Dad's last hunt - Tribute thread


Swamphunter

Recommended Posts

Finn's post about gutting his Dad's deer got me thinking about hunting with my Dad a couple of years back. My father is now to ill to hunt and will never be physically able to again. :( I miss those days, and I wanted to take a moment to post the pic of the last buck he ever killed, it wasn't a monster, but I was with him when he did so. Lets see your pics of your Dads last buck if they no longer hunt with ya. Or if you are lucky enough to still be tagging along with Dad, lets see a pick of him anyhow...

7654100_5052.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess that I am one of the Oddities in my family. Other then one cousin, I don't have any family that hunt. I have always wondered if my dad would enjoy it. But he never has shown an interest in it.

Glad that my family will have a hunting tradition in it. Hunting with my children is something I look forward to when I start my family.

THanks for sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iwould love to hunt with my dad!!I guess you could say it is somewhat of a dream!!My parent split when i was a baby and my dad has always lived a few hundred miles away!!He hasn't hunted since moving to pa(and i don't know why)!!I guess my hunting partners growing up were my gramp and my uncle!!Wish we would have taken pics but they did it to feed the family so when they did harvest it was like a normal day to them!!Anyways would love to hunt with my dad!!Great post swamphunter!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dad started us deer hunting when I was in 7th grade. He hunted with us for about 25 years. Sat on stand every weekend, but he never shot a deer. He went to the cabin just to be with the boys & the group.

He nver admitted what we all knew, till after he quit hunting, that he saw plenty of deer, just never wanted to shoot one.

I remember one opening morning, I walked in to his stand to get him like we planned. When I got there he was very excited & said " Look at the ground", it had snowed most of the morning & the area around his stand was covered with tracks. He said he had more the 15 deer within 50 yards of his stand, , but according to him "No Bucks".

Funny thing, he had my younger brouther sit there the next day & he shot his first ever deer, a nice 7 point.

After my dad quit hunting & we were talking about things, he said he was hoping Ross wuld has shot the big one that was with the 7 point the day before...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dad never hunted deer, but he did hunt small game, namely pheasant. I posted a little essay of sorts a few years ago in this forum, and I saved it. Here it is:

My Dad

I remember as a kid, my dad would take off about a week during November to go pheasant and rabbit hunting with his brothers. My dad wasn't as serious a hunter as I am now, but he enjoyed getting out with his brothers and walking around I think.

The day before his hunts dad would pull out the 870 16 gauge Wingmaster, lay it out on the dining room table and clean and lube it up. I distinctly remember the smell of Hoppes #9 and coffee mixed, and the sounds of the slide being jacked back and forth when he was done and the smile he gave me at the sounds and smells.

I was hooked. I guess I was about 8 or 9 when I started asking him if I could go hunting with him, His usual reply was a patient "In a couple years."

On the day of the hunt, Uncle Ted would show up before I went to school. I would hop out of bed early to send dad off and to see Uncle Ted or Uncle Ray. Uncle Ted smoked a cigar and again that smell intermingled with dad filling his thermos with coffee was unbeatable. I remember helping dad pull on his boots, and brush pants and then I would try to lift his field jacket laden with heavy shotshells.

When dad got home, it was down to the basement to clean the bounty and listen to the stories.

Dad finally gave in to my begging when I was about 12. I carried my Red Ryder BB gun and never even shot it, but I was out walking with my dad and my brothers, and that's all that mattered.

That’s how I got started hunting and I imagine I will do that with my sons someday too.

Dad turned 70 this August. He's said he'd like to go out again sometime. The last time I remember hunting with dad was on my place about 10 years ago I'd say. He borrowed my boots, and an old vest. I only had 3 16 gauge shells, but dad only needed 1. My old dog Jake pointed a rooster after we walked right past it. The bird went up, I missed, but dad didn't. :D

I can honestly say, that was one of the best 1/2 hour hunts I've ever had. I was giggling like a little school girl. Dad took it all in stride. I don't think he had any idea what walking with me that day meant to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will have to look for any old pics but my dad never was a huge hunter, in fact he only took 3 deer that i know of. He always went out with us but never killed anything. He claims it was his gun and bad eyes:), i think he just wanted all of us to get a crack at the deer instead.

That did change one year when a huge 12 pointer ran by and he blasted it with the used S&W 12 guage i had bought for him, unfortunatly a guy down the ridge shot it as it ran past him and he refused to give it up. Man i wanted to rap on his skull for that:rolleyes:

Luckily i have my dad around still and am looking forward to a hunt this year with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...I don't think he had any idea what walking with me that day meant to me.

I know that feeling too Chris;)

It's hard to really explain how blessed we feel having these memories of them.

Dad thought I was being silly taking all the pictures of him last year. I told him I needed them for when he decided my training was over;)

He still does not know how much it meant that he and his other deer from last season were on the trailer I constructed just for hunting with him:

Dad-"What are you taking a picture of this little deer for"???

Me - Dad...Who said I was taking a picture of the deer?;)

PICT0001-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man Gary..that is an awesome pic of you and your dad. As I sit here I am choked up, and can't say I don't have a bit of a tear in my eye thinking that I will never stand beside my dad in the woods again. It hurts...

