hand tool question


buffett1

Recommended Posts

Re: hand tool question

For use around the home a twelve point set will probably be up to most tasks and is a better cost investment. When it comes to professional use a six point set is a must, but not always required for the job at hand. They both will break with enough force and I never told the Snap-on man I used a three foot cheater bar when I broke a $20.00+ socket. As far as the socket fitting the bolt or nut, simple, use the right size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: hand tool question

I don't use tools often, but did take a materials testing class in college and scientifically, the 12 point should be better because there are more contact points to spread out the pressure. But after reading that so many have broken more of them then the 6 point, I wonder..... So much for science! LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: hand tool question

[ QUOTE ]

the 12 point should be better because there are more contact points to spread out the pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be true if you were using it on a 12 sided bolt head. wink.gif When the bolt head is only 6 sided...the 12pt. will still only contact at 6 points.

I prefer 6 points because it seems I'll eventually round the head or the inside of the socket of a 12 piont.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: hand tool question

I prefer a six point socket. They are far less likely to round the corners of the nut or bolt you are working with.

Never had any problems with any Craftsman or snap on sockets or wrenches breaking in 6 points, but did break a 1 3/4 inch 12 point cheapy socket once working on a tractor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: hand tool question

hey boys. here's the mechanic herecool.gif well heres what i have learned. 6 point, you use when possible, they are the best socket because they do not round off the edges of the fastener. but, if you have limited space to use your ratchet, u have to go with a 12 point, because it is twice as easy to get the socket on the fastener and you have more room to ratchet. but, i would definetly get 6point sockets before you buy 12 point sockets hope this helps!grin.gif:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.