VTbowman Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Every year I say I am going to but them old trust rust 870 pump makes it out there with me. LOL Ok not rusty but its an old reliable gun with a nice little red dot on it. However since switching back to compounds from a 3 year trad bow fetish, I feel my effective range is roughly the same as my 870. Anyone else planning on using a bow for turks this year? I know Josh (VTbowhunter) will so dont bother posting-LOL JK buddie. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gitcha_some Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? id figure id make a little dea with myself....since i havent shot a turkey the last two season, if i get one this year with my gun ill take my bow with me for the remainder of the season to try and get my second Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhino Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? Not here in MS Shawn. The birds are just too darn wary here to use a bow unless you're in a blind. I hate sitting and waiting in a blind. Just not my cup of tea. I'm still tossing around the idea of taking my bow to Texas though. Last year one guy in our group of 6 did and bagged 2 Rios but missed 5 too. That was using our preferred tactics without blinds. I hate to call our tactics run and gun since us old farts can't do much running. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hunterDWL Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? i hunt with my bow from time to time and have killed several it will see some time in the woods this spring to Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Exturkinator Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? gun only for me. I don't own a bow - although, I'm still thinking about getting one for a try at deer and turkeys... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VTbowman Posted March 6, 2007 Author Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? [ QUOTE ] id figure id make a little dea with myself....since i havent shot a turkey the last two season, if i get one this year with my gun ill take my bow with me for the remainder of the season to try and get my second [/ QUOTE ] This was always my plan too but the 1st bird just does not want to play ball. LOL I dont mind sitting in a blind if its in a good spot. LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? [ QUOTE ] The birds are just too darn wary here to use a bow unless you're in a blind. I hate sitting and waiting in a blind. Just not my cup of tea. [/ QUOTE ] Same here. I ain't a sitter in turkey season. No way. And if a guy relied on his bow for turkey meat......he'd be awfully hungry most of the time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tlott89 Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? i use shotguns Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? Bow til it gets late in the season and then I might pull out the ole 835. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dukey Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? BOTH. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tecumseh Posted March 6, 2007 Report Share Posted March 6, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I use the gun first and if I bust one I'll use a bow for the rest of the season,I plan on tkaing it on my Georgia hunt. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
boomer Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I got my first bow to hunt with just for turkeyhunting 9yrs ago. So I preferr to chase them with a bow. I will start out with the bow first due to a bow season starts at the end of month. Shotgun season starts mid-april. We get 3 tags this year for the first time so it might be 2 bow and 1 shotgun. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Covehnter Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I'll be using the string in Georgia but the boom stick on the out of state trips. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest psefirestormlite Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I'll hunt with a bow for the first couple weeks and my good old 835 for the end of the season. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ryan1990 Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? im trying out my bow for the first time this year. if you have any tips for me post in my thread called " trying the bow" if it dont work out ill grap the shotgun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
slughunter Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I am along with both of my buddies. The only reason we are doing it is because it will look better on out hunting video, shotgun is a lot easyer than bow so were gonna give it a try. -shane Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest tarbaby Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? We have a new archery only season that starts April 1. It runs the 10 days before regular season opens up so you can bet that a lot of birds will be called in but whether or not we can close the deal is the big question. Jason Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest IAbooner Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? Bow or nothing for me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest pintail711 Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I just use my dads Benelli M1 field. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
arrow32 Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I dont plan on even taking my gun out. Big words considering Ive never killed a dang bird. But have been shooting every day and shoot x's so Im confident Ill hit em just if the setup is right and so on. Just will have to wait and see. Will go ahead and shoot that 870 some just incase. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adjam5 Posted March 7, 2007 Report Share Posted March 7, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this y I won't even be taking out a weapon this season until my 2 oldest boys(15,13) get a bird. Well maybe to shoot back up Then Dad gets down to business The boys have the youth season 1st which is one week before the regular turkey season for the rest of us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
turkaholic Posted March 9, 2007 Report Share Posted March 9, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? I will fling a few this year. I must admit I love bow hunting everything but I still haven't killed enough long beards to switch over to bow only. I keep saving that for when I need more of a challenge. So far 20 years of turk chasing and its still a challenge with the gun. I keep suggesting to the state that they have an early bow season but no luck as of yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fenderhunt4 Posted March 9, 2007 Report Share Posted March 9, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? i'll be heading out for the archery week in kansas and switch back to my ol' benelli come the home season. i may try my send one at home with a bow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Rob Posted March 9, 2007 Report Share Posted March 9, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? Seeing as how I don't own a shotgun I'll be using the bow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
huntinguide Posted March 10, 2007 Report Share Posted March 10, 2007 Re: How many are using arrow vs shot shells this year? arrows then shotshell Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.