Swamphunter Posted December 10, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] LOL...I use so much paint on my stands that their 3lbs heavier after I'm done...Aint Nuttin Rustin [/ QUOTE ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest HaDeRonDa Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I've seen his stands. He's right! I couldn't tell where the weld was or if he just decided to use too much paint. LMBO JK After talking to Gary this fall I painted mine bronzetone. It fades to a military green in a few weeks. Go buy some 2" angle iron and drill holes for bolts for the 3/4 " marine grade plywood (treated) and then lag the iron to the trees and then put the top on. < $40 and it's not going anywhere. Less chance of theft as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tom2008 Posted December 10, 2006 Report Share Posted December 10, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I've built only one and its for rifle season. It looks over our clover field, but other than that I use portables. Occasionaly I'll use the stand that my uncle built. It has been there for 3 years and is still as sturdy as it was the first year he built it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Doc Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Generally speaking, I do not use any treestands because of being uncomfortable with heights. But I do have one stand that I can get into for a while that only leaves me a little bit edgey. The platform is about 10 feet off the ground and is 5' x 5' with 2" x 4" railings all around. It is built completely out of pressure treated lumber and is mounted to the tree with 2" x 10" beams that are lagged into the tree with 5/8" diameter x 8" long lag-bolts. The 5' x 5' platform is made out of a layer of 2" x 4"s with a sheet of 1/2" pressure treated plywood on top and then roll roofing to make the surface skid-proof. The ladder is one section of a construction grade extension ladder. Most likely, that stand will be there as long as the tree is still there and long after I am dead and buried. Lol.....even at that, I still find myself hanging on to the railings most of the time. Doc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Antony Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? My dad built a stand in our woods upward of 10 years ago. It's still sturdy as ever. I won't use them though. I just don't feel safe enough. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tominator Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I have a mess of white pine trees on my property that aren't big enough to hang a stand on yet. I've been thinking of getting a tri pod stand, or making my own stand out back for a number of years now. I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
QDMAworks4me Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I have built a lot of them and plan on building three this winter if the snow does not get out of hand, if not they will be in the spring. It is a lot nicer going to a trestand that has a big platform and is something you do not have to do anything but climb up in the tree and sit, no attaching it to a tree and making noise first thing in the morning. I am not going to work hard and have idiots take my treestands off the tree and steal them from me. I agree with Tominator to many thiefs in this world Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Hunter36 Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Build them all the time. We usually build them in trees with multiple trunks or support most of the weight in big branches. Avoid dead branches. I shot my buck this year out of a stand built 25 ft up supported between 4 tamarak trees. all of the stands we build area minimum of 15ft up with no ground supports. We check them twice a month during the summer and hunt them during bow season up to shotgun season. steps are by far the most upkeep. make sure they are sturdy and not rotted. not a bad idea to use screw in steps and take them in and out with you keeps people from using your stand when your no there. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. [/ QUOTE ] "Thiefs"?????????????????? Come on, professor........................ I mean............really!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted December 11, 2006 Report Share Posted December 11, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I don't build squat in a tree. Several reasons: ...safety factor from year to year. ...co$t of lumber compared to hang-ons ...permanent platforms encourage you to hunt the same place all the time, year after year, even if somewhere else might be better that year. ...Don't like defiling my trees. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LETMGROW Posted December 12, 2006 Report Share Posted December 12, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I have quit building stands out of wood. Born2Hunt has one which is basically a free stand which is made of wood. It is built to lean against a tree and is tied into it. It has worked well, but we keep a close eye on it. We replaced the ladder a short while ago. The ladder on my wife's stand rotted out and I replaced it with pressure treated 16' 2x4's and steps. Total cost for the materials was over 90 dollars. The following week I bought 2 metal stands on sale for $49.95 each. I added a kit which included pads and a shooting rail for an additional $19.95. I bought these at Dick's Sporting Goods. Every year I have to reinforce the platform on my wife's stand as the four trees it is built in grow and move. NO MORE! It will be steel only from now on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 12, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 12, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. [/ QUOTE ] "Thiefs"?????????????????? Come on, professor........................ I mean............really!!!! [/ QUOTE ] Thieves.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted December 12, 2006 Report Share Posted December 12, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. [/ QUOTE ] "Thiefs"?????????????????? Come on, professor........................ I mean............really!!!! [/ QUOTE ] Thieves.... [/ QUOTE ] Thank you Swampy!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 12, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 12, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. [/ QUOTE ] "Thiefs"?????????????????? Come on, professor........................ I mean............really!!!! [/ QUOTE ] Thieves.... [/ QUOTE ] Thank you Swampy!! [/ QUOTE ] I wonder if Tominator is aware of the error the "teacher" made. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted December 12, 2006 Report Share Posted December 12, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] I won't do the hang on thing anymore, too many thiefs around here. [/ QUOTE ] "Thiefs"?????????????????? Come on, professor........................ I mean............really!!!! [/ QUOTE ] Thieves.... [/ QUOTE ] Thank you Swampy!! [/ QUOTE ] I wonder if Tominator is aware of the error the "teacher" made. [/ QUOTE ] Apparently not.................. Or.........he's just ignoring us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LETMGROW Posted December 13, 2006 Report Share Posted December 13, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? Some teachers love to test you! You all passed! LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Strut10 Posted December 13, 2006 Report Share Posted December 13, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? [ QUOTE ] Some teachers love to test you! You all passed! LOL [/ QUOTE ] And the teacher flunked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
maytom Posted December 13, 2006 Report Share Posted December 13, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? We build ladder stands out of pressure treated lumber and then chain them to tree's on our land. From the ground to the foot platform is 14'. Sure beats having to install and remove a poratble stand each day!! I agree, trying to hang stands sure can be tiring, and you really work up a lather in the process. Try setting your portables up a month before the bowseason starts, that way all you have to do is stalk your stand and climb up into it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Swamphunter Posted December 14, 2006 Author Report Share Posted December 14, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I may go with a couple of platforms but am leaning towards the cheaper lockons from the Sportsman Guide Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Andrea Posted December 14, 2006 Report Share Posted December 14, 2006 Re: Do you guys build em\'? I have a tri-pod that we bought from somewhere. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's not high enough. (12 ft) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.