CVA Wolf


Recommended Posts

Guest HaDeRonDa

Re: CVA Wolf

GWSmith has one I think. He was shooting right along side my Omega. Great gun.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one after I saw how his shot.

Gitcha is right. Easy to clean it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I've not handled the CVA wolf but have handled a few samples of CVA. I am certainly not in love with their products. Call BPI (CVA importer) and ask how much their barrels are proofed for and you will not get a straight answer. Call any American muzzleloader company and you get a straight answer. If a load of not more than 90 grains is used they are likely to last a very long time but their owners manuals seem to indicate that loads far in excess of this are safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I have a wolf and while I do not believe they are the best on the market they are very accurate and worth the dollar.

Ive owned a few different ML'ers from Traditions, CVA, and even an H&R. Honestly for the money id look at the H&R sidekick.

If you're set on the Wolf you're not going to go wrong. I am shooting 120grn of Pyrodex. Im going to step that back to 100 this next year but for now Im holding good groups at 100yds. There is nothing wrong with their accuracy. If you take the time to test deferent loads and powder combinations you will find they can shoot every bit as good as you would expect from a ML'er. I just picked mine up last year and thus far have killed a coyote and a 7-point. Both were just as dead as if I had used a higher end ML'er.

Again, the H&R is about the same price and a far better choice (can be ordered at Walmart for the same money or close). However, if you decided on the wolf he will be happy with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I have a CVA Wolf, I got it last year and it was my first one but I dont have any intentions of upgrading anytime soon. I didnt kill anything with it but then again, I never shot at anything. I was impressed with the groups it shot at 100 yds and I never shot out past that. I was shooting 130 gr of pyro pellets and power belts that were 245 gr(i think) I say go for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

MuzzleLoader003-1.jpg

I do have one and like it!

It's not the top of the line Muzzleloading rifle but it will shoot well if you take the time to find out what Load the gun likes the best.

IMHO it's not a long range rifle, especially with the short barrell length, but I did not buy with the intention of taking 200yd shots with it.

I had the chance to shoot this rifle through a chronograph and found out something I feel is very important I pass on:

This rifle is rated for 150gr Powder charge but...

After I got to 120gr and above of 2F Black Powder there was No Increase in speed!

In my opinion(with my rifle and choice of bullet/powder combination) any powder charge higher than 120gr is not being completely burnt.

I actually got the best grouping @ 100yds with a powder charge of only 90gr 2F BP, a 240gr bullet, and 50cal MMP sabot. It took alot of time on the range to figure out what combination works the best in this particular rifle...but thats owed to any game I attempt to shoot with it.

I can shoot 20+ shots through it(spit patch/dry patch inbetween each shot), without pulling the breech plug, and the breech plug never has any fouling because I use Teflon Tape to seal the threads. The Teflon Tape seals the threads so well that it only takes a light bump on a ratchet handle to loosen then I can unthread it by hand!

With the break-open action it is very easy to pull the breech plug and very easy to clean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest shotist

Re: CVA Wolf

[ QUOTE ]

I actually got the best grouping @ 100yds with a powder charge of only 90gr 2F BP, a 240gr bullet, and 50cal MMP sabot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be very common with CVA rifles...90-100gr of propellant. Don't short change how lethal that will be at 90gr of 2f.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I just picked up a CVA wolf 2 weeks ago. Gander Mtn had them for $139. I topped it with a T/C blister pack of a Simmons3x9x40, Gorilla grip rings and weaver style bases for $69. Out the door I was $227 lighter. A good value for the money. I have not shot it yet, but will very shortly. This gun, I believe is designed around pellet propellant use.

It replaced my 1st smokepole, one of T/C's original inlines a Thunderhawk (1989).

The folks I know who have a CVA, have had great results with Power Belt bullets and 100 or 150 gr pellet charges.

GW, is the powder that is not burnt, going beyond 120grs due to the short bbl on the wolf?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I actually bought one very cheap last year on clearance at the end of the year.Paid 59 or 69$ for the gun brand new.Im not a CVA fan by any means, they screwed me over pretty good on an earlier gun I bought but for the price I couldnt pass it up.

Decided to sight it in today and went to get bullets, found a cheap variable power scope with the mounts included for 40$ while I was there and bought it not expecting much, just to throw it on the gun and see what it would do really.

I was shooting 75 grains of 777 and 250 grain shockwaves.I gotta say, I was more then impressed with what this gun did.the scope was only off a little right from the start and we soon had it zeroed in after about 4 shots at 25 yrds.Backed up to 50 yards and it shot three bullets through a small water bottle I had hanging up you could cover up with your thumb.made a small adjustemt to the left on the scope and backed up to about 80 yrds.Two more shots through the bottle that were touching each other. Finally the last shot I aimed at a small deadbolt lock that was in a door we had propped up in the burning pile.At 80 yrds I put the bullet through the lock, its only about 1 1/2 inches around.

Ill be the first to admitt Im not a great shot by any means but I was really impressed with what Id put together for around 100$ total.The gun never became hard to load even after 9 or 10 shots, the groups were good and very consistant.The only problem i had was with the cheap aluminum ramrod that came with it.It broke in half last fall when I attepted to load the gun and had to be replaced.This year Im going to leave the Knight in the closet and hunt with this one.Hoping to try some longer ranges this weekend just for fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest inhunter

Re: CVA Wolf

This is my second year with my Cva Wolf mag I agree with the heavy trigger pull, but that would be my only complaint Last year plowed a 12 pt at 20 yds ran 50 yds with a big hole in his chest 245gr aero tip 2 days later dropped a doe in her tracks at 95 yds Last friday 115yds dropped the biggest deer of my life in his tracks green score 170 3/4. And tonight 50yds yearling split his heart in two! I am very happy with my gun. I bought it because of the distance you can shoot these things anymore didn't want to spend a bundle. Actually got a couple of buddies pondering giving up there shotguns!

Just my 2 cents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: CVA Wolf

I also agree on the trigger being a bit tough. I took it to a indoor range last night after I boresighted it. Put a 3-9x40Simmons on it. It was shooting good 4"groups@ 100 yards with 2, 50gr 777 pellets pushing a 295gr Powerbelt. I think it may be the best value out there for a basic meat and potatoes smokepole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.