mike Posted July 3, 2006 Report Share Posted July 3, 2006 would a food plot be considered baiting if your huntin over it? what would be the difference between that and a mineral block or a feeder? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted July 3, 2006 Report Share Posted July 3, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought I believe that Illinois has it's priorities straight! Check out their Regulations on page 7 under Feeding Wildlife. Go up to "Hunting Resources"(tab menu at the top of this page) then go to "State DNR's" then click on Illinois. Go to Hunting and find this below: 2005-2006 Digest of Hunting & Trapping Regulations View / Download the entire document (Part of page 7 of 42 below) _______________________________________________________ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest woodsnwater Posted July 3, 2006 Report Share Posted July 3, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought That brings up a good question. Never really thought of it that way. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BowJoe Posted July 4, 2006 Report Share Posted July 4, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought The reason for the ban on feeding is to help stop the spread of CWD. Part of the belief of spread of CWD is through massive feeding of deer such as feeders and piles of corn and other baits. Nothing against growing food plots or anything else as long as it is a part of agriculture. I know I keep praying that a corn truck will dump over in front of my Stand one year. So far, the highway is still about 600 yds away. Dang it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnf Posted July 4, 2006 Report Share Posted July 4, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought Personally I think that this is serious overkill on IL part. Maybe those regs are necissary for your state, not mine. If you want to get nit picky with hunting, anything short of being buck neckid and hunting them with rocks and sticks is not fair to the deer. I've yet to see any evidence beyond speculation that links food plots and CWD. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted July 4, 2006 Report Share Posted July 4, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought John, Maybe it's just my perception or how I read those Reg's...I thought it said that: "Standing Crops left as food plots for wildlife" was legal Personally I believe that when you concentrate deer into one small spot(like a salt/mineral lick) you Do run the risk of having a sick deer spreading it's disease to otherwise healthy deer. My question is: "For how many years have sick or diseased deer been eaten by hunters, without their knowledge, before there were any type of tests to show they had CWD"??? Other than obviously emaciated animals that appeared sick to anyones view of them(common sense would tell you not to eat them)...how could you or anyone tell they were or were not sick or diseased? A remote but very real chance is that at the very least myself or some of you have already eaten the meat from a CWD infected deer...if you died as a result please Dont Respond Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnf Posted July 4, 2006 Report Share Posted July 4, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought OOPS Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BowJoe Posted July 5, 2006 Report Share Posted July 5, 2006 Re: just pondering a thought I think the chances of you or I eating a diseased deer is about 50/50. If you think about it, getting your deer processed into anything like summer sausage or jerky or anything mixed is the same as eating another man's deer. You may not even have any meat from your deer in the summer sausage or jerky if it's from a processor since they mix the meat of other deer into it. I just don't think the chances are as increased of anyone killing or seeing a CWD deer in our region. It's very rare. I think the precautions are ok because it covers the entire state and not just our region to make it fair for everybody. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.