Swamphunter Posted November 15, 2006 Report Share Posted November 15, 2006 I have to admit...I have been lazy when it comes to post season scouting. Usually after the season, I get back to my woodwroking and make all the Christmas things I am supposed to. This year will be the first year I am really going to try and do some post season work. Here is my question... 1) I am putting out my trail cam over some trails leading to some food sources in hopes of capturing some bucks that have survived the hunting season. What else should I be looking for and what does it mean?? How should what I find affect my following years hunting? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted November 16, 2006 Report Share Posted November 16, 2006 Re: Post season scouting?? What does it mean???? It means if you find good sign like the Pic's below you Hunt there during the next Season. ...and you do the Happy Dance when you also get a DMP for that area when you buy your license Look for Game Trails...to find out "How" and "Why" deer are using a pathway, where they are traveling to and from, also secondary trails that are less used, as well as ambush points along the way... Look for Scrapes with overhanging licking branches...especially ones where multiple trails intersect... ...And when you find nice rubs connected with all the other information....You'll have to schedule your upcoming sick days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted November 16, 2006 Author Report Share Posted November 16, 2006 Re: Post season scouting?? Ya, but it is tough with 3 feet of snow Gary. I am not talking springtime scouting, more late December early January scouting. I do love that rub and that trail though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
QDMAworks4me Posted November 16, 2006 Report Share Posted November 16, 2006 Re: Post season scouting?? I live in NY as you do, very close to the tug hill plateau so we see lots of snow. I found one of my best tree stand location by walking around in the snow and watching where the deer are walking. Yes some of the paths are going to be a little different during the winter and the hunting season because they are strictly going to food during the winte rbut I found where the deer are walking through the thick stuff on there way to the food sources and that will most likely not change. Once I found the trail I went back in the spring and hung a stand and actually shot 2 nice 8 points out of that the past 2 years and if the rut actually gets movning here in NY am pretty confident I will this year also. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted November 16, 2006 Report Share Posted November 16, 2006 Re: Post season scouting?? Ken, You may find some Rubs but thats about all the sign from the previous fall you will find. IMHO...If you scout during 3 feet of Snow what sign you'll find is a Yarding Area. You'll find an area with the least amount of snowfall possible...You wont find Scrapes in that yarding area but you will find Beds...lots of them, and overbrowsed forage! I did that kind of scouting this past winter as well...thats exactly what I found! I definitely found a Yarding Area.... A main trail leading into it: Alot of Beds...and digging through the snow to find food: ...and regrettfully part of the circle of life: The sign your looking for is from the previous Fall! Look on ridges, even small ones, for sign like these trees that have rubs on them from a couple years in a row: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted November 16, 2006 Report Share Posted November 16, 2006 Re: Post season scouting?? Dont do much scouting to be honest Ken. I make minor adjustments as the seasons go on, but being I have been hunting the same property here behind the house for over 10 years now, I generally have a bit of an idea where the deer go, and the main trails they use. I do note what they are doing during the turkey season and use the cams to get an idea of what is around though in the off season. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.