Swamphunter Posted December 9, 2006 Report Share Posted December 9, 2006 Do you guys build platform stands at all? I don't mean full shooting houses...I mean a simple platform nestled in a tree, very small 2' X 2' and very inconspicuous?? I want to build a couple next year because to be honest with you I am tired of setting up and taking down 4 or 5 lock-ons. I will still use 1 or 2, but would like to build a couple over some areas that I place stands in year after year. I only hunt my property about 1 or 2 every 3 weeks so it is not like I really over use a stand site. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shawn Posted December 9, 2006 Report Share Posted December 9, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? ill be honest with you, i like building stand more than ladderstands or climbers. i love the fact that i dont have to lug it in or out, or take it down at the end of the season. matter fact today when i was watching those bucks i actually looked at trees to build a treestand at my usual spot. nothing like a good ole 2 x4 treestand Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nutz4bucks Posted December 9, 2006 Report Share Posted December 9, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Yeah i build them. but not in a tree,there to dangeruos for me. trees move in the wind and grow that's not good with nails or even worse screws they will snap.play it safe.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ravin R10 man Posted December 9, 2006 Report Share Posted December 9, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? sorry, shooting houses for us in gun season. only thing with those platforms are, the next year you cant trust them because the nails are pulled loose, and steps may be bad too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shawn Posted December 9, 2006 Report Share Posted December 9, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? i had a treestand in between 3 trees that i used for 5 years never having to re-screw or re-nail. the only reason i stop if another tree fell right in the middle and took it out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sskybnd Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? yes i do it seems like it works out when you have a few places in a remote area, they will last for a few years, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PAstringking Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? my camp has always used wood stands built out of 2x4's because they are cheap, sturdy, and reliable. we put them in areas overlooking fields, bowls, and bedding areas. use lag bolts into the tree and it wont sqeek or move. also great for taking kids in the woods. 1 adult and 1 kid comfortale in a tree isnt found by any stand under $100. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I dont build squat...especially at the price of lock-ons these days. Their inexpensive enough now to leave them in a tree chained on all year long(on private property)...and their a whole bunch Safer than Wood. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I've built them with buddies and we use lag bolts to screw the frame to the trees, and then build the platform off of the frame. The only thing I worry about leaving a cheap lock-on in the tree is rust and seat damage. The platforms (built in between the trunks of 3 trees growing close together), are checked every year for weakness before being used. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Everything I have built Ken, has been from steel. With steel prices where they have been lately though, I can buy a stand cheaper than I can buy the steel. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TOMSD5 Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? i deid years ago ...the only thing like others have stated they get week and work loose....i had one that was only used one season...went in the following season to check it and prepare it and down it came ....yes i broke my neck changing my life completely....yes i do hunt but it's a lot different now...after being paralized and being in rehab for 2 years learning to do for myself and walk again me myself would not suggest it ...use or buy a metal type standand aafty vest and use it ...this is my opinion...be safe out there... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] Everything I have built Ken, has been from steel. With steel prices where they have been lately though, I can buy a stand cheaper than I can buy the steel. [/ QUOTE ] You know William, you got me thinking...I went searching and came up with this... Less than 40 bucks Man, that would be less than using pressure treated wood, and the hassles of building it. Plus it CAN be moved should the situation change. Could leave something this cheap there year round and if it ever needs replacing or gets stolen, it would be a big heartbreaker. I think I'll actually go with these. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JimPic Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I've built platform stands and ladder stands using2x4's.I hunted out od one stand for 10yrs before the tree died.It just fell over this year.The ladder stands i still hunt out of regularly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wtnhunt Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Got a gorilla hangon very similar to that one from wal mart Ken. It is definitely not a stand for an all day sit. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Finn Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Swampy, I agree about the price of hang-ons being worth not building. I don't put up alot of stands, so it's not a big deal taking a couple down. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? What makes it tough up here is taking them down when they are frozen. All my belts and locks get froze and they can be a real pain to get down. The other day my fingers hurt so bad trying to get the straps that were froze solid to move, and to come off the side of the tree, I dang near left them for the first time. Big pain in the butt for sure once the ice sets in. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Finn Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Yeah, I can see where that wouldn't be much fun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] Yeah, I can see where that wouldn't be much fun [/ QUOTE ] Theres only one way to de-ice a frozen lock quickly in the woods after a hunt.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PAstringking Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Yeah, I can see where that wouldn't be much fun [/ QUOTE ] Theres only one way to de-ice a frozen lock quickly in the woods after a hunt.... [/ QUOTE ] hahaha Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
OUTSIDER Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? We are buildng a handicap accessable platform for my friends son. We are going to put a ground blind on it for him and his chair in rifle season. It will built on the ground with treated boards only. I am not crazy about tree stands built in trees. I like my summit hang on stand personally. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I have a summit climber but it is nice to tip toe into the woods with nothing on my back when I can. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] The only thing I worry about leaving a cheap lock-on in the tree is rust and seat damage. [/ QUOTE ] Hey....Aluminum Dont Rust (and you can spray paint the bolts too) I spray paint all my stands so oxidation is not a worry either. About the only thing I worry about is theft and limbs falling on them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TxBowHunter Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Me and my dad have built 3 or 4 of them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] The only thing I worry about leaving a cheap lock-on in the tree is rust and seat damage. [/ QUOTE ] Hey....Aluminum Dont Rust (and you can spray paint the bolts too) I spray paint all my stands so oxidation is not a worry either. About the only thing I worry about is theft and limbs falling on them. [/ QUOTE ] Ya Gary, but the cheap ones usually have that wire mesh flooring on them and that DOES rust. I can post a pic of mine that were out all this season and to think that I had touched them up just last year! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GWSmith Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? LOL...I use so much paint on my stands that their 3lbs heavier after I'm done...Aint Nuttin Rustin Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.