Deer Were Moving!


ladydiehard

Recommended Posts

Last evenings hunt was definitely mixed up to say the least. But it was also alot of fun as deer were definitely moving.

As I was walking into the woods I jumped a deer as I rounded a corner. It didn't run off fast and headed just over a hill so I nocked an arrow and slowly approached the top of the hill. But it was gone.

Got situated by 5pm and by 5:15 I was seeing deer to the north. They moved on, I relaxed for only a few minutes when at 5:30 here comes a small doe from the north. This is a good direction as the wind was out of the north/northwest. She came to a certain spot, stopped, kept looking back and was nervous. I didn't see any cause for the nervousness but none the less she stayed just barely out of range and then wandered off.

Once again, I relax for only a few minutes when I spot a large bodied deer moving in from the southeast. I could sense trouble with this cause the wind was kicking pretty good. But I got ready anyway and watched as a young buck got across from me at about 45 yards and the wind gusted a bit. Up went the nose followed by the tail. He was outta there.

Once again, I relax, this time for about 15 minutes before a doe comes barreling down a nearby hill to the north. Tail wasn't up so I don't know why she was running but she was. She was headed straight for me at one point but then turned and headed for the cornfield. At the edge of the cornfield I knew she wasn't going to come my way so I gave a couple calls with the can. She ignored it. So I gave a couple young buck grunts and she stopped. She was out of range but I was hopeful. Her curiosity wasn't great enough though and she finally moved on into the corn.

I was going to try my other stand tomorrow. But its really hard to move when deer keep running through at my current spot. I suspect a couple of the does are educated as to my presence but there are others that aren't educated yet. Including the bucks. laugh.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Deer Were Moving!

Sounds like you saw alot of activity.

I had a big doe browse 6 yards from my treestand, and couldn't get a shot her way because of the limbs in the way. One of those things where if you clean out the area too much you would stick out like a sore thumb. Watched her for about 15 minutes before she walked off. At several spots she grazed, the wind was blowing right at her. I love my Scent-loc suit! She never had a clue.

At 6p.m I could hear a deer coming, and clicked on my release. bow was on my lap, and I slowly raised it up. The deer was alot closer than I though, and it came to a dead stop behind a tree. I watched it slowly circle behind me, but walked off calmly.

That was all that came out for me.

Tonight, I'll sit in my other stand. It's supposed to get cold again. Good luck.

Dawg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.