mike Posted May 5, 2009 Report Share Posted May 5, 2009 Any lawn fanatics around here:D I have been invaded by a couple things this spring. One is carpenter ant and i think I got a handle on those little boogers:cool: The other is Creeping Charlie, what a pain in the rear! I don't know what to do to kills this stuff without possibly hurting our other plants. Other than calling in a pro at the tune of $150 an application with a total of 7 applications a year what works for you all:confused: any help would be greatly appreciated. With all the morons running around in here I figured a couple of us would be lawn morons too:p:D:D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redkneck Posted May 5, 2009 Report Share Posted May 5, 2009 You need a three-way killer. 2,4-D is not as effective on ground ivy as some other broadleafs. Best to apply in the fall. But if you go to lowe's or your garden center, look for ones that have 2,4-D as well as dicamba. It may take a couple of applications but you should get it under control for not a lot of $. Hope that helped. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redkneck Posted May 5, 2009 Report Share Posted May 5, 2009 I'd also get a spreader/sticker for best effectiveness. I've also mixed in a dab of dishwashing liquid when i didnt have any. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
crazyfarmer Posted May 6, 2009 Report Share Posted May 6, 2009 I just put 2-4-D down last week on my yard for the dandylions as well as clover thats coming up in my yard. My yards 2.5 acres though LOL. I use the real 2-4-D and not the walmart watered down stuff though and it works wonders. The good stuff will normally take out any broadleaf, so dont get it on your plants/flowers. Being a farmer has its pluses but you need a license to buy the good stuff though:) I mix mine with liquid nitrogen so I kill the weeds and get one heck of a green yard. It actaully burns the tips of my lawn though for a few days:) but for 150bucks, you should be well able to handle it yourself. How big is your yard btw? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mike Posted May 6, 2009 Author Report Share Posted May 6, 2009 I mow about an acre bud, I do know some farmers around and could get my hands on some 2-4-d. Might try that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted May 6, 2009 Report Share Posted May 6, 2009 Prepare for a protracted battle. Creeping Charlie is a tough weed. Dicamba is better than 2-4-D. I use Weed-B-Gone or the Bayer stuff is pretty good too. You will likely have to spray all season long though. Target this weed now, and as Rookie said, in the fall. If you don't have a whole lot of it, and can stand the smell, take a rake and rake it up, it's not that deep of a root, but keep an eye on the area you raked and spray any new plants that come up. My neighbor has it bad, and it creeps onto my lawn every year. I start spraying it (and his ) right about now. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redkneck Posted May 6, 2009 Report Share Posted May 6, 2009 Yeah, you'll find plenty of ppl out there that have used only 2-4-d and only made the creeping charlie mad. You need dicamba, but you can get this in a 3-way for best results. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Randy Posted May 6, 2009 Report Share Posted May 6, 2009 http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/plants/BG522.html Don't know anything about it but, this may help. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
crazyfarmer Posted May 7, 2009 Report Share Posted May 7, 2009 you could always kill the whole yard and use some good roundup;) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.