I do have my son that can stand by me though, and through the pics we take, can feel good about growing up together, him and I, and if it wasn't for my Dad getting me interested in the outdoors, I would't have these memories that I am making with my son. I LOVE the way this thread is going......this is an great tribute to our Dads.

7654102_6095res11.jpg

7654102_6020res.jpg

7654102_6023res.jpg

7654102_6025res.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some great pics posted and a good thread for sure. Got plenty of pics of my dad, but unfortunately have none of him hunting or fishing. Sure do wish I would have had the opportunity to have been closer to my grandparents before they passed to have learned more about my dad, but I was pretty young when they passed away too.

Although my stepfather was really into guns and collected he was never serious about hunting. Aside from a co worker at my first job who occasionally brought in venison and told stories, never really had anyone attempt to get me interested in hunting, guess I kind of think it just kind of comes natural for some of us. My grandfather had a passion for the outdoors, as did my father, only natural that I do and my kids seem so far to also have the same interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Mr. Swampy, thanks for posting this.

My Dad was not a hunter but I was the only Grandson of a very avid outdoorsman.

I have memories of him carrying me up a muddy bank in New York while squirrel hunting when I was about 4 years old. The old man and I would camp on the New River in WV after he retired and catch cat fish. When I was still in school, I would go to visit in the summer and we would cut fire wood for deer season at the old family farm.

We deer hunted together every year either in NY or WV.

He passed in October of 2000 and I actually quit hunting for a few years.

But now, when I head out to the woods, I somehow know he is with me. Soon enough, my son will be sitting next to me in the stand making a new life time of memories. I know the old man would have been proud of the seven pointer I shot last night..

I don't have the words to express how I miss him, I just don't...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost my dad in 1984, but he left behind a lifetime of memories. I remember my first time to go deer hunting with him. I was too young to carry a gun, but we sat in the woods and I remember it being one of the best times of my life. I shot my first deer sitting in his lap. I think I was either 8 or 9.

Dad, I didn't say it nearly enough when you were alive, but I love you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dad never hunted, i don't think he has ever even shot a gun but my grandpa was a big coon hunter. I was always interested in deer hunting so he did alot of research on his own and started taking me deer hunting when i was about 12. Me and grandpa hunted for a few years together and had a great time. He cared nothing about deer hunting but he would take me because i was so interested. We had the best time just being there together. He is almost totally blind now and can't climb the ladder to the stand. Even though we really didn't kill many deer, the best memories was when we were hunting together

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

Great stories. I have been lucky enough throughout my life to have a family that is very hunter oriented. I can remember the days of hunting with my grandfathers when i was young. I grandpa would put us in a ground blind, built out of limbs, and we would sit there all day. Grandpa would have the old military canisters that he would light to keep us warm and wouldn't really care if he seen a deer or not. Those are the day i will remember for ever. I still go with my dad ever year and actually pass on opening weekend of shotgun in IL to spend time with Dad in MI hunting on state land and hoping you see a spike. LOL.

One story and i will be quite. Me and dad were sitting in a ground blind and dad had a bait pile out about 40 yrds. Now this is before these high speed bows came out so 40 yrds was a long shot at the time. Probably early 80's. Well he had this 6 pt come on the other side of his bait pile and dad took the shot. It was a 50 yrd shot and dad put it right through the heart. Watched the deer run off and pile up on 30 yrds away. Dad said to walk out there and let him know how many steps it was to there. I walked it off and "yelled" back to dad "60 steps" at the top of my lungs. My dad just lowered his head and put his finger up to his lips. Can't wait till i have that experience with my kids. Thanks for listening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i still have the great oportunity to hunt with my dad. when i was 15 i got my first deer a basket rack 8. earlier in the day i missed a six. i was so mad at my self and my dad came to see me. he skipped work to help me look for sign. after finding nothin he went back to work and i went back out hunting. two hours later i shot my first buck, what do you know he came back and helped me gut it. my dad and mom owned there own plumbing and heating buissnes and were very busy, working 10 or 12 hours a day. but i guess thats a fathers love. needless to say the buisses went south and closed causing my family to file for bankruptcy. Now he works on the road and i dont see but at the holidays when he is home. last year i went to canada with my uncle who has been helping my family out while my dad is gone working, and we both shot huge deer. i was upset that my dad wasnt there but i knew that he wold love to be. he was they very first person that i called and told. he has only been there for one deer that i killed but hey i learned everything that i can while he was there. Now a week form today i am going to ontario canada, and yes my dad is going. i cannot say how happy i am. My father has been the biggest inspiration on me and that will never change. many more years to come hopefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have any pics of Dad's deers loaded up here onto the computer. But we are still hunting together and sure hope we are for a long time to come. We are planning to go out Monday morning for a bowhunt then he has to leave to go to some Parent Teacher Conferences.:D To bad for him.

Anyway I do love hunting with my dad even if we aren't around each other all the time and what not. Its the ride there and the ride home when you get to talk about all the days events and just talk in general. See I don't do much talking with him about much of anything because I'm not an opening person so this is a good way for me to talk I guess I dont know. Done rambling now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mark_85

Well My dad is still around. My earliest hunting memories with him is always waking up on saturday morning early watching cartoons then as soon as he got up I would ask Are we going Rabbit hunting ? He'd grin and say let me get some coffee. Off we'd go. He's never been much into deer hunting but he's gotten into for me and taught me and took me out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.