christsavedme Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Well today was the day that I have been waiting on for what seems like forever. Our season opened this morning in TN and let me tell you.....I was ready. To start off got up about 4:30 this morning for my usually mugg of coffee before the hunt and sat down on the ole sofa to browse the weather channel. Wouldn't you know it....winds at 4:30 were 15 mph and looked like they were going to be getting stronger as daylight approached due to the storm front headed our way! The thought crossed my mind to just go back to bed....but I quickly put that at rest. Soon I had the Jeep loaded and was headed for our place in TN. After about a 45 min drive I arrived a little later than I wanted but it was just starting to break day so I knew I would be ok......I would just have to hurry! I soon arrived at the first spot of the morning where I knew there were some birds a couple of weeks ago. I got out of the Jeep and just listened as all the woods seemed to be waking up. Well all the woods did except for that ole tom I wanted to hear shouting from the tree tops....LOL. I sat there for about 10 -15 minutes just listening and nothing. I hooted a couple times and once again nothing. I decided at this point to head to my second choice. When I arrived there soon I was facing the same results as before....silence. At this point I decided to go with what I did know and that is one of our food plots that is known for stut zones......So off I went. I arrived there about 6:40 and sat up 2 dekes and eased off the food plot where I could see everything. About 7:00 I finally heard the first bird of the morning......He was at least a mile away. At that point I decided to pull some tricks out and just see what happend. Mind you the wind was now about 20 mph and gust higher than that. So I pulled the ole box call out and got down on it.....Loud!!!! What was that in the near distance......GOBBLE!!!! I knew where he was the bad part was he was about 200-300 yds away. I decided to pull out my new custom pot from Williams Custom Calls ( Will show it later, but got to say.....Alex is the man!) and try to seduce this love sick Tom! Well wouldn't you know it....by about 7:15 this dude hasn't moved.....He is still gobbling his rump off, but he ain't movin any closer. So I pull out the ole gobble tube and give it a whirl. Now I have used this before, but never had a bird respond the way this one did. Before I knew it the bird had closed in to about 100 yds and was now in sight and wasn't alone. He had 2 more nice gobblers with him, but he was the only one putting on a show. It didn't take but about 5 minutes for him to close the distance.....here he comes double and triple gobbling with the others in tow.....coming straight at the dekes......and boom! BIG BIRD DOWN!!!! This is my first opening day bird and will have to say probably one of the most exciting hunts for me to this day! Anyways just wanted to share....Don't worry team....I'll get him entered by the end of the weekend. His stats: 19 lbs 10.25" beard ( couple of strands push 10.5) spurs 1" on each side Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest bowhunter56 Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Nice going Josh...well told....andy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dartonman Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! I get to be the first to give the big congrads....that is a great looking bird buddy....nice job...........al Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
VermontHunter Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! CONGRATS on a great looking Tom and a great hunt.... Cute baby as well ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhino Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Ahhhhh,,,another believer in the gobble call. Congrats on a great hunt and great bird. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
toddyboman Posted March 31, 2007 Report Share Posted March 31, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! THe ol' gobbler calls seems to be pretty popular this year!! Congrats on a great bird!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest INHunterman Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats on a fine bird! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest HoppeMan Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats, man!!! Great looking bird! Take care, Nathan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congratulations on a great bird Josh. Was pretty windy here this morning, heard some birds, but had no luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beagleboy Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! congrats Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hoyt03 Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! nicely done Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest deerhntnwithdogs Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! congrats Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarineBwhnter Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats!! Nice bird! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nut Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats on the hunt. Sometimes it pays for it be windy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Turkeygirl Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats!!! Very nice bird! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chrud Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats! Nice bird! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest beardbustr Posted April 1, 2007 Report Share Posted April 1, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Congrats on a nice bird!!!!!!!!! That was a good story too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
boomer Posted April 3, 2007 Report Share Posted April 3, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Nice bird! Congrats! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Squirrelhunter91 Posted April 3, 2007 Report Share Posted April 3, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! Awesome story!! Congrats on the opening day success! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sportsman2500 Posted April 3, 2007 Report Share Posted April 3, 2007 Re: Great opening day in TN! congrats on the bird. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.