Randy Posted October 22, 2006 Report Share Posted October 22, 2006 8:30 this morning I whacked a nice buck. I hit him a little high but I am atleast 20' up in a tree. He was quartered away inside of 20 yards. I heard a thud, but not shoulder. I did not get the penatation I was hoping for. I watched him for 22 min. He was flickering his tail periodically. He never ran and only went 40 yards til he stopped. After the 20 min. I think he jumped the fence because I heard the fence. I believe he is hurting but I never had a situation like this before. Any advice? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Muff Posted October 22, 2006 Report Share Posted October 22, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Wait him out....I would leave him till sometime this afternoon.......maybe go out about 2 or 3 so you have lots of good light out....track him very slowly so as not to jump him if he still has his head up.......GOOD LUCK! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dogdoc Posted October 22, 2006 Report Share Posted October 22, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! yep--i agree with muff. You've got all day so wait until after lunch. Try to get a few buddies to go with you so you can cover more land. If still no luck see if you can find someone with a good tracking dog and let the dog's nose help you. good luck finding your buck. todd Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
doughboy1956 Posted October 22, 2006 Report Share Posted October 22, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! I would go with the advice of Muff and dogdoc and would get someone with a good tracking dog on it as soon as you do because it will take awhile to get an owner and dog. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Muff Posted October 22, 2006 Report Share Posted October 22, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Well Randy did you get him????? I wan to see some pics! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Newarcher Posted October 23, 2006 Report Share Posted October 23, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! I hate it when they don't give us updates! Hopefully, the lad got him. New Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Tx_Hunting_Gal Posted October 23, 2006 Report Share Posted October 23, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Has any one heard if he got it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Randy Posted October 25, 2006 Author Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Sorry for not responding faster guys. I am sad to report that I did not find him dead. I tracked him for about 4 hours Sunday afternoon. I found where he had laid down in the cornfield twice with not a drop of blood to be found in his bed. The only blood we found was on the corn stalks where it would rub off his hide when he cut through the rows. We found three places where he had knocked over a cornstalk and ate the corn off the cob. I trailed him for about 500 yards through a cornfield and jumped him. this was almost eight hours after I had shot him. I'm pretty bummed out about it but, that is unfortunately part of bowhunting. With some luck maybe I'll get another shot at him. Thanks for the quick responses. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Muff Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! better luck next time....sorry you did not get him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Newarcher Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Sounds like he will be okay.....it happens, congrats on seeing a nice deer like that! Nice attempt at locating him. New Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Too bad you didnt find him. Maybe it was not a fatal shot and you will see him again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
arrow32 Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Sorry you didnt find him. From the sounds of it he might make it tho. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Randy Posted October 31, 2006 Author Report Share Posted October 31, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! I got to see him again last night. I could not even see where the arrow went in. Hopefully he will be alright. On another positive note, I whacked a doe last night and watched her run 30 yards and crash. I needed a little confidence back and I got it!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AdvantageTimberLou Posted October 31, 2006 Report Share Posted October 31, 2006 Re: Need help quick!! Glad you got the doe Randy, sorry on the buck, things happen, glad you got your confidence back buddy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.