sskybnd Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 any one else have trouble getting busted when your late season bow hunting, went today, last weekend to hunt, i love to hunt the early bow season couse theres plenty of leaves to help you hide, but when there all gone you kind of stick out like a sore thumb, i use my climber alot so i can move around with the trails that i find after all the leaves are gone, any way i see a doe coming from around 90 yards and she gets to about 60 yards and looks right at me blows and takes off, i have good camo and the sun was at my face, and she was coming in the front of me. just wondering if any of you have the same problume hunting the late season.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rhine16 Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 Yep, sure do. Gets real tough right around December here. Lack of foliage and the pressure from the gun hunting make killing a deer with a bow real hard. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BearClaw Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 I hunt in a tree with no branches to hide me.In fact, the area I hunt has a lot of trees that way, the branches all high. My Gorilla is around 18 ft up and I wear Realtree APG with plastic leaves attached to my ballcap and wear a facemask. I've had deer 15 yards from my stand look straight up at me and go back to feeding, until I shot them that is. Only time I've been busted is when I was moving and didn't see the deer until it was too late. Whatever I do just seems to work. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
joeaveragehunter Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 I always get in a poplar right next to a pine tree. We don't have any open hardwoods by us, so it isn't that difficult to find a decent tree. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angelo21 Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 Cool Hi guys, be careful on hunting and be sure you enjoy it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BigDog Posted February 28, 2010 Report Share Posted February 28, 2010 its hard here too, I try to find a good oak tree to hunt out of, they still have there leaves till March or April Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Kat Posted March 1, 2010 Report Share Posted March 1, 2010 Gosh our season has been over since Jan 15. I don't feel sorry for you . Try hunting from the ground Rob. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dbHunterNY Posted March 1, 2010 Report Share Posted March 1, 2010 I try to climb until I hit limbs with my climber that way I get more cover behind me. Where I hunt that's usually anywhere between 10 - 20' up. I've even started hunting more on the ground and bought winter camo coverups. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ruttinbuc Posted March 1, 2010 Report Share Posted March 1, 2010 I try to find triple or double trees I can put my climber in. I carry a few folding screw-in steps for this purpose. They come in handy if you have to start higher in the tree. Nothing like the protection of another tree to lean into to stay unseen. It would not hurt to use lighter camo either. Predator or Snow camo is even better than the blobby dark stuff we use other times with leaves on the trees. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
swohiodave Posted March 5, 2010 Report Share Posted March 5, 2010 later in the season i try to climb up high enough so i have some branches around me or try to find a tree that has a split base and climb of the heavier side and get between them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.