Squirrelhunter91 Posted October 6, 2005 Report Share Posted October 6, 2005 Today, I went with dad after shooting our turkeys to go work on the treestands. Basically, we were hanging spray painted burlap around the stands for some cover in the stand. I of course had to bring the shotgun just in case. As I am sitting on the quad, my dad asked me to get him the boxcutter so he could cut the burlap to the right size. I climb up and hand it to him. As I am standing on the steps and talking with dad about something, I hear leaves rustling behind me, I say, " Chipmunk! No wait, red squirrel! " I climb down real quick, grab the gun and load a shell in from my pocket. It was a 3" turkey load, but anyway, I see the squirrel climb up a little tree about 10 feet up, I load the gun, and rack the slide. The critter then turned broadside. Didn't matter anyway, but I let er rip and down that squirrel went. Last year, it took me all summer to down my first red with the pellet gun. Now I just happened to stumble across one today. Shot that sucker dead. They are so annoying while sitting on deer stand. They get real close to you, about 10-15 ft away, and they just chatter and don't shut up. That's why we sometimes carry a slingshot.. Anyway, I wasn't exactly planning on keeping it, but it turned out to be a nice female, but when I went to pull the tail out of the skin, it ripped and I just cut the tail off and left the rest for the coyotes: Notice the turkey tail fan salted up and drying.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted October 6, 2005 Report Share Posted October 6, 2005 Re: Got a red squirrel today.. My depth perception isn't the greatest. My second day of squirrel hunting back in the day, I saw what I thought was a gray squirrel about 30 yards away. Turns out it was a red squirrel about 15 yards away. Needless to say, there wasn't anything left to eat. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
waterfowler_gal Posted October 10, 2005 Report Share Posted October 10, 2005 Re: Got a red squirrel today.. *DELETED* Post deleted by waterfowler_gal Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shaun_300 Posted October 10, 2005 Report Share Posted October 10, 2005 Re: Got a red squirrel today.. Congrats on the squirrel Joe! I nailed one too with the 12 gauge this weekend while I was crow hunting... wasn't much left of him! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BIG_BUCK_1 Posted October 10, 2005 Report Share Posted October 10, 2005 Re: Got a red squirrel today.. congrats Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
waterfowler_gal Posted October 10, 2005 Report Share Posted October 10, 2005 Re: Got a red squirrel today.. Way to go Joe! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.