Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Coming from such an experienced seasoned expert hunter like myself, I have never really used a compass and not sure how to. I have either always relied on instinct or my GPS. I do want to learn how to use a compass because some of the areas I hunt in, my GPS does not get a signal from the martians..I mean satellites. Does anyone know of a good website that shows the basics of a compass? Kinda like a compass101 website...or maybe compasses for dummies class? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest lostiniowa Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you i would just google it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you I tried and didn't have much luck. Thought maybe someone in here would have a site in mind. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you Um, basically Hold it level, and it always points north. So if its pointing behind you, then behind you is north. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] Um, basically Hold it level, and it always points north. So if its pointing behind you, then behind you is north. [/ QUOTE ] Thanks!! I'm all set now! With all that info I am ready for the Yukon Territories! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you On the bottom is how to use it while walking, and top is how to use it on a map. Maybe this will help a little Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you Try this as well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you Thanks..I think those will be enough! Both look like a good lesson. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RangerClay Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you "This may surprise you" Thought you were going to tell us you were a cross dresser or something j/k Ranger Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] "This may surprise you" Thought you were going to tell us you were a cross dresser or something j/k Ranger [/ QUOTE ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
huntinsonovagun Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] Um, basically Hold it level, and it always points north. So if its pointing behind you, then behind you is north. [/ QUOTE ] This is what I was thinking! If I'm in an area that I need to know more....I shouldn't be there.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bulldawg Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you A good word of advice is to stay out of magnetic swamps too... It really gets you going to see that needle spinning in circles...especially if you aren;t sure where you're at Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beagleboy Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you Never really needed a compass. Never hunted any land bigger than 300 acres. After a few round a bouts pretty much know the property like the side of my hand. But it would have been handy the weekend I hunted the Adirondacks and the week I was in Maine. Both times I had a guide and pretty much dropped me off and picked me up. But it would have been nice to explore a little. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NS whitetail Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you here in Nova Scotia, it is law that --------- whenever entering the woods to hunt, you must carry 1 --- a knife 2 --- a waterproof source of flame 3 --- a compass and be knowledgeable on how to use it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Canadian_Shooter Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you NS... if thats true..then i hope the game wardens dont find me haha Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NS whitetail Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you [ QUOTE ] NS... if thats true..then i hope the game wardens dont find me haha [/ QUOTE ] it is very much true it only makes sense to carry these things anyway Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Canadian_Shooter Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you i carry all cept the compass and i do also carry some knowledge about how to use a compass Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Um, basically Hold it level, and it always points north. So if its pointing behind you, then behind you is north. [/ QUOTE ] This is what I was thinking! If I'm in an area that I need to know more....I shouldn't be there.... [/ QUOTE ] So I'm confused...do you ever hunt new areas? I belong to a hunting camp that is 3900 acres and all the camps around it are actually larger. Up til now, I have only really hunted about a 50 acre piece of it, but want to start expanding and since the area is very dense and hilly, sometimes GPS don't receive a good signal. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NS whitetail Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you canadian shooter page 54 in the book that comes with your license line 6 No person shall enter any woods for the purpose of hunting, unless that person possesses a compass in working order, a hand axe or hunting knife or jackknife, and a supply of waterproof matches or matches in a waterproof container or a source of flame. You must be able to demonstrate the ability to operate the compass to the satisfaction of a conservation officer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Canadian_Shooter Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may surprise you ahha well better grab my compass and put it in my bag! hahaa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckee Posted October 19, 2005 Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you It wouldn't hurt to take a short course of " Map Compass Orienteering" to find out how to use a compass in conjuction with a map. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted October 19, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 19, 2005 Re: This may suprise you I think a lot of guys really don't know how to use a compass to its fullest. I have met many who will tell ya so. Of course I know the simple NSEW part of it and which way I am heading. I just want to learn all the other uses for it. Like using it with a map and stuff. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NS whitetail Posted October 20, 2005 Report Share Posted October 20, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] Of course I know the simple NSEW part of it [/ QUOTE ] the correct term is NESW ------- north-east-south-west making a living out on the ocean, a guy really needs to know the compass and all its directions Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griz Posted October 20, 2005 Report Share Posted October 20, 2005 Re: This may suprise you Don't fill bad swampy I don't know how to use one either...I just point my finger and say over there... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NS whitetail Posted October 20, 2005 Report Share Posted October 20, 2005 Re: This may suprise you [ QUOTE ] what do all the numbers mean? [/ QUOTE ] the numbers are the degrees of the compass N = 360 degrees E = 90 degrees S = 180 degrees W = 270 degrees and then you have all the points in between ex. Northeast , Southeast, Southwest, Northwest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.