Born2Hunt Posted June 13, 2007 Report Share Posted June 13, 2007 I have a Comp-n-Choke tube for my 835 and I love it, kind of.!? At 40 yards the patteren opens up and I can take most of the chest feathers off the turkey. By most I pretty much mean all of them! The shot I am using carries deep into the bird and ruins alot of the breast meat. 10 - 35 yds I don't have this problem but at 40 yds I will have a bald bird. What do you think my choices are or should be? I'm using a 835 with the Comp-N-Choke and Winchester 3 1/2 #5's xx turkey loads with 2 1/4 onces of shot. This is not even the high velocity or heavy loads just the cheap ones. I know I should not complain about killing birds but someday I would love to have a turkey mount. Marc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MichiganHunter Posted June 13, 2007 Report Share Posted June 13, 2007 I went an bout 3 chokes and 3 boxes of rounds and shot them all (tryed each) i had the same issues with the comp-n-choke i had the best luck with a "Primos Jelly Head" and remington 3 1/2in 12gag Premier High Velocity Magnum Copper Plated Buffered Turkey Loads and at fifty yards i shot my bird this year Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted June 13, 2007 Report Share Posted June 13, 2007 Marc....... What constriction is the tube?? That will dictate (to some degree) which shot size and shell you should be trying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Born2Hunt Posted June 13, 2007 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2007 Marc....... What constriction is the tube?? That will dictate (to some degree) which shot size and shell you should be trying. I don't remember right off but it is the constriction for #5's not # 6's. I will look and see! Be right back with you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Born2Hunt Posted June 13, 2007 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2007 Comp-n-Choke XX full Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted June 14, 2007 Report Share Posted June 14, 2007 Marc....... The XX-Full is recommended for #4's and #5's. But I've found it to be a tad open for my liking with #5's. I'd suggest trying a 2 oz. high velocity load (like a Winchester Supreme, etc.) through it. I shoot C-N-C XXX-Full tubes which seem to like the lighter 2 oz. loads better. I'm not sure it'll work that way for you with the opener tube. But it's worth a try. You never can be sure what will work until you actually sit down and try it. I've seen some REALLY off-the-wall combinations turn in monstrous patterns. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Born2Hunt Posted June 14, 2007 Author Report Share Posted June 14, 2007 I tried 2oz high velocity loads from Winchester,Federal and remington and the choke did not like them at all. However the 2 1/4 oz loads worked very well with 130 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yds. The problem is with all that shot in a 10 inch circle there is even more in a 3 foot diameter. Killing a turkey at 40 yds is not a problem ,point and shoot. I may get a XXX Comp-N-Choke this summer and play a bit. Strut, do you think I should try #6's because they carry less energy? At 43 yds I sent shot through the breast of a 23# turkey and into the chest cavity. Who needs a head shot! I would almost say this is an OTP turkey gun!!!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leo Posted June 14, 2007 Report Share Posted June 14, 2007 I don't think it's an energy issue. You're just sending a curtain of #5s downrange that's gonna cause a lot of "balding". Your gun is patterning plenty tight. #4s will have less pellets in them won't tear the bird up as bad and kills them quite dead You're pattern won't look as impressive with #4s as it does with #5s. But trust me that's on paper only. The birds won't know the difference. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted June 16, 2007 Report Share Posted June 16, 2007 If you're putting that many pellets in a 10" ring at 40 yds. maybe you don't need a new tube. Maybe you need a new point of impact. If you have adj. sights or optics on your gun, move your P.O.A. up so your 10" circle with the 130 hits is centered up on the bird's neck. That should put most of the shot where you need it and less of it down in the breast. Try it. It works. It's an embarassing moment for me if I have to dig a single #6 out of a bird's breast fillet when I'm dressing him. Thankfully, I almost never have to. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.