Not sure what's going on...


Griz

Recommended Posts

Here's the deal and I'm confused...

I can't figure out what is going on here. 3 years ago we had more birds then you could shake a stick at, then it was like all of a sudden they all disappeared. Well as time went on I started seeing some turkey's again. We went from a good 300 birds plus down to about 80. This last Oct. I had been watching the birds while I was out deer hunting. I would see them several times through the season. Our weather here in Oklahoma was terrible. As a matter of fact we kicked into having a bad drought and there again the turkey's disappeared. I went out today and scouted for birds. There is several places here where the birds would dust and feed at. There wasn't any sign at any of these places. Usually I can step out my back door in the mornings and listen to the turkey's gobble that are roosted along a creek that runs along a 500 acre bottom behide my house. I haven't heard not one gobble or even a yelp .

So now I'm confused and I'm wondering what happened to all the birds.

I always thought turkey's were more territorial.

Am I wrong for thinking this?

Could the drought have something to do with them in leaving?

I'm just wondering if they will come back...

Does anyone have any ideas...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

I'm not much of a turkey hunter, so I really can't help you out Dale. But let me say this, I have lived here for 3.5yrs, and yesterday and today I have heard birds gobblin to my east. This morning went out to the pond fishing, watched 8 jakes fly ACROSS the lake right around 7:30. Didn't think they would have done that.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

Here on the Ranch there are 4 running creeks and several ponds. In the past I would see the turkey's roosting along the creeks or by a near by pond. There hasn't been anything around any where...It's pretty weird. I thought at first that the birds died or something. But I don't think so or I would see some kind of sign of that.

It's just pretty crazy why so many birds just up and disappeared like that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

[ QUOTE ]

Your story and mine are just about identical. I would also add that I drive through alot of good turkey country everyday at work and have seen nothing. My favorite roost appears to be abandoned!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We've had the same thing happen on two of our prime turkey locations. Of over 800 pictures taken from our scouting cams this fall...NOT ONE picture had a turkey! We usually have good flocks in both regions and there were few birds last season too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

I haven't heard or seen many turkeys around my part for 2 years now! I too am wondering what happened confused.gif

Now you go up north to the KS line and they're EVERYWHERE! Gobbling like crazy too. I can't figure out what happened to them all. You'd think you'd hear at least one bird. Where could they go?????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

How has the population of predators been doing in your areas?

Coyote population has risen here the last few years and the gobbling has went down. After all who wants to advertise to be a meal.

Of course they could be henned up,us hunters have killed off the gobbling gene and allowed the silent ones to continue....and so forth.

In other words.....I don't really know wink.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Not sure what\'s going on...

We've not noticed any real increase in predators...nor has anyone really bagged any birds the last few years...maybe 2 or 3 tops in a 1000 acre farm. The just seem to have disappeared...neighbors have said the same.

Do you think the state may have trapped most of them for relocation efforts?

I also remember a few years ago they (ODNR) dusted by plane the entire area for killing gypsie moths...the next season, the flocks started shrinking down...I wonder if they were eating the dead moths and somehow got poisoned and died??!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.