Guest Andrea Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Got an email telling me to boycott the following stores: Wal-Mart Target Costco Sears BECAUSE: They will not be using the phrase "Merry Christmas" this marketing season nor will their employees be ALLOWED to use the greeting "Merry Christmas". Now, I know most of us are constantly getting emails forwarded "warning" us of different things and telling us stuff that is or isn't true. So this has probably been heard before. But I want to know if it's true. If I remember correctly, there's a sign at the front entrance of Wal-Mart that says "47 days left til Christmas" ( Or however many days left) How can you stop someone from saying Merry Christmas? This just sounds like a lot of bull to me. Anyone hear about it???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TreeStandBowHunter Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Sounds like another email chain game to me. If we keep boycotting stores, their won't be any to shop at Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
huntinsonovagun Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? It's all about Christmas. Nothing else. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? I think it is all a bunch of crap. I know people that boycott wal-mart all together because they say they are too big and they make too much money. Hey tell someone else to invent a store that you can get almost everything you need in one trip until then I am sticking with Wal-mart. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RangerClay Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? I'm "encouraged" not to say Merry Christmas here at school. The kids often ask if I believe in Santa. Ranger Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
billygoat Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? I know there is a big add campaign going on right now, to boycott Walmart- but I think it is for a different reason (no insurance for employees). As far as the Merry Christmas issue, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Sounds like a chain to me, and Wal-mart employees around here... well, they will be saying Merry Christmas- Guaranteed! I wonder if they can say Felis Navidad? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Andrea Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] anyone see madagascre...the cartoon on sale yet, I want it but I ain't paying $19.99 plus tax [/ QUOTE ] Hey, it's only $14.99 at Wal-Mart . Bought it last night. Very funny. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? We need Popgun to investigate this. C'mon Jeff, we need a report. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Andrea Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Here's where the story came from: No Merry Christmas Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clayman Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Where in the story did it say that they are forbidding their employees from uttering the phrase "Merry Christmas"? The O'Reily transcript only suggests that these stores are not using the word "Christmas" in their advertising. I'm not defending the sterilization of the language, I think it stinks too, but I'm just curious to see where the stores have actually written policy on what their employees can or can't say in the course of their job. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Canadian_Goose Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? i think they should be allow to use christmas...because they are selling christmas related items. THey are merly accomidating the largest percentage of consumers in the area (christain). If they were selling a buddah statue would they not call it BUddah? (no offense to the buddists out there just an example) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Andrea Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? [ QUOTE ] Where in the story did it say that they are forbidding their employees from uttering the phrase "Merry Christmas"? The O'Reily transcript only suggests that these stores are not using the word "Christmas" in their advertising. I'm not defending the sterilization of the language, I think it stinks too, but I'm just curious to see where the stores have actually written policy on what their employees can or can't say in the course of their job. [/ QUOTE ] Yeah, I used to work at Wal-Mart. I don't believe that part about not allowing their employees to say "Merry Christmas" either. (That was what my email said.) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clayman Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Here's an idea: purposefully go into these stores and tell every employee you encounter to "Have a Merry Christmas" then watch them squirm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
007hunter Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Nope, its true. I saw it on O'reilly Factor a few days ago...They are scared that they are going to offend the few percent of people that are offeneded by "Merry Christmas". But by not saying this and getting all this negative publicity I think they are hurting their business more than helping it, considering that such a large percent of Americans are Christian or consider themselves to be so. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VtBowhunter Posted November 16, 2005 Report Share Posted November 16, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? [ QUOTE ] Here's an idea: purposefully go into these stores and tell every employee you encounter to "Have a Merry Christmas" then watch them squirm. [/ QUOTE ] I like people that look for the fun you can have with people in everything, lol. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
unioncountyslayer Posted November 17, 2005 Report Share Posted November 17, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? Amen Huntinsonovagun and J.B.! And 007Hunter, didn't you know by now that in America we cater to the minority. It's ridiculous! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stevebeilgard Posted November 17, 2005 Report Share Posted November 17, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? i don't holiday shop. i christmas shop. but not at stores that dont have a christmas season. (remember, it a holiday season) and , i've written to them all with this statement. and i mean it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BIG_BUCK_1 Posted November 17, 2005 Report Share Posted November 17, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? i think it is bull how they can't say merry christmas any more Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HarvDog Posted November 17, 2005 Report Share Posted November 17, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? [ QUOTE ] It's all about Christmas. Nothing else. [/ QUOTE ] AMEN!! Nuff said!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BowtechTurkeyHunter Posted November 17, 2005 Report Share Posted November 17, 2005 Re: No MERRY CHRISTMAS ??? No email is gonna make up my mind where I go for my CHRISTmas shopping I will tell them merry Christmas and everyone around me will hear me say it to ... if they get offended well tough .... I dont care what others think of me in that way ... as long as I dont smell funny .... I'm gonna be who I am ... So MERRY CHRISTMAS Every one about a month and half early ... lol I dont care though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.