i have a decision to make i need input


ksdeerhunter03

Recommended Posts

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

deer hunters must be able to change according to what the deer are currently doing. i also have some old reliable stands , but i always scout each area just in case the deer are up to something new.

i feel you should scout new places and hunt where the sign tells you to be.

Good luck

Tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

[ QUOTE ]

deer hunters must be able to change according to what the deer are currently doing. i also have some old reliable stands , but i always scout each area just in case the deer are up to something new.

i feel you should scout new places and hunt where the sign tells you to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't agree more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

Use a climber and be versatile. Change when the deer change or try to anticipate where the deer will be. Find out why the deer are going where they are and maybe you can set up on them real quick. I like to pack my stand into an area and then drop it off and scout the immediate area. When I find a good spot with good sign, I grab my climber and set up quickly. If you leave everything else with your stand, no matter what, take your bow and release and quiver. You never know what might happen. I have walked up on more than one daydreaming buck with no bow. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

I have hunted "old reliable" stands all season with no success. Not that these stands are burned up, its just that I didn't happen to be in them when the deer came through. Maybe they were going somewhere else those days. These are all proved spots. The best results from a stand site usually is the very first time you hunt it. After that the odds go down quite a bit as you leave scent and maybe have deer see you without you seeing them. Its game over once you are patterned.

Play the wind and hunt the sign. Don't give up on "old reliable". Just give it a break for awhile. Remember that winter temperatures can make using your climber somewhat of a task and a risk. More clothing for warmth will restrict your movement somewhat when climbing and descending. Be prepared and be careful. A ground blind or fixed stand set up may be the way to go at this time. wink.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

Deer in my area are shifting their territory all the time based on crop rotation, crop harvest, food supply, weather, hunting pressure, etc.

IMHO--fresh prints don't lie. I'd keep checking the area you're seeing tracks. If they're consistently there, I'd hunt that area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

I've had the same problem this year. I put up a treestand in a seemingly perfect spot, although I haven't had a shot at a deer while sitting there with my bow.

I have been ground hunting about 100 yards further to the south where i know deer make their way into an adjacent field. that is where the tracks are, so that is where I'm going to be hunting the rest of the season. I'll probably take down that stand and put it along the trail I've been ground hunting from and pick up some ladder extensions which are now on sale at every store.

You have to adapt - maybe not the first few times, but if the pattern dictates, make the move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

They say your best chance of success in a particular stand is teh first time you hunt it, and i believe it. i shot this buck in MA the first time i ever hunted it.

jakes93.jpg

so set up a ground blind and set up int eh enw spot, you'll probably have some success the first ngiht you hunt it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

You can't have a favorite stand, you have to leave your choices open and have multiples (stands) just in case of scenarios your in right now. Don't ever jeopardize a good stand if the wind is wrong for it. Even if you seen a big buck near it. Find another place and use the wind to your advantage, if a big boy winds you the game could be over.

Alot of hunters who have a favorite stand because they seen deer from it and lots of them and then they seem to "dry up" and that may be they smell you and go another direction or they see you and avoid the area. They don't have to snort to tell you they know somethings up, they just go another way.

Try another spot, the snow is perfect for seeing their patterns. Good luck and I hope you find another "dependable" spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: i have a decision to make i need input

true i have had some luck on new spots also the first time i hunted it. I had this one tree i hunted all the time because i took several deer from it till one day it dried up on me. i think they got wise to my ambush spot, you could set your watch by these deer . Perhaps i over hunted it too. I moved on and so should you maybe revisit that spot at a later time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.