jerdanmagic Posted January 23, 2008 Report Share Posted January 23, 2008 Last year was my first year to chase gobblers, and I'm hooked. I borrowed a gun last year, but this year I will be using my Remington 1100 with a 26'' barrel. I've already got my targets to do some patterning, but I'm just looking for advice on where to start. If anyone has a similar setup, I'd be anxious to know what combination of loads and chokes has given you the best results. Thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jerdanmagic Posted January 23, 2008 Author Report Share Posted January 23, 2008 I've got several factory choke tubes for it, but I am most interested in any about the aftermarket chokes (Primos, HS Strut, etc.) and how they perform with the 1100. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
3seasons Posted January 28, 2008 Report Share Posted January 28, 2008 I don't have an 1100 but i do have 2 1187's one (3.5")has a 23" barrel the other (3") has a 26". I also have an 870 with 21" barrel. The 870 is my main turkey gun but ive tried a lot of different choke\shell combos with it in over the years. I have to say out of all the combos that I've tried the Preston Pittman ported choke and the Fed. Flight Control #5 3" 2oz. has patterned the best for me with all three guns. The original Pittman choke is almost impossible to find, but StarDot bought him out. You can usually find them on ebay. Don't let the price fool ya, they can compete with the most expensive ones out there(I've tried most all of them). Still it will depend on your gun. Try as many different combos as you can(call you friends and swap up one day) Its a lot cheaper than buying a lot of different chokes. Just my $.02 Most all chokes out there are ok, just find the one that you have complete confidence with. Hope this helps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jerdanmagic Posted January 28, 2008 Author Report Share Posted January 28, 2008 Thanks for the info. Just gotta wait until it warms up a bit so I can get out there and do some testing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elnor Posted January 30, 2008 Report Share Posted January 30, 2008 My Remington 1100 loves Winchester Xtended Range 3 inch #5s through HS Strut HS Undertaker choke. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jerdanmagic Posted January 31, 2008 Author Report Share Posted January 31, 2008 Thanks Elnor! I saw an Undertaker on sale the other day at Bass Pro, I may have to go back and get it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elnor Posted February 1, 2008 Report Share Posted February 1, 2008 Let me know how it works for you if you do get an HS choke. I've shot at three birds in the last couple of years using Undertaker HS chokes: The first with my 1100 (first pic, 19 yards, April 2006) and the other two with a Mossberg 835 this past spring (35 and 50 yards). All three were DRT. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NiteRunner Posted February 1, 2008 Report Share Posted February 1, 2008 My dad has an 1100 that is the best turkey killer around! He just has the modified choke it came with and uses the cheap Remington 3" turkey loads. It's hard to beleive but that thing keep the pattern tight! I wish I had a picture of one of our practice targets, but there's nothing left of it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.