Tominator Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 Went to the dentist the other day and noticed when I was scheduling my next 6 month checkup he had moon phases on his calendar. After I set the appointments I went back and looked at October and November. I don't know about other hunters, but I'm a firm believer that moon phase plays a part in the rut, and I like when the new moon in October falls right around Halloween, but this year it falls in mid October (18th), which means this year's rut is going to be funky for us in the north. Thoughts? http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php?month=10&year=2009&css=moon.css&Submit=Go Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 Rut has been pretty funky here the past couple years Chris, not sure how much the moon has had to do with what we have seen. The phototropic timing surely has something to do with the rut though with days getting shorter around the timing of the rut, I personally still think consistant cool weather greatly increases the activity of those bigger bucks during daylight hours during the rutting periods, not triggering activity but increasing it. Would be nice to see November weather in November here this year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
backwoods07 Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 Rut? That actually exists? Apparently you have to have deer on your farm to notice the rut. From the little change in activity that we occasionally see, I do believe moon phase has an effect on peak activity. Can it move the peak 2-3 weeks forward or backward? I'm not too sure... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HUNTINGMAN Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 I think the moon could play a part in it but there are other factors also. Seems like we have had a trickle rut in the area I hunt for the last three years and other people in difrent parts of the state say they have been haveing a strong rut that is very obvious. Only way to know for sure is to be out there every day I guess. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Casey Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 Went to the dentist the other day and noticed when I was scheduling my next 6 month checkup he had moon phases on his calendar. After I set the appointments I went back and looked at October and November. I don't know about other hunters, but I'm a firm believer that moon phase plays a part in the rut, and I like when the new moon in October falls right around Halloween, but this year it falls in mid October (18th), which means this year's rut is going to be funky for us in the north. Thoughts? http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php?month=10&year=2009&css=moon.css&Submit=Go Last year it was really messed up. Didn't see a lot of activity except in the early bow season. I did see a big buck last year try to pick up a doe with his antlers, he was trying to stand her up to breed, she didn't want anything to do with him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dawgitall Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 I have a weeks vacation slated for the 3rd week in November. I hope the moon phases cooperate; I will be in SE Ohio and I can't move my vacation. I went during Thanksgiving a couple years ago and I felt like we were a little past the rut. I hope to have better timing this year! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted August 30, 2009 Author Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 I have a weeks vacation slated for the 3rd week in November. I hope the moon phases cooperate; I will be in SE Ohio and I can't move my vacation. I went during Thanksgiving a couple years ago and I felt like we were a little past the rut. I hope to have better timing this year! I think you'll be a little late again, but who knows with the weird moon this year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
woolybear Posted August 30, 2009 Report Share Posted August 30, 2009 The more I read about it, the more I believe there may be something there. The less I see tells me it may be a bunch of malarkey. Hard to say for sure so you can't rule it out but on my end, countless shining efforts after dark have drawn me to the conclusion it's not to be relied on for the following days activity. JMO- know a few fellas that swear by it and have have the trophies to show for it. Who am I to say? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bloodtrails Posted August 31, 2009 Report Share Posted August 31, 2009 Roger that!:robot: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
layin on the smackdown Posted August 31, 2009 Report Share Posted August 31, 2009 According to this years moon phase, i would bet on major activity picking up as that full moon begins disapearing, probably around early to mid week the second week of November...Full moons, such as in the beginning of November are always tricky, but the bottom line here is that, November is November, and anything can happen at any given time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RangerClay Posted August 31, 2009 Report Share Posted August 31, 2009 I have been a FIRM believer in moon phases for years. Charles Alshiemer wrote the best book on the subject. http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/book_moon.html It is definately a must read. I have worn mine out. His store is sold out but if you want a copy go to Amazon and they have used versions at a decent price. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AdvantageTimberLou Posted September 1, 2009 Report Share Posted September 1, 2009 I have heard this year Chris the rut may be earlier as well due to the moon phase. I believe in them and why not. Full moons light up the woods, bucks can see better and be on the move more during these hours, the same hours we can't hunt. So I think it is a key role. Now I just need to pick what days would be best and put in vacation for! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jeramie Posted September 1, 2009 Report Share Posted September 1, 2009 I guess im a rare one. I dont follow the rut as close as others. I just hunt and once I start to see some chase I get excited! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tom2008 Posted September 1, 2009 Report Share Posted September 1, 2009 Was looking at that too Chris. I guess we'll see what happens between October 20th to the 31st. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.