RMS Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 There is a piece of property I hunt that has truly some big bucks in the area. I don't hunt this land until the rut, first part of november. The reason being this property insn't extremely wide, but it is very long. It is very easy to educate the deer and I only enter this land in the early morning hours while the deer are out in the fields. My strategy is to set up in areas to catch big bucks once they start cruising this very long piece of property. I finally went out this morning and only saw a few yearlings and a doe. One my way back to the owners house I came across a rub line that had 6 rubs around twelve inches in diameter. I'm sure it's one of the monsters that lives in this river bottom. I've seen B&C bucks on this property. These were truly huge rubs, and very fresh. The problem I have is this rub line is only about 75 yards from the owners yard. My feelings are this is taking place under the cover of darkness and I don't know if I should set up along this line or use the stands I hunt that I know are in great locations. I've never hunted this near the owners house but this are where the biggest rubs are. What does everyone think? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bowhunt101 Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions Dont know that is a hard decision to make, it would probobly be a smarter bet to hunt stands that are already there.... The buck is not wary of them if they have been there a while I wouldnt suspect anyways and therefore if he wanders by he might not suspect so much if something is out of place know what I mean???? Then again if you set up on the rub line you may stand a better chance at getting him, dont know, good luck on gigging him neways,-tim.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions I think you're right, those rubs are being made at night. Hunt the does bud, you'll see the bucks when the does come in. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AaronS Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions I agree with Chris. Right now, the bucks will be where the does are. In addition, you don't want to make the landowner angry by hunting next to his yard and potentially lose a great hunting spot. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PAbowhunter86 Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions If you are seeing does then the bucks are gonna be there sometime. You said the you know your stand are in a good spot. Well if something anit broken why fix it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckee Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions Are you talking rubs or scrapes ? If it is OK with the landowner that you are bow hunting close to the house, I would first back off to somewhere where you can just sit and glass the area to see if the buck is showing up during daylight hours. Then you could decide where to set up if you feel so inclined. I also agree with the above posts in that if you have your stands in a good location now and there are does there, it won't be long now before you start seeing some bucks chasing them does. Your choice ... just make sure you respect the land owner in your decision. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vagobbln Posted November 2, 2005 Report Share Posted November 2, 2005 Re: Need opinions [ QUOTE ] I think you're right, those rubs are being made at night. Hunt the does bud, you'll see the bucks when the does come in. [/ QUOTE ] I'd agree. Hunt the ladies. If your rut is in full swing (chasing and actual breeding) big boy is not worried about freshning those rubs right now, I wouldn't think. When things start winding down, he may start working them again. Pop up a trail cam on the rubline, though. You might catch him coming through, even if it is at night. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.