MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 I have been trying to get my scanner to work all day on my computer. I ran the software, i checked the cords, and almost everything else. But when i try to connect it, it says it cannot connect. I dont understand one thing, it says make sure USB setting is ENABLE in BIOS. What the heck does that mean? And where can I find it? Thanks, Dustin Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. It seems somehow USB support for you machine has been diabled in the Bio's.....but as anyone is aware when it comes to windows operating systems this message could lead to a dead end....check the Bio's settings to see if this is what has actually happened if so re-inable USB support, if this is not the case try a diffrent USB cable the old one may have become damaged somehow.... Another thing to check...open the device manager and scroll down to where it says Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on the + sign to expand the menu, check to see if there are any exclamation points next to any of the devices, if there is you have a problem and they need to be fixed, if there isn't nothing is wrong in this area... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. How do I check the Bios Settings? (Im not too good with computer) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. This depends on what machine you have hence: DELL, Compaq..ect. and the operating system..XP, 98se,2000 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Compaq, windows 98 Se. Ive tried looking, but i dont have a clue what bios are. LOL Im just trying to get this scanner to work, that way i can update it to xp monday. Because of compatibility, i dont know if it will work with xp. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. WOW...you just made this a whole lot easier....don't even worry about the scanner, just be sure your machine can handle XP, this can be checked at the Microsoft Site. If your installing XP on Monday you've probably have already checked this out. Before you install XP go to the Manufacture site of your scanner to see if they have XP Drivers for your scanner if they do you are all set you are compatible, just download the XP drivers and burn them to a disk. Note:::when installing XP dont have any of your devices hooked to your computer this will simplify the installtion.... What kind of scanner and model is it I'll check it for ya.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. It is a Visioneer OneTouch 5600usb But.... Where do I go for bios? Just for knowledge in case anything comes up? Thanks (sorry for making you work) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. With Compaq computers depending on the model tapping the F8 or F1 key after restarting should put you in the Bio's. WARNING if you are not sure what to do in this setup screen it's best to stay out.....believe me you can do more harm than good. Let me check on you scanner....your Bio's shouldn't be an issue XP be will make the nessary changes...when installed.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Think I would probably go into the device manager and remove the scanner and the software for it and then go back in and reload it and reinstall the software for the scanner. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. OK your scanner has drivers available for XP here is the link::: https://visupport.visioneer.com/Portal/view.aspx?id=5ba6202e-4a17-4aaf-b5ee-d872d8f2ede9 Hope this helps and was no trouble at all just click on the 5600 model... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Thanks a bunch, you were a big help. I owe you one, thats for sure. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be fixed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. No prob. just hope it all turns out good in the end....good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckee Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. You still may need to go into BIOS and turn on your USB port, to get your scanner to work. I wouldn't go into BIOS unless you know what your doing. Don't you know anyone close by who can give you a hand with this?. My buddy 3legs could help you, but I don't think he's seen this thread yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. buckee, Xp has this built in when, when a fresh install is done all of these features that Xp needs will be automatically reset. Also the Xp drivers for this scanner will reconfigure all these settings as well.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. But if he really wants to get into the Bio's which I repeat is no place for a novice to enter this is how it is done on a compaq and I in now way take responsibility if he so chooses ::: Entering the BIOS Setup utility Sometimes it can be a little tricky to get to the BIOS Setup screen because it requires pressing a specific key at a specific time. If you fail to enter the Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful: Close all applications that are currently running and restart the computer by clicking Start, Shut Down, Restart the Computer, and then OK. When the red Compaq logo screen appears, press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the Setup menu. If you are using a 6300, 6400, or S3000 series Presario desktop press the F1 key on the keyboard to enter the Setup menu. I repeat this is a dangerous area to play with.... NOTE: An alternate to the above steps, especially if the red Compaq logo screen disappears too quickly to enter BIOS, is to shut down (turn off) the computer. Wait 30 seconds, turn the power on and press F10 or F1 at the red Compaq logo screen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Thank you both for the help. No Steve, Im the only semi-computer literate person around here. LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Don't let the computer win you can conqure it...LOL I am MSCE, A+, and C+ certified but not without trashing a few computers on the way....BANG AGAINST THE WALL THERE ALL FIXED...LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 6, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Okay, I tried the F10 thingy...LOL I got it to go to the System setup screen, but what do I do after that?? There is tons of things, and I dont know what to look at. LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 6, 2004 Report Share Posted December 6, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. now you see what I mean about messing with the bio's..LOL This may help>>>> Error message: Activation failure of BIOS USB Check the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) for Legacy USB Support. To do this, follow the procedures below: Restart the computer. When the first screen displays press F10 or F1 repeatedly until the setup screen displays. Use theleft and right arrow keys to select the Advanced tab. Now use the up and down arrow keys to select Legacy USB Support. Press Enter, select Enabled, and then press Enter. Press F10 to save settings and exit. The error message should no longer display. Good Luck... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 7, 2004 Report Share Posted December 7, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Hmmm. wonder how MichiganHuntr1 made out with the XP install and the scanner ???? good I hope.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHuntr1 Posted December 8, 2004 Author Report Share Posted December 8, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. Installed XP. Now a Exclamation Point is showing up next to my modem, and I cant get on internet! Yippee. Im on a computer at school Right now. Im thinking its a driver that needs updates, but does anyone have any ideas. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
OJR Posted December 8, 2004 Report Share Posted December 8, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. PUNT!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 8, 2004 Report Share Posted December 8, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. LOL..just got to love Microsoft upgrades...I would say uninstall the modem and reinstall it again to see if it fixes the problem and I'm sure when you upgraded you used the 98se drivers this will not work, if not throw the dang thing in the gargbage and buy a new modem and bypass the headache of trying to find compatible drivers for your old modem..believe me you'll be happier for this... LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest cowpoke Posted December 8, 2004 Report Share Posted December 8, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. I agree with Vermont Hunter. I ended up doing the same thing.... the hard way... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted December 9, 2004 Report Share Posted December 9, 2004 Re: I need help with a computer problem. MichiganHuntr1, Where the heck are ya...that thing fixed YET ?? I sure hope so... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.