unioncountyslayer Posted October 27, 2005 Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 The online poll asked a great question and thought I would get everyone's take on it in here. Do you process your own deer meat or do you take it to a proccessor to have it done? And if you process your own do you own any processing equipment? I personally have mine processed. It is so much easier, especially since I have a processor 5 miles from my house. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tedicast Posted October 27, 2005 Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? We process all our own. My brother and I, and a friend of ours do the cutting, and my wife, and sis-in-law do the packing. I like the idea of knowing what is in each package of meat, and knowing it is MY meat. As for equiptment we have knives ,and cutting boards that are just for butchering. A scale. A cabelas meat grinder, with a sausage stuffer attatchment. We have to Food Savers for vacuum packing our final cuts. We do roasts, steaks, stew, ghround, and sausage. It is pretty much just part of the hunt for us, and an excuse to hang out, have a beer or 2, and it is always good for a few laughs. A typical processor here charges close to $100 per deer. We have done 2 this year already so it is well worth it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
unioncountyslayer Posted October 27, 2005 Author Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? WOW! 100 bucks for a deer, that's crazy! I guess I would process my own as well. You can get one done down here in NC for around $40. But you make a good point, I have always wandered if I'm really getting "my deer" when I pick it up. Sometimes it seems like I'm not getting enough back. I do skin and gut, as well as take the backstraps and hams when I hunt at my wife's family farm, where there is not a processor close by, but I take it to the processore when I get home, but I'm thinking about getting into doing a few a year on my own. About how much money should I plan on spending for a good grinder, knives, etc.? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bowhunt101 Posted October 27, 2005 Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? I do mine on my own.... When I shot my first one (small doe) Dad taught me how to field dress/gut, and skin a deer so I perty much just carried on from there and have cleaned every deer I have shot since myself.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest nebraskahunter Posted October 27, 2005 Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? funny you should bring this up since I just ground up some deer last night. My buddy and I do all our own proccessing saves us alot of money. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tedicast Posted October 27, 2005 Report Share Posted October 27, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? Our grinder is a Cabelas. It is either 3/4 or 1 hp, can't remember. We paid right around $400 for it. It works exceptionally well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tallone Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? I'll skin and de-bone mine than I take it to a processer about thirty min from here. He makes great sauage smoked and non and makes up a lot of ground for me with garlic and green onion seasoning. I've tried a lot of others but none is as good as his in my opinion. Also he vacuum packs everything with the date and contents. which is really nice, it lasts a long time that way. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bowhunt101 Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? Thought Id add that we ground two of my deer a couple years ago completely into hamburger ourselves and you wanna talk about some GOOD EATING!!!!!!!! Works great in spaghetti and all kinds of stuff!!!!!!!!-tim Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PAbowhunter86 Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? I take mine somewhere its alot easier. Alot of times I am sick after being in the woods all day and I really dont feel like proccessing a deer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dg Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? I do my own deer. The cuts are nothing fancy, just chunked up into roasts and the smaller stuff is tagged for jerky. Wrap in plastic wrap and freezer paper. The reasons I do my own is: 1. I'm too tight to spend that kind of money! 2. I meticulously (sp?) remove all fat and slimy stuff from the meat. I never have a gamey taste. I'm thinking of grinding some soon and try that. I put my meat in coolers of ice. That way I can cut/wrap it up 2-3 days later when I want to. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tedicast Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? [ QUOTE ] I put my meat in coolers of ice. That way I can cut/wrap it up 2-3 days later when I want to. [/ QUOTE ] We almost always skin and quarter our deer the night they are killed. We put the meat in an extra refigerator in my bro's basement, and we bone it out, and make our finais cuts anytime over the next 4 or 5 days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
robk Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? i have mine processed. it is easier and no mess for me and my processor has some great recipes for summer sausage so why not have him do it lol rob k Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lil hunter Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? We've always taken ours to a processor, but i think my dad is hoping to start processing our own within the next season or two. He's been looking at some processing stuff lately. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
double_drop Posted October 28, 2005 Report Share Posted October 28, 2005 Re: Realtree Online Poll?? We do our own deer especially during shotgun season. Our group of 12 normally end up with 20 to 24 deer at the end of the weekend. We all skin them and then cut them up in the barn. Next it is off to the house where we grind up the meat for burger cut all the steaks and loins and then make sausage and jerky. Sometimes we take them to the locker all the cut up meat i should say to have breakfast links and sticks made. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.