Jeramie Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 It never fails. I can always tell when the rut has come on. The ditches start to pile up with deer. I saw the first last night on they way home. It had a large body and im betting it was a buck. I didnt see a rack but they dont tend to make it at a 65mph impact. Then this morning I see what I thought was a dog in the road. It was a buck again (body size). It actually prompted me to turn around and have another look because it had just been hit. I was right, it was a spike with some of the longest spikes ive ever seen. I always have to tell my wife to be careful because they're stupid right now. The most I have ever seen on my 55 mile commute was 5 if I remember correctly. Anyone else notice this in your area? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MCH Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. I noticed it last weekend. Saw two deer on my way to my hunting area on the side of a major highway. On the way home had a nice buck cross at around 11 on the same major 4-lane. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
horst Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Ive noticed it as well, seems like theres certain spots around here that only hold deer when theyre getting ready to start rutting and I seen a dead buck in one such location 2 days ago, dead 6 pointer laying right on the city limits outside of town.Wont be long now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MUDRUNNER Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Seen a few around here over the last few weeks.I think most in my area so far have been due to the fact that 90% of our crops are out of the fields. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckbuster11 Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Absolutely. There are currently six in the ditches on the 12-15 mile stretch I take from home to work everyday that have been killed in the last week or so. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Jeramie, Theres a 30min(travel time) stretch of highway 79 south of Pittsburgh, PA...heading south into West Virginia where this happens. It truely is not uncommon to count 60-75 dead deer in this 30 mile area on the roadside the weekend before ThanksGiving. I have seen a Pickup Truck with a boom winch, dedicated by one of the states(I think PA), that just drives around picking up dead deer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buckbuster11 Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. [ QUOTE ] Jeramie, Theres a 30min(travel time) stretch of highway 79 south of Pittsburgh, PA...heading south into West Virginia where this happens. It truely is not uncommon to count 60-75 dead deer in this 30 mile area on the roadside the weekend before ThanksGiving. I have seen a Pickup Truck with a boom winch, dedicated by one of the states(I think PA), that just drives around picking up dead deer. [/ QUOTE ] Yup, all around Pittsburgh is horrible. I just read through a list in Deer and Deer Hunting I think it was, PA was far and away the leader in roadkill deer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Not quite that time here just yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RangerClay Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. I travel 20 miles each way to work. I havn't seen any increase in roadkills yet in my neck of NY. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stinger-Hunter Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. It is getting close, but I attribute the beginnings of dead dear on road to be the harvesting of the corn and beans. We are getting close though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Newarcher Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Seen a couple does..... It always aggrivates me when I hunt all day and see nothing but then see 4 hit on the way home....it's like "why couldn't I have had one of those instead of them dying like that?". Ahh well. New Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Airman312 Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Oh yea!!! Lots of em' If the actual body isn't still there, you can definately tell where it was!! What a mess. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest tarbaby Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. they are definitly moving around more but i dont think it is from the start of the rut... give it about 2 weeks before its hot Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest TnLadyhunter Posted October 25, 2006 Report Share Posted October 25, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Ruts kicking in here in East Tennessee I have actually seen bucks chasing lately. In two days I saw a buck chasing a both days. No big ones but they are starting to chase. I LOVE IT!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ravin R10 man Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. The bucks are just dogging the does, but the does want nothing to do with the bucks at all...harvesting is in full swing, and most of the car kills are just deer traveling to and from newly harvested fields...the breeding phase is still about 1 week away. this is far Northern Wis. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
woodsman2230 Posted October 26, 2006 Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Saw two within 100 yards of each other yesterday Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jeramie Posted October 26, 2006 Author Report Share Posted October 26, 2006 Re: The Ditches Say, The Rut Is On. Saw another little buck this morning. Usually I see a lot of does but this year its mainly bucks. They have all been pretty young. I guess we had a lot of bucks produced last year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.