fall? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
c_lou Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Both of my treestands are on the opposite side of the tree that I expect the deer to be coming from. Although last year I had a small 8 pointer walk-in from in front of me and he never knew I was there. I have a tree in front of me as well. It also comes down to being as still and as scent-free as possible. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Maybe Hutchiues is in my stand back in Ok where from I'm from Coweta but hunt down by Kiowa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I attach them to the platform on the ladder stand and have them sticking up. they will stand up for a long time. If you have a railing around your stand you can attach it to them and have it hanging down from them. They will last longer if hanging down rather than standing up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Author Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover [ QUOTE ] Both of my treestands are on the opposite side of the tree that I expect the deer to be coming from. [/ QUOTE ] Wow. I would think that this would be difficult at best. This wouldn't be possible where my stand is right now. Season has only begun and I've had deer to come from all directions. Theres no way to pick one or even two directions that I believe they will come from. I am constantly slowly scanning all around me with the exception of behind me. And they've come that way too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I put them on the bottom of my hanging stand so they stick out the front on the sides and zip a couple hanging of the fonr and about knee high when I am sitting works great its like a miny blind. I rarely have a deer spot me and my stand is only about 12 feet from the ground. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
c_lou Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Both of my treestands are on the opposite side of the tree that I expect the deer to be coming from. [/ QUOTE ] Wow. I would think that this would be difficult at best. This wouldn't be possible where my stand is right now. Season has only begun and I've had deer to come from all directions. Theres no way to pick one or even two directions that I believe they will come from. I am constantly slowly scanning all around me with the exception of behind me. And they've come that way too. [/ QUOTE ] I guess I should clarify. I set my treestands up facing away from a known bedding area to catch them coming from the bedding area to the food. That makes them better for the afternoon and a Westerly wind. I agree deer come from all over and that's where the scent-free and stillness come into play. But the deer I shot last year came from behind me and never knew what hit him. The one the previous year, there was still a few leaves on the trees. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckblaster Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover i have a lock on, and i have a few really thin trees about 3-4 feet away from stand that i take a thin rope and pull them into my stand ...so they are around me ...works great. until the leaves fall and then i use the pine branches... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Nothing. I depend on my Advantage camo. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Author Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Both of my treestands are on the opposite side of the tree that I expect the deer to be coming from. [/ QUOTE ] Wow. I would think that this would be difficult at best. This wouldn't be possible where my stand is right now. Season has only begun and I've had deer to come from all directions. Theres no way to pick one or even two directions that I believe they will come from. I am constantly slowly scanning all around me with the exception of behind me. And they've come that way too. [/ QUOTE ] I guess I should clarify. I set my treestands up facing away from a known bedding area to catch them coming from the bedding area to the food. That makes them better for the afternoon and a Westerly wind. I agree deer come from all over and that's where the scent-free and stillness come into play. But the deer I shot last year came from behind me and never knew what hit him. The one the previous year, there was still a few leaves on the trees. [/ QUOTE ] Gotcha. I try to be as scent free and still as possible. So far I've done pretty good. Cept for that big doe spotting me last night. Shes a smart one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Author Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover [ QUOTE ] I put them on the bottom of my hanging stand so they stick out the front on the sides and zip a couple hanging of the fonr and about knee high when I am sitting works great its like a miny blind. I rarely have a deer spot me and my stand is only about 12 feet from the ground. [/ QUOTE ] Sounds good. Do you shoot sitting down? I know alot of hunters do but I have to stand up. Very slowly and preferrably when their head is behind a tree. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckblaster Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Cept for that big doe spotting me last night. Shes a smart one. [/ QUOTE ] i hate the smart ones..lol...she needs to takin..lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover smart old does are the worst! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JimT Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I have heard of people using old fake christmas trees as well..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover real ones are better natural scent! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Smitteken Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I don't use anything extra for coverage. I just stay completely still. I only turn my head about every 10 or 15 minutes very slowly to scan the area. If deer are moving good or it is during prime time I'll stand nearly the whole time. That way I'm ready. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
brain Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover i went to my local craft store and bought some fake green vines and i zip locked them around my climber.it blends right in .i always cut a few natural branches to tie on my stands each time i go hunting for cover and scent control too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jbeck Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Yes Lady DH, i do try to remain sitting when I can. I practice shooting sitting down, and have taken quite a few deer while sitting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Andrea Posted September 28, 2005 Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover Wow.....I don't guess I have ever worried about cover. I almost always hang my stand in a pine tree. The first limbs aren't until you get at least 25 feet up. I don't go that high. But the tree is pretty fat. I haven't been seen yet. ( Knock on wood. ) But the cedar limbs sounds like a good idea. Of course...you can always get one of those leafy suits too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladydiehard Posted September 28, 2005 Author Report Share Posted September 28, 2005 Re: Question about treestand cover I'm gonna try the cedar limbs. Even when standing to shoot, they will help. Especially from the sides. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.