Something I Noticed


Tominator

Recommended Posts

Went to the dentist the other day and noticed when I was scheduling my next 6 month checkup he had moon phases on his calendar. After I set the appointments I went back and looked at October and November.

I don't know about other hunters, but I'm a firm believer that moon phase plays a part in the rut, and I like when the new moon in October falls right around Halloween, but this year it falls in mid October (18th), which means this year's rut is going to be funky for us in the north.

Thoughts?

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php?month=10&year=2009&css=moon.css&Submit=Go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rut has been pretty funky here the past couple years Chris, not sure how much the moon has had to do with what we have seen. The phototropic timing surely has something to do with the rut though with days getting shorter around the timing of the rut, I personally still think consistant cool weather greatly increases the activity of those bigger bucks during daylight hours during the rutting periods, not triggering activity but increasing it. Would be nice to see November weather in November here this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the moon could play a part in it but there are other factors also. Seems like we have had a trickle rut in the area I hunt for the last three years and other people in difrent parts of the state say they have been haveing a strong rut that is very obvious. Only way to know for sure is to be out there every day I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the dentist the other day and noticed when I was scheduling my next 6 month checkup he had moon phases on his calendar. After I set the appointments I went back and looked at October and November.

I don't know about other hunters, but I'm a firm believer that moon phase plays a part in the rut, and I like when the new moon in October falls right around Halloween, but this year it falls in mid October (18th), which means this year's rut is going to be funky for us in the north.

Thoughts?

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php?month=10&year=2009&css=moon.css&Submit=Go

Last year it was really messed up. Didn't see a lot of activity except in the early bow season. I did see a big buck last year try to pick up a doe with his antlers, he was trying to stand her up to breed, she didn't want anything to do with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a weeks vacation slated for the 3rd week in November. I hope the moon phases cooperate; I will be in SE Ohio and I can't move my vacation. I went during Thanksgiving a couple years ago and I felt like we were a little past the rut. I hope to have better timing this year!

I think you'll be a little late again, but who knows with the weird moon this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I read about it, the more I believe there may be something there.

The less I see tells me it may be a bunch of malarkey.

Hard to say for sure so you can't rule it out but on my end, countless shining efforts after dark have drawn me to the conclusion it's not to be relied on for the following days activity.

JMO- know a few fellas that swear by it and have have the trophies to show for it.

Who am I to say?:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to this years moon phase, i would bet on major activity picking up as that full moon begins disapearing, probably around early to mid week the second week of November...Full moons, such as in the beginning of November are always tricky, but the bottom line here is that, November is November, and anything can happen at any given time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have heard this year Chris the rut may be earlier as well due to the moon phase. I believe in them and why not.

Full moons light up the woods, bucks can see better and be on the move more during these hours, the same hours we can't hunt. So I think it is a key role.

Now I just need to pick what days would be best and put in vacation for! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.