Dead Zone


Smitteken

Recommended Posts

I just searched an old post and came up with this vitals chart... http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

According to this there isn't a "dead zone" this is what I call the area just below the spine and above the lungs. I've never hit a deer here, but I suspect my brother did last year. We had very dark hair on the arrow zero blood. And only a few drops while tracking it. We searched for hours and never recovered it.

Another thing if you would hit only the liver would you get much blood?

I would also think that puncturing the diaphram would be lethal too, because without it they can't inflate there lungs.

Mind you this is a biologist thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Dead Zone

Don't know for sure, and I guess we'll never know, but my buddy hit a decent buck a long time ago, when we first started hunting. I remember tracking that deer, it was pretty easy for awhile both with blood and the tracks in the mud because this deer had an overlapping hoof on his left side. After awhile we lost the blood trail but continued to track this deer for another 300 or 400 yards all in the mud. We never did find him, and never did see him again. The only thing we can figure is that Shawn hit him high above the shoulder blade in that dead zone.

As for liver, it depends. Liver blood is a real dark red, almost purplish looking blood, that shot is often accompanied with other gut tissue on your arrow like stomach contents.

I think puncturing the diaphram would certainly create a pneumothorax and always be lethal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Dead Zone

Its my belief that its not a dead zone UNTIL you create air holes to break the vacuum in that area thus causing the lungs to sag and make such an "open air" area between the spine and lungs.

As for bleeding and blood trails produced by this area?

Well look at it this way; you aint goona get much water out of a cup with hole near the rim of it even though its full.

But ya will with hole near the bottom. LOL

Again JMO/theory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